PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaners again – recommendations?

Caraline
10th October 2007, 02:29 AM
I know we’ve done this before, but I wouldn’t mind an update, as the market is always changing.

Last night my hubby was getting around in a pair of black socks and he looked at the sole of his feet & :eek:, he thought he’d trodden on a pair of Cavalier puppies & they’d gotten stuck to his socks.

Clearly our vacuum cleaner is not cutting the mustard, or else I have to start vacuuming every day (as if! :mad:).

So any recommendations or steer clear of this suggestions?

zizzi
10th October 2007, 06:57 AM
I, too, need recommendations because my vacuum doesn't pick up pet hair at all. I also need one with a hepa filter for allergies as my step-son (lives here on the weekends) is starting to get them!

Karlin
10th October 2007, 09:42 AM
Well, my Dyson review is in the new Reviews section in Shopaholics and there are some additional comments there too. Some also like the Miele pet vacuum. I am sure there are some others too -- I know Barbara has one in particular that she likes for example! :v*cuum: I looooove my Dyson and it is actually fun to use. :) Handles the hair of three dogs and four cats with no problem.

PS Yeah, I KNOW that black socks problem! :rotfl: Cotton isn't too bad but anything with some polyester is like a hair magnet and it matts at the bottom when it goes through the wash.

Nicki
10th October 2007, 10:50 AM
personaly i hate the Miele Cat and Dog - the bags are really expensive now and they say you should replace them when they are full. That would be at least once a week here! Instead we have to pull the hair out of the central hole - and reuse them for a bit. Which magazine did highly rate it for suction though - it does a good job with an empty bag and the tools are quite good.

I did try the Asda own brand ONN upright cleaner which is only about £40. The tools aren't very good, but the suction was brilliant - other Cavalier people highly rated it. But mine has gone wrong after only 5 months and keeps cutting out - so it's going back.

We're back to the Miele for now but saving for a Dyson LOL

ROFLOL at the black socks - could he put velcro on the bottom of his shoes and pick up the hair that way???

zizzi
10th October 2007, 11:19 AM
I've read very good things about the Dyson. I've been thinking of getting one for the past two days because my step son seems to be suffering and -- and because I'm tired of all the pet hair too. So... now I'm sitting here thinking that I'm going to run out to Comet or Currys :drivecar: and buy one and come home and vacuum like you wouldn't believe.

*Pauline*
10th October 2007, 11:22 AM
I have no problems with my little Henry and don't see the need to spend £359.99 on a Dyson compared with a Henry which costs £88.90. I would hate pushing a heavy hoover back and forth rather than the effortless light tube of a cylinder cleaner:v*cuum:. Dyson's filters have a reputation for clogging too. I don't even know where my filter is on my Henry, it's never needed attention in 7 years. The bags are tricky to put on but that's the only draw back but they don't need changing often, changed it twice since I got Dylan. A Dyson cylinder has a 2 litre capacity compared to the Henry's 15 litres and they don't seem to loose suction as they fill up. There is the James a cheaper model at £71.99 which has powerful suction and no need for bags. Or the Henry Xtra HVX 200-22 for pets.

http://www.affordablegroup.co.uk/acatalog/numatic_homecare_range.html

*Pauline*
10th October 2007, 11:30 AM
now I'm sitting here thinking that I'm going to run out to Comet or Currys :drivecar: and buy one

Look online first, you'll be paying top wack from those stores. I paid £45 less for my fridge online compared to Comet prices.

Barbara Nixon
10th October 2007, 11:33 AM
nicki, can you get a plastic slider (rather like the grip used for making booklets from sheets of paper) to fit your vacuum bags?

Our last but one cleaner, a Hoover, had one of these, which meant you could reuse bags which were only filled with hair and not clogged with dust. The next cleaner had 'use once' bags, but we kept the clip from the old one. The bag mnaufacturers obviously found the money saver was not to their advantage.

Claire L
10th October 2007, 12:19 PM
I had a Dyson DC02 for a few years and to begin with, it was a real novelty to see all the bits swirling around inside the cylinder as I vacumned but emptying was (for me) always a chore and the filters were expensive. I did buy the washable filters but who wants to wash filters? not me!
I bought a Mielé cat & dog earlier this year and I love it!! It's lightweight and compact and the accessories are great, especially the turbo head - it really does pick up those dog hairs.

I guess it's just personal choice really; whats suits me may not suit you.
Good luck with your search and I hope you find a VC that does the job for you.

BarbMazz
10th October 2007, 05:07 PM
Definitely go Dyson! I used a Dyson before we moved to the new house and it worked great. My new house has a central vac system that's even better, if you want to go that route. In my central vac manual it says to empty the bin every 6-8 months. Guess how often we empty it? Yep, every three weeks or so!! :D They obviously didn't write the manual for a household with four dogs and a kitty! The system works great though, and there is suction like you wouldn't believe.

Melissa
10th October 2007, 05:18 PM
I just recently bought a vacuum since the one I had been useing just wasn't sucking enough. I read lots of reviews on the Dyson, most were good but the bad ones were really bad. For that kind of money I was scared off. I went with a dirt devil that was 1/2 the price and works wonders. Only annoying thing is that I have to empty the container after every room... but I guess it's picking enough stuff that I can't complain.

Nicki
10th October 2007, 05:22 PM
nicki, can you get a plastic slider (rather like the grip used for making booklets from sheets of paper) to fit your vacuum bags?

Thanks Barbara will give that a try - must have something somewhere that would fit. My only concern would be that it might affect suction.

Chardonnay
10th October 2007, 05:57 PM
I have a Miele and in a household that is mainly hardwood floors with two dogs it has been a godsend. really good suction and gets all the nooks and crannies like baseboards and corners. I had an Electrolux before that and it didn't do half the job. I also like the fact it is so light weight - which is important when you have lots of stairs - and quite quiet so little Maggie isn't as terrified of it as she was of the Electrolux. Never tried a Dyson, but didn't like the designs and weights of the ones I saw when I was shopping around.

Caraline
11th October 2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I currently have 2 vacuum cleaners. One is an upright & I do prefer that style as it beats the carpet as it goes & isn't hard on the back. I have to change the bag every time I use it & they are not reusable. That makes it very expensive to run but still it is not picking up all the hair. I also have one of those central system ones where the dirt goes to a big container under the house. The problem with that one is that there are no beaters & it kills my back. It picks up heavy stuff like sand just great, but it does not pick up long hair.

From what you have all written so far I see the Dyson (I knew this one was a fave) & Miele get mentioned quite a bit. The one thing I am sure of is that I want to go with a bagless system & also an upright with beaters. I see Dyson have the DC14 with hepa that seems to fit that bill. Is anyone using that model specifically.

Karlin I remembered your review & have revisted that as I knew you were very pleased with it. That is the way I am tending to lean, but still I haven't decided for sure.

I thought I should add:

Our place is a tough cookie for vacuumcleaners. We are on acres & we do not have nice manicured lawns, instead a mix of some grass, sand, clay, gravel... you name it. So everytime both human & dog go outside & them come in, they bring in something on their feet, and it is amazing what the Cavaliers can stow in their little bedroom slippers. Still, the bottom line is that it is the dog hair that is posing the most problem.

MishathePooh
11th October 2007, 10:00 AM
I have an older dirt devil (got it third-hand) and it picks up *everything* which is wonderful. But it makes too much noise. The animals aren't really bothered by it, but it hurts my ears! Maybe the newer models are quieter though.

What are the noise levels on the other vacuums (particularly the Dyson)?

Daisy's Mom
11th October 2007, 05:20 PM
Ditto on our central vac. It works great and I love that the dust/hair gets sucked to a canister in the garage rather than just being filtered through a bag and spat back out into the room.

We have to empty ours about every 3 weeks, too, and we only have one dog! (But my daughter and I both have long hair, which constantly gets wrapped around the brush bar on the sweeper head -- I think we shed almost as much as Daisy!)

I'm thinking about ordering a replacement hose and sweeper head that has an electrical connection to it rather than just being driven by the suction. I've read good reviews about those. Anything to help with the massive amount of dog hair. Sometimes I think Daisy will be bald one of these days! And it's Fall here, so she should be adding coat, not ejecting it!

Caraline
13th October 2007, 01:00 AM
Well after going out & annoying some sales people, I've decided upon the Dyson Motorhead DC21. It is a bit of an about turn as this is not an upright but a barrel. The reason I decided to go barrel instead of upright is because this one has a motor driven power head on it, so it beats up the carpet just like the upright, but has all the flexibility that the barrel designs give. It might be a week or so before I get it. Turns out one of our sons has a contact at an outlet that sells Dyson, so patience hopefull will reward us with a good price.

Anyway, once it has arrived & I've had a bit of a go, I'll let you all know what I think.

I'll now move this post to Shop-a-holics where it is probably more appropriate for it to be.

Again, everyone thanks for helping me make my decision.

Caraline
13th December 2007, 07:00 AM
I finally got my Dyson DC21 Motorhead. For anybody interested, I've done a review here (http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=239206#post239206) :thmbsup:

cavi lover
14th December 2007, 03:54 PM
It has to be the new Dyson slimline. It is smaller and much lighter than the older models.

I am amazed how much dirt it picks up even when you think the carpet is clean!

Barbara Nixon
14th December 2007, 04:18 PM
For people in UK (and ROI?) Netto, from today , have a 2200watt Panasonic cylinder bagless cleaner at only £29.99. I have a similar , 1900watt version, that I paid around £50 for and it's ideal for stairs and quick cleanups. It's very powerful, too.

cosmic81
23rd December 2007, 09:31 AM
i do currently own a dyson..its good. but its heavy. Maybe you can consider the slim

Baneybunch
30th December 2007, 03:10 AM
Can anyone recommend a spotcleaning vacuum cleaner - like the Bissel Spot Bot, Bissel Little Green Machine, Dirt Devil Pet Spot Cleaner? Though Madison is more-or-less litterbox trained, she sometimes makes a mess. :eek:

I could really use a spot cleaner that will remove pet stains from carpet. There are a number of these type of machines on the U.S. market. I just don't know which one really works. Thanks! :paw:

cosmic81
30th December 2007, 09:13 AM
we got the bissel spot cleaner on target. it was cheap and it did the job ok. puppy usually out grow the phase quickly so i think the cheap one should be just fine.