• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog and Bone pub

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks:

I have changed the settings on the Dog & Bone Pub to make it visible only to registered members when they are logged in. It appears as a private forum to anyone else and none of the threads are visible (it looks like an empty forum).

I have been thinking about making it private mainly because sometimes people discuss quite personal things there and thought board members might want a bit more privacy. But for members, nothing has changed -- as long as someone is a member and logs in, they can read the forum.

If having the forum set for logged in members only bothers people, let me know your views here. I don't have to have it private but I've been thinking more about privacy and personal information in recent weeks. This is one reason why you cannot see the membership list or search the site any longer unless you are a logged in member -- I just feel people should be an active member before they get easy access to certain board features or member information.

I think that's a GREAT IDEA :thnku:

There have been lots of times that I wished to post about something but the thoughts of just anybody reading it kind of put me off.

I think that's a great idea! There are some personal things discussed in there that I think only members should have access to.

Yes I think that's a good idea Karlin - I know there are some very general posts but it is good for people to have somewhere to post privately when they want to.

Well, keep in mind we do have almost 1800 members and so there are plenty of people you don't know -- or perhaps, do know without knowing they are on the board -- who can access all forums when and if they log in. It's good to remember that private is relative when you are talking about a large public board. (y)

I've debated whether to have the board be something that only registered members can see but I know from the monthly traffic that many more people read the board than are members and find the advice, discussions and Library information useful -- and a lot enjoy browsing the videos and pictures. So I can't see a strong argument for making the whole board registered members only, but thought people might appreciate a forum that isnt viewable except by members. :)

Nice move Karlin! I agree with that desision as like Pauline I can say more than I meant to!! :eek:

It is amazing the number of people who are members who simply "lurk" without posting and if you knew their true identity you would be quite surprised indeed!! I know of another board where you have to actually post in the introduction section before you are allowed to even get any further and read a thing!! :rolleyes:

Oh that is most excellent. I think it is grand that we have our own private little hidey hole dedicated to forum members. :)

Great idea, I never really think about who could be reading whatever we post, so would be nice to have somewhere private.

Back