• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Marking everywhere

Mycavyangels

Buddy has started to mark everywhere in the house:eek:
(Mostly in my room:-|)

we think he might need to be spayed:neutral:

Well, he'd be neutered, not spayed, or he'd be very surprised! :) :)

You can talk to your vet about steps to take. I'm sure you don't want dog wee in your room! He must be getting to be a real boy now if he has started marking... :lol:

Well, he'd be neutered, not spayed, or he'd be very surprised! :) :)

You can talk to your vet about steps to take. I'm sure you don't want dog wee in your room! He must be getting to be a real boy now if he has started marking... :lol:

lol Oops:neutral:
we did ring the vet, she said we should get a wee sample off him, incase he has an infection

How long has he been doing this? If you catch him in the act and tell him no, you can stop this. Dylan only did it for a week.

Neutering stops marking inside in up to 70% of cases (figures from vets rage from 50-70%). Training is an element as well but isn't always easy or successful. Often a neutered male that stops marking in his own house will continue to mark in other people's houses. Unneutered dogs in my experience ALWAYS try to mark in houses they don't know -- I put a wrap around every intact male rescue I bring in my house now, as every single one tries to pee. :mad: It drives me nuts.

Marking (and the smellier urine intact males have) is one of the main reasons people neuter their dogs. Also there are health reasons, welfare reasons, etc I've noted before :). Your vet can advise you on the options and the reasons so you can consider what to do. If you have been having this as a continual problem I'd definitely neuter for that reason alone, but that's me. Urine rots the fibres in rugs and furnishings over time so if you miss thoroughly cleaning with enzymatic cleaner you start to get yellow bleached spots over time.

I have had prostate problems in several of the older male intact dogs that come in; none ever in neutered males. In such cases the vet has needed to neuter the dog anyway, and by this time they are fairly old guys and don't recover as quickly and the surgery is a greater risk. A condition of all dogs I home is that they be spayed or neutered if they haven't been done already.

Why Neuter Your Male Dog?
By Wendy Brooks, DVM
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS TO THE DOG?

There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog's life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.

Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

WHAT BEHAVIORAL CHANGES CAN BE EXPECTED AFTER NEUTER?

The only behavior changes that are observed after neutering relate to behaviors influenced by male hormones. Playfulness, friendliness, and socialization with humans are not changed. The behaviors that change are far less desirable. The interest in roaming is eliminated in 90 percent of neutered dogs. Aggressive behavior against other male dogs is eliminated in 60 percent of neutered dogs. Urine marking is eliminated in 50 percent of neutered male dogs. Inappropriate mounting is eliminated in 70 percent of neutered dogs.

Thankyou so much Karlin!
all that information is very helpful.
we will be booking him in soon!(poor bud) lol
But iam sure he would be a lot happier :D

Both my boys did the same around the same age - Oakley peed on my mums curtains! They both stopped withtin a short time I also made sure they had a good wee before we went anywhere that there may be a prime target - like the ends of aisles in Pets at Home:p

Lucky would mark inside pet stores (never at home though!) and also in my friend's house who had other dogs.

Once he was neutered, the marking stopped completely.

He also doesn't have the same kind of need to mark constantly on walks. He does a few times, but it used to be probably 15-20 times per walk he'd feel the need to mark! Even when his bladder was clearly empty. :dogwlk:

Good Luck. Hugs to little Buddy. He'll be okay and make sure to spoil him rotten during his recovery if you decide to go ahead with the neuter. Lucky is such a better behaved dog now, and I know it wasn't his fault before but the neuter made SUCH a difference for him.:flwr:

Back