PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a day out at Crufts?

shippers
6th October 2007, 10:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever been to crufts for a day out? We were thinking of going next time round and were wondering if it is good if your not showing a dog but just watching?

*Pauline*
6th October 2007, 11:04 PM
Haven't been, would love to, make sure you find out which day the Cavaliers are being shown. Anyone wanna drive me there from Essex? ;):wggle:

shippers
6th October 2007, 11:09 PM
Thats the problem I'm not sure how to find out what day the Cavaliers are on. We'd be gutted if we missed them. Do you think if i contacted the Kennel Club they could tell me? If anyone is going we could meet up!! :p

Cathryn
6th October 2007, 11:12 PM
Where do I start?

I have been both visitor and exhibitor! Next year I shall probably be exhibiting Logan who is qualified for life and will be in the Veteran Class (age 7 and above) I can barely believe he is that old now, barely seems five minutes since I helped him be born! :( :p

OK as a visitor, wear comfy shoes, the layout is vast and you will walk miles LITERALLY!! There was a report in Dog World this year that the on call vet wore a pedometer and in one day alone walked almost 12 miles!! :eek: Also take a clean/fresh credit card as the opportunities to spend are both endless and limitless!!

Another word of advice is to wait until judging is almost over before approaching any of the exhibitors to talk to, we get VERY strung out at this show, this is what we have worked so hard to achieve for the year before, to qualify to get to this show, and believe me in a breed as numerically strong as ours it is NOT easy to qualify for the following years show let alone for life!! So breeder/exhibitors are pretty worked up and stressed out prior to going into the ring to say the least!

I went as a visitor this year and can hand on heart say I got so carried away shopping and trekking backwards and forwards to the main event ring for my daughter to watch the agility trials that I barely saw any of the judging of the Cavaliers and had to log on line when I got home just to get the results!! :sl*p:

It is a very long day and most of the exhibitors are allowed to leave at 4 if they are no longer needed so there is a mass exedus then! :dogwlk::dogwlk:

Last of all, watch out for the dreaded post Crufts 'flu!! I kid you not, every year when I go to that show, be I visiting or exhibiting, I end up with the flu, as do many others!!

I do hope you go next year, then you can look out for me and meet my wonderful Logan to boot!! :lotsaluv:

Cathryn
6th October 2007, 11:13 PM
Thats the problem I'm not sure how to find out what day the Cavaliers are on. We'd be gutted if we missed them. Do you think if i contacted the Kennel Club they could tell me? If anyone is going we could meet up!! :p

Cavalier judging next year is March 6th!!

You can find out show dates for the following year on the following websites, www.cavaliers.co.uk and also www.thecavalierclub.co.uk :thmbsup:

lady and amber
6th October 2007, 11:22 PM
I`v been on a number of occasions, its a wonderful day out not just too see the dogs but so much is going on that I could never get round to see everything, and the trade stands are a must to empty the bank accounticon_whistlingThis year while we were parking the car a lady from Long Beach over to see the show had trouble parking her hire car and run into ours luckily not too much damage done, we got talking and turned out that she also had cavaliers

Barbara Nixon
6th October 2007, 11:27 PM
Thursdays and Fridays, are the best days to go, as the weekends get very crowded. These two days have enough attendance to give atmosphere, but leave plenty of room to move about. I will be going this year and next, then will give the toy on weekends years amiss.

If you are going, wait to stock up on such things as Logic gel ear cleaner and Drontal Plus, as the internet pharmacies have even better offers for the show.

There are hundreds of stalls selling everything dog that you can think of and besides the dogs in breed, there are championship obedience competitions, agility, heelwork to music and lots of demonstartions by working dogs; too much to see in one day, really.

shippers
6th October 2007, 11:38 PM
I've booked our tickets I'm so excited!! Booked them for Thurs 6th March!! I will have to meet up with you Cathryn and Barbara at some point later in the day. :p I'll start saving for all the things I'll want to buy for Sally. Will have to find a baby sitter for her that day.

Mycavyangels
6th October 2007, 11:48 PM
I have never been to Crufts, But i have been to Disover dogs, and will be going again this year, in november :D
and i do watch crufts on TV:)

shippers
7th October 2007, 12:00 AM
I've just had a look at the discover dogs website. It seems similar to Crufts. I'm so excited never been to anything like this before.

Mycavyangels
7th October 2007, 12:02 AM
I've just had a look at the discover dogs website. It seems similar to Crufts. I'm so excited never been to anything like this before.

yer it is quite similar:D iam sure you will have a great time at crufts:D:D
You might appear on TV hehe!

Cathryn
7th October 2007, 12:27 AM
Discover Dogs is also at Crufts! Basically whichever breeds are not being represented in the judging rings that day are represented on the Discover Dogs stands usually in Hall 3 where the KC has it's stands!!

Look forwards to meeting you, better start getting Logan ready, it's only 5 months away and you wouldn't believe the work involved getting a dog ready who has been out of the ring for 3 years!! :rolleyes: Logan!! bath time!! here boy!! :lol:

shippers
7th October 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm looking forward to meeting you and Logan. You must be very proud of your boy being qualified at Crufts for life. What a star :rah:. We'll have to arrange something nearer the time. Later in the day of course when all the stress has lifted after showing.

Cathryn
7th October 2007, 12:55 AM
Sure! Would love to meet you! Veteran is usually about halfway through the order of judging, Logan has nothing to prove to any-one really, he's there on his merits and will adore the day out, just come and find us! That's the thing about being in Veteran, no pressure!!

Logan is the apple of my eye, and I can guarantee will be thriving on all the show atmosphere after his long hiatus!

Rj Mac
7th October 2007, 12:58 AM
We,ve never been either, but would definately love to make the trip down :xfngr:we'l get down next year:)

Cathryn
7th October 2007, 01:01 AM
Oh I do hope you do, it would be lovely to meet up with you as well!! :-p

Barbara Nixon
7th October 2007, 02:27 PM
Discover Dogs has the breeds showing on the day represented, too, so there will be more cavaliers and charlies to fuss, and their owners are present because they want to chat.

Are you going to take Logan to a few open shows, Cathryn, to get him back into the swing ?

merlinsmum
7th October 2007, 04:44 PM
I hope to make the trip too

Cathryn
7th October 2007, 05:15 PM
Discover Dogs has the breeds showing on the day represented, too, so there will be more cavaliers and charlies to fuss, and their owners are present because they want to chat.

Are you going to take Logan to a few open shows, Cathryn, to get him back into the swing ?

Hmm, I might if I can find one with Veteran Classes Scheduled, he always adored showing anyway and loves the chance to have my attention all to himself anyway!

He turns 7 in February so only a 3 week gap between his Birthday and Crufts, sure will be nice to show him again!! :lotsaluv:

blue_star
7th October 2007, 09:21 PM
I went last year for the first time with Maxxs_mum and it was fantastic. I had such a good time, i brought loads of stuff and could have brought even more if my credit card would have allowed, it was good looking around the cavaliers too. Although I always ask if its ok to chat with the owners and fuss the dog just in case they are just about to go in the show ring, I would hate for them to lose out on points because of me!
I know Toby's breeder is also going to be there so we are hoping to meet up again, if I do get the chance to go again it would be lovely to have a cavvie owners meet up from the board.

Cathryn
7th October 2007, 09:59 PM
It certainly would!! I am looking forwards to Crufts next year, and would love to meet up with as many CT members as possible!!! You'd all have to bring your camera's so we can get as many :snap: as possible!!

shippers
2nd December 2007, 12:23 AM
Well we have booked our hotel near the NEC in Birmingham ready for Crufts. I'm really getting excited about it now :p!! How is Logan's preparation going Cathryn? Has anyone else managed to get tickets? Would be great to meet with other board members :). I was wondering whether we need to be there at 09:00 when it opens or whether they just start letting people in from 09:00? Thought those of you who have been before will know.

lady and amber
2nd December 2007, 01:12 AM
When I go I just pay for tickets when I get there, I usually get there about 10.00 am. so I miss rush hour traffic, I don't know what time they start letting people in though, Hope to get there next year.