• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frontline/Stronghold advice please.

*Pauline*

Hi everyone! I need some advice soon before I go out please!!

I used Frontline on Dylan last time and it clearly hasn't lasted as long as it said it would. Off to buy Stronghold as this covers for ticks too.

My question is, if I give Dylan a bath now (he needs one) can I put the Stronghold on today?

I believe if I put Stronghold on first, I have to wait 24 or 48 hours before I can bath him but I don't have a pack to check the instructions.

Thank you :flwr:

I don't know about Stronghold, but that's the rule for Frontline. How do you know it hasn't lasted ? There is nothing to stop a flea jumping onto Dylan's coat, but it won't live for long.

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
For animal treatment only.
For external use only. This product is to be applied to the skin surface only. Do not administer orally or parenterally.
Do not use in animals under 6 weeks of age. Do not use in cats that are suffering from concomitant disease, or are debilitated and underweight (for size and age).
Do not apply when the hair coat is wet. However, shampooing or soaking the animal 2 or more hours after treatment will not reduce the efficacy of Stronghold.
Keep treated animals away from fires and other sources of ignition for at least 30 minutes or until the hair coat is dry.
Do not allow treated animals to bathe in water courses until at least two hours after treatment.
Avoid direct contact with treated animals until the application area is dry. Keep children away from treated animals for at least 30 minutes following application of Stronghold or until the hair coat is dry.
For ear mite treatment, do not apply directly to the ear canal.
Use of Stronghold in cats has occasionally been associated with a mild, transient hair loss at the site of application. In a small proportion of these cases, transient focal irritation may also be observed. The hair loss and irritation are normally self-resolving, but symptomatic therapy may be applicable in some circumstances.
On rare occasions, application of Stronghold may produce a local temporary clumping of the hair at the application site and/or the appearance of a small quantity of a white powder. This is normal and will disappear typically within 24 hours of administration and does not affect either the safety of efficacy of Stronghold.
It is important to apply the dose to the correct site as indicated to minimise the quantity that the animal can lick off. If significant licking does occur, a brief period of hypersalivation may rarely be observed in cats.
Operator warnings
Wash hands after use and wash off any product in contact with the skin immediately with soap and water. If accidental eye exposure occurs, flush the eyes immediately with water and seek medical attention.
Do not smoke, eat or drink while handling Stronghold.
Environmental warning
Any unused product or waste material should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements. Selamectin may adversely affect fish or certain water-borne organisms on which they feed. Containers and residual contents should be disposed of along with collected domestic refuse to avoid contamination of any water courses.

Thank you both. I only went and forgot to get it while I was out :sl*p:
Dylan has been scratching for a few days. I found one flee and killed it. I found some specks of black in his groin, put them on wet kitchen paper and it dissolved to stain the paper reddish brown so I knew it was blood.

I ordered it online then remembered the postal strike! Have to buy a second lot now from the vet! It costs loads more at the vets :neutral:

Pets at Home stock Frontline, now, but it's still very expensive, compared with online. Just check Dylan over, Pauline. It may have been a one-off that pooed itself, when the poison hit.

It may have been a one-off that pooed itself, when the poison hit.

:lol: I shouldn't laugh, but I did! I killed one a few days ago Barbara and he is still itchy. I looked at my diary and think I may have thought it lasted longer than 2 months as 2 months prior the due date I wrote down (November) was the beginning of September and I know I didn't give him any that recent. He's been treated now :D

Back