• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help Sally has diarrhoea!!

shippers

I came in today to find Sally had diarrhoea all over kitchen floor! A bit of it was formed but most was watery and slimy. The poor thing. I let her out and she was trying constantly to do more. I've washed the kitchen floor twice and bathed Sally as it had got caught in her fur round her bottom. Now what do I do about her dinner? I've just got fresh water down now. I'm also wondering whats caused it. There is a conker tree which over hangs our garden and sometimes I find her with a conker and quickly throw it away. We try to brush them up the best we can but I'm worried she's eaten one. Also are these poisonous? She seems lively and playful so hopefully it'll be a one off. Any advice would be appreciated

Ok, Not too sure if conkers are poisinous (sp?\)

Most important of all with-hold food right now, if you can get hold of any then get some Kaolin and Morphine down her,(5mls), leave her water down as dehydration is your biggest worry right now, then after 24 hours gradually start to build her back up with some boiled rice and chicken, BTW the Kaolin and Morphine should be dosed about every 8 hours. If she is showing no more signs of loose bowel movements in this time thn gradually re-introduce her regular diet, if however she is still "loose" then repeat the above. Should she at any time produce blood in her movements, get her to the vet, as this is enteritous and should be vet treated.

:xfngr: Sally is feeling MUCH better very soon, these dogs seem to love to scare us with these occasionnal stomach upsets, if only they knew...........

keep us posted ok?

Just managed to get back to the computer after all the cleaning in the kitchen. My partner has taken her out for a walk and I'll wait to see what he reports when he comes back. Since I've been in no more diarrhoea but then I haven't given any food. She's had a few sips of water. She still seems bright and lively so there can't be any pain. I'll monitor her and take her to the vets if it gets any worse. I'm wondering whether to get up in the night to see if she needs to go out as I'm not sure whether she'd let us know. She's not had any accidents for months now and never cries in the night to be let out. Thanks for your expert advice Cathryn really appreciated

No Problem!

Glad to have been of help to you, the main thing is to keep her fluid levels up to avoid dehydration, the rest will sort itself out in the next day or so! Give Sally a big kiss and a very gentle :hug: from me, Oh go on then have a :hug: on me too!! ;)

Poor little Sally! It is good that she is bright in herself & is drinking. Fluid is so important. I can't add anything more than the sage advice Cathryn offered. Just don't get tempted to feed her tonight even though she may look really well. Her little tummy needs time to settle down. Keep us posted.

Well so far so good. No more diarrhoea. I didn't feed last night but have given her a handful of James Wellbeloved this morning. Hopefully she'll be ok and it's passed. I had bad visions of going back to square one with the house training after months and months of no accidents. She is drinking well too which is good and has weed. will keep you posted

I am so pleased to hear that Sally is doing well now.

I had bad visions of going back to square one with the house training after months and months of no accidents.

Oh no, you don't have to worry about this. The accidents that happen when a dog is sick or has diarrhoea doesn't set back housetraining & certainly is no indicator of how they are progressing in this manner. Anyone who has ever had a really nasty bug will know that when you have to go, you just have to go.

Well I thought Sally was over the episode of diarrhoea but she has done it in the kitchen again today. It's like watery and jelly and smells horrible. I'm wondering whether it could be these new treats we bought her caled fruit cookies that are meant to be hypoallergenic and were quite expensive. They contain apple and banana chips and i think Sunflower oil and seeds. Also recently used the kong biscuits to put inside the kong. I've booked a vet appointment and I'm off there now so will post again later. I'm really hoping it isn't anxiety when I leave her. She doesn't wee and has had no accidents for months since on Tuesday when she did the same again.

Well just got back from the vet and she seems to think Sally has either eaten something or she has an infection. She said as the stool is jelly it's from the large intestine. She has given her an injection of antibiotic and she need to take one a day for the next 5 days starting tomorrow. I also need to worm her again eventhough she was only done in September and feed chicken and rice for few days. I'm glad I'm off work next week to spoil her with days out!! :p

Glad to hear its nothing to serious. hopefully was the antibiotics kick in Sally will start to feel better.

I was wondering whether I can give the worm tablet whilst she's on antibiotics or whether to wait until she's completed the course?

I wouldnt be 100% but i think i would leave it till she finishes her course of antibiotics. to be sure i would give the vet a quick call.

Back