PDA

View Full Version : Heartguard vs. genetic

Pavane
5th October 2007, 03:14 AM
Anyone tried a generic version of heart worm medicine?

Karlin
5th October 2007, 11:07 AM
Didn't know they made generic versions!

My own feeling (though we don't give heartworm medication here) is that this is one of the most serious problems that could arise from the environment and I'd want to be very sure the heartworm medication was 100% working. I know the Whole Dog Journal, which is generally very supportive of holistic approaches to vet care, says this is the one treatment they do not ever recommend users try anything but the recognised mainstream products as an infestation is so serious.

I don't know how the generics would compare. If it is absolutely a like for like then perhaps I'd feel OK about it.

WoodHaven
5th October 2007, 01:33 PM
As long as it is the same exact ingredients, same strength_ it should be fine.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/images/products/group/Iverhart_Plus_large.jpg

Karlin
5th October 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks Sandy! That's useful to know for a lot of people.

MishathePooh
7th October 2007, 10:13 PM
Heartguard is guaranteed. Meaning if you buy a 12 month supply from your vet and give it monthly and your dog has a heartworm positive test, they will pay for the treatment. I doubt the generic will offer the same.

WoodHaven
7th October 2007, 10:57 PM
Heartguard is guaranteed. Meaning if you buy a 12 month supply from your vet and give it monthly and your dog has a heartworm positive test, they will pay for the treatment. I doubt the generic will offer the same.

I don't give anything year round (one of the very few joys of the "freeze" we get here) so I would never qualify.
I don't know how many clients my vet has-- but so far in 2007 he's had a half dozen heartworm positive results. Some of these are rescue dogs that had been left outside 24/7.