• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I muzzle her?

kaytee576

Hi, my beautiful little angel kaytee is a 7 year old cavalier you have probably seen my posts on here about her before?
Well kaytee had a bad past, she was treated badly by her previous owners husband and was attacked buy a large dog at a young age, thats all I really know about it god knows what else she went through.
well she shows aggressive behaviour towards other dogs and tried to grab a Irish wolf hound by the throat when we unexpectedly ran into one in a feild, she picks people out in the street and the other week I was walking her and she flew at a old lady and she nearly fell over...then we were walking past another lady and she grabbed hold of the ladies jumper shaking it like a rag doll in front of a passing police car :(

I fear that one day kaytee will take things too far, i try to avoid people but it is difficult, she tried to bite a ladies bag yesterday and I am so scared that one day she will actually bite someone :(

I am so careful when I am out I try so hard to keep her away from passers by but when she flies I worry too as she has a bad heart so I often pick her up trying to turn her away and sometimes in the stress of the moment she has snapped at my nose by mistake luckily not hard!

She has been checked for medical problems that could cause this all seems fine, so I thought about getting her a muzzle to be on the safe side?
this way I can slowly introduce her to people and let her know they wont hurt her with out the fear of her doing damage.

Do you know what size muzzle would be best for a cavalier? do you think muzzling her would be cruel? thanks xx

PS Kaytee is an angel indoors never showing this behaviour and sleeps with her head on my neck it is such a shame :( xx

I would walk her on a muzzle -- they are not cruel at all and a good one is quite comfortable for a dog but you may need to train her to get used to it gradually. I also would not allow her off lead.

I would be more an advocate of seeing if you can find a good APDT certified trainer to work with you and her though -- careful training would help deal with the base issues here whereas a muzzle only keeps her from actually biting. You don't want a trainer that uses punishments methods. You can search for APDT trainers in your area using their website:

http://apdt.com/po/ts/default.aspx

Tara at Dog Training Ireland (and APDT certified) recommends the Baskervlle muzzle:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=192

If you PM her (she is TKC on the board, or email her through their website) she will help you get the right sizing and probably give you some training advice too. (y)

I would use a muzzle or as already said seek out an accredited behaviourist/trainer. You do have to train your dog to wear a muzzle though and I believe the basket type are best as they can still pant and drink if needed with it on. I have never actually used one though so don't take my word for it. Good luck.

You do have to train your dog to wear a muzzle though and I believe the basket type are best as they can still pant and drink if needed with it on. I have never actually used one though so don't take my word for it.

You are exactly right! :) It's important to use a basket muzzle for walks and not a soft muzzle for just those reasons.

You can always tell people if they ask that your dog gets nervous around other dogs and sometimes might snap. But as Tara notes on their training site, usually people will be a lot more polite in giving a dog in a muzzle extra space -- which the dog often needs -- simply because it is in a muzzle. :)

thanks for your advice, I saw when looking on eBay that soft muzzles allow panting, i was looking at Ancol and Mikki makes, do you think this is true? Or should I definitely go for the basket type? just thought it is more in your face then the other if that makes sense? but dont suppose it really matters I just want what is best for kaytee, thanks again xx

Why not email Tara and ask her advice? She is a professional trainer and knows the various brands. I would trust an eBay posting less than a trainer's advice.

The soft ones get soggy when they drink with them on. This one is good, The Baskerville Muzzle:

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/baskerville.php

The dog may need to be shown he can still drink with this. Just lift the bowl to his mouth while he's wearing it. A small treat inside the muzzle while putting it on helps. Keep hold of this treat through the gaps so it doesn't fall out or he can't reach it.

I'm using a Halti at the moment just for heel work. Some people think Dylan wears it because he might snap (not the case) and they don't mind commenting about it. Be ready with a reply like Karlin said, you have to be thick skinned sometimes.

Back