• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

any Lawyers or Law Students know the law on Cavvies?

simonrickell

I think most of us have heard about the law on Cavaliers - allowing them in to public places.

Does anyone have the wording of the law - and know how well it stands up?

I think it refers to cavaliers not being disallowed from public places - including parliament. But what constitutes a public place then?

and can a local bye law say otherwise?:paw:

regards

I'd be interested in this too. I take Dylan everywhere except where they sell or serve food unless the food can be eaten outside.
Have only been turned away from Wilkinson's and a pub once. I carry him though except for in the bank where they make a big fuss of him. They even took him behind the counters once so all the staff could have a cuddle!

The UK Cavalier Club had some research done into this and, sadly there is no documentation to prove that any law ever existed, so it was either verbal, at the time or is just a legend.

This law was the one thing my 10 year old son kept reminding me about getting a cavalier...I had to remind him we lived in the USA. lol

I bring my pup with me unless it sells food...or has a big "No Dogs Allowed" sign. Cavaliers are small enough that they have the cute factor and most businesses would be fine with them. I even took her into the jewelry store when I had my diamond re-fit.

*g* Well, the so called British 'constitution' is unwritten, so.... there's a precedent! Besides, I'd imagine it would difficult to narrow the application of such a law to specifically Cavaliers, given the 'official' origin of the breed. If Cavs were allowed, and Charlies not...!!! Imagine the ruckus!

I've sometimes been able to take Holly into 'no dog' places by saying that she acts (not that she IS- semantics, I know) as a hearing dog for me. This is perfectly true, and it does work, and I'm careful that it's understood that she's not a registered assistance dog.

Here is an exerpt from “The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – In Fact & Fancy” by Barbara Garnett-Wilson

Of King Charles II (1660-1685) it is said…

His Majesty’s dogs went – by the dozen – everywhere he went: court, council rooms, the royal bedchamber… even unopposed to church (the thought of the head of the Church of England listening to services from outside steps must have sent chills up the spine of his clergymen). Legend also imparts how “Cavaliers” were (and still are) allowed, by Charles’ royal decree, to enter any court of law unchallenged, with further permission to travel freely on all public transport throughout the kingdom. Although testing the authenticity of this legtend is highly unadvised, the sentiment rings true to anyone who loves Cavaliers.

Of course if there was in fact such a law, it would only apply to Great Britain.

I found in my experience that France is one of the most dog friendly places of all. You see them at the feet of their owners in restaurants, in banks shops etc etc. So I have to say my Cavis always enjoyed themselves when we holidayed there as they never had to be left. Thankfully they behaved impecably and never let me down.

Back