• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Over weight cavaliers

Super Princess

We have been working with our vet for quite some time now to get olivers weight under controll.
he is chubby..yes. he goes for long regular walks, and he's on a special diet.
we are not unresponsible owners, yet some people who have absolutly no clue to our lives...feel free to post pictures of oliver on other boards..and talk me and my family down as owners.

link deleted by Karlin

I have since removed the photo of him, it was a photo of when he was accidently shaved by the groomer.

I'm sorry someone crossposted in this way. If whoever posted that, initially picked up the picture from this forum, they need permission to crosspost from the author of the post as you all own the right to make decisions about how the content of your posts are used. (y)

I've deleted the link as I don't want inter-forum arguments, but if the person who made the post is also a member here, let me know by PM, please. They have violated both board protocol and general netiquette.

Karlin

I just followed the link thats awful talking about Oliver and you like that if they don't know the full story. I'm glad you are helping Oliver and trying to get his weight down. At least you have seen the vet and are doing your best. Best of luck and keep us posted on Oliver

Take no notice of these other people they do not know the facts goood luck with all you are doing with Oliver
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

That's not nice , when you are doing your best. I had a collie cross who got enormously fat, because he was on steroids for terminal cancer and I felt very uncomfortable when people gave judgemental stares , without knowing his story.

Last edited:
That is very mean and judgemental of those people. Everyone here knows that you love Oliver and are doing what you can to help him so just ignore them.

You're doing the right thing with Ollie; just ignore those that are ignorant enough to pass judgement when they don't have the full story---usually people as pathetic as this have some issue of their own that they feel better about when attacking someone else.

I know what a struggle it is for these little ones to loose weight--when we got Abbey she was 24.5 pounds, she's now down to 17.5, but it was a very slow process--and it will be if you're doing it in a healthy way, which it sounds like you are. Stay focused on Ollie, don't give the negative issues any engery. (y)

Its not nice for people to make comments like that.
we had a fat cavalier, I once posted a photo just of her face on another forum & was told off for her being fat . So I never showed anyone photo's of her again.

As I live with my parents its very difficult to stop them giving the dogs food.
Though saying that she didnt eat half as much as the charlies & they were not fat. Looking back I think she may have had cushings.

As a breed they are very difficult to keep slim. They are greedy & they seem to gain weight easily too. Our charlies ate like little pigs in comparision & never got fat the same way as cavs do.
Its not easy at all.

Wow, that's really sad that people have that much time on their hands. If they were so "worried" about their dog they should have asked you about him not post it up on another board.

Good to hear you are working with him.

Just ignore this ignorant people. My Sam is the same he is over weight , he gets his allowance of food aday and that is it. Once a week he gets a low cal treat. I cant bring him on to long of a walk because of his heart condition.
This people must having nothing else to do. U know ur doing ur best for Ollie as long as u know this nothing else matters.

Thanks for your replies.. i didnt know if i should post it on here or not. but i was pretty upset..
(and its good idea deleting hte link karlin ..i dont wanna start any fights.. just RAWR!)
i dont know if he or she is from the board...he or she has obviously browsed the board..because i posted that picture here for hte bad hair contests..
i'll see if i can find anything out and ill PM you.

so if it was posted on photobucket... i still have the rights to it?
even if i wanted to i probably couldnt do alot seeing as i deleted the photo from photobook..and thus enabled the photo he stole and posted on there.

health is an important issue..and as soon as he has a problem (is it teh breed or maybe he's just high maitnence but he gets his issues..eyes..paw sores) i have him in the vet asap.
and because these people dont know me, my family our my dog for that matter..they can't judge weather we're good owners or not based on chubb.
you hear HORROR stories of animals being treated so horribly olies treated like a king (haha no thats not why hes chub...he has stomach issues) and insted..these people choose to bad mouth our family?

anyways again i dont wanna cause a fight i just needed to vent a bit

yeah ollies on food alouance too.. and we follow it (well hes really my parents dog..but hes my baby hehe ..he'll be coming with me hwen i move out i think (AT im in the same situation..living at home with him.) ) but yeah its like i dont htink ill show the photo to anyone again i wasnt even sure i was gonna come on HERE again (not that this was the board in question..but just because of the way it made me feel...espeically with them saying they couldnt belive i posted on here or was a cavalier enthusiest and let him get like htat)

im gonna make another topic about food alouances to get opinions. :)

That's pretty rude, Chelsea! And forward! It sounds to me as if you are doing what you can for Oliver. The nerve of some people!

Sorry to hear that. There are always trouble-making cranks lurking on the internet :(

Photobucket is a jpg sharing service and is designed to be searchable. I use it regulary for finding jpgs.

If you wish to opt out of this, make sure that your account is always 'private'.

I just found this post and it makes me sad to think of people saying these things about you when they know nothing of you or your pup. What makes some people think they can judge a book by it's cover?

I just don't know why some people get the idea that they have the right to hurt others... :(

I am really sorry to hear that Oliver's picture was used in such a cruel manner. It is strange how some people feel that it is ok to behave on the internet in a manner that would be considered gross elsewhere. Anonyminity gives the coward his courage.

Keep up your good work on getting Oliver's weight under control.

So sorry you have been unneccessarily stressed and hurt by whomever made these remarks to you. Just remember to always treat these remarks with the contempt they deserve; ignore ignore ignore. They simply want a response from you to feed their sickness. We all as Cavalier lovers do our utmost for our much loved dogs, and just like human obesity, one can never assume anything as there can be so many reasons, both medically and psychologically why obesity occurs, not that one would expect these weirdos to understand. Please let it go over your head and relax in the full knowledge that you know your own dog's needs and makes sure they are attended to, so who is then justified in querying that? Nobody. Take care and feel sorry for those whose lives are so sad that they have to resort to such tactics.

Back