• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

why has Holly just weed on the bathroom floor?

hollyandmel

hmmmm,

I let Holly out regualry in the garden, inbetween walks for a wee. Ive just let her out before i went in the bath, she's come upstairs with me, weed on the bathroom floor whilst i was in the bath and then bombed it back downstairs....

why would she do this???

That is strange--and confusing... Could she have a UTI by and chance? That would make her unable to hold it until she was let out.

That is strange--and confusing... Could she have a UTI by and chance? That would make her unable to hold it until she was let out.

she definatley doesent have a UTi, she's very good at retaining, too good! its strange as id just let her out.....it seems more behavioural??

There have been a couple of occasions where the same thing as happened and as soon as she comes in she had pooed on the dining room floor and immenditely knew she's done something wrong??

x

Well, a bathroom has alot of uriny and other interesting personal smells that to a dog indicate other people 'mark' there and she probably was just adding to the mix. :lol: Even if you clean up and cannot smell anything, dogs have far more sophisticated senses of smell and can pick up those scents around the toilet or say dirty clothes hampers or otherrich personal smells left in the bathroom.

Also dogs do occasionally just go places for no reason -- I've yet to meet the perfectly trained dog who will never in its lifetime wee or poop inside at some point. Every now and then I get an accident and my two boys are four and Lily is two. Very rare but it happens.

Dogs simply don't have any sense of 'doing something wrong' when they go inside but they will immediately sense our dismay and react and hence 'look guilty' or more likely, fearful and worried, because of our own anger or annoyance. They are quite able to sense things from our facial expressions, body position etc, not just tone of voice. They can also sense anxiety.

If she is going inside still regularly from time to time, she probably isn't fully housetrained and might need closer watching and some remedial housetraining (eg do not give her free rein to roam about the house; always keep her in view; reward for going outside, crate or otherwise manage her if needed inside). Chances are if she is going on occasion like this she may well have peed into carpets etc when no one is watching her.

Well, a bathroom has alot of uriny and other interesting personal smells that to a dog indicate other people 'mark' there and she probably was just adding to the mix. :lol: Even if you clean up and cannot smell anything, dogs have far more sophisticated senses of smell and can pick up those scents around the toilet or say dirty clothes hampers or otherrich personal smells left in the bathroom.

Also dogs do occasionally just go places for no reason -- I've yet to meet the perfectly trained dog who will never in its lifetime wee or poop inside at some point. Every now and then I get an accident and my two boys are four and Lily is two. Very rare but it happens.

I dont mind, obviuosly we all make mistakes, its just that she seemed to have planned it!! :rolleyes: came in with a purpose and buggered off at the speed of light!! icon_nwunsure

Yes, I can emphatise with you here, as Max has done this on the odd occasion. However, try not to read too much into it and as already been said, keep him in view or barring him from bathroom might be a good thing. I often think that perhaps we expect a lot of our doggies that they should go only at the time and place directed by us!! If they are going round the garden sniffing and perhaps do just the one wee before returning indoors, this may not be enough to empty the bladder and once indoors in an area of smell related odours the urge to empty returns? I guess it may be possible, and of course they will automatically return there if there is even the faintest scent from an earlier jobbie!!!

I have had my two for almost a year (they are around 5 yrs now) and they were not house trained when I got them so even though they are doing well I know there will be more accidents.

In fact, Bella did the same thing as Holly at the weekend. She suddenly decided she didn't want to go outside anymore - I had to physically place her outside :rolleyes:. Then she weed twice upstairs. I think it may be because it's wet out and she doesn't like getting her paws wet :)rolleyes:). When this happens I go back to basics and take her out very often and when she is out I make sure she goes even if it means standing watching her for 20 minutes.

On a more upbeat note I have taught Molly a sign "to go" (she is deaf) and she is doing really well - I'm so proud of her.

As others have said accidents will happen but I'm sure she's not doing it on purpose. :flwr:

Sally did this once on the bath mat when she was almost house trained. I thought it might have been because she saw us on the toilet and she just copied (she always barges in). As she squatted I said a firm 'no' and carried her downstairs and took her outside until she weed there and then treated her for doing it outside. Luckily she hasn't done it since. We still always treat with a lite treat after each business outside to reinforce where to go and she is 8 months now. Also make sure you clean the area with some biological washing powder in some warm water to kill any urine smells or she will continue to wee in the same spot. Good Luck and keep on at it I'm sure she's not doing it to get at you. If it continues maybe get her checked out by the vet. Try and treat and reward her for going outside then she will think it's worth going outside for the good attention.

My sister had a gsd that always went outside from when she got her at 8 weeks. No training needed.
& Becky my charlie has not done anything inside in 10 years. she doesnt even bark to be out , just sits there & waits until someone notices her.
She came from a breeder at 7 months & the house was filthy, so were she got her clean habits from I don't know.

But they are the exception. I had my sisters b/t charlie to stay last week & he pee'd up the toilet. He used to do it in the bath but must be to old to jump in & out now

This should give you all a knowing smile...Max has just showered my slippers while my back was turned!! Why is anybodys guess. So guess I should take my own advise and keep him in view, but this can be a little difficult if one is on the loo! You just have to smile don't you? Max was lying in his chair looking angelic by the time I got to him!!!

Back