PDA

View Full Version : Matters of conscience

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 05:14 PM
Would be grateful for your opinions on this please:
A dog loving friend visited this morning and related a rather distressing account of what she witnessed on late evening walk yesterday. As she passed a particular house not far from her own, she heard a loud whimpering coming from the garden area. She used her torch to investigate further by looking over the fence where she saw a young Cavalier puppy sitting shivering outside a small kennel. She was desperately worried and approached the owner. Using as much diplomacy and tact as she could she informed her of the puppie's distress and enquired if he was just out there to do business!(But thinking otherwise)
The owner simply replied that this was where he belonged - in his kennel and that he was just getting used to it. She left the house and says that she couldn't sleep from worry. She is frightened of repercussions should she report this, with the owner living so close by. She says the puppy was also in the garden looking totally lost this morning. Now, perhaps you will think we are both over-reacting, but personally I think this constitutes cruelty with regard to a Cavalier who according to my sources state should never be housed outside, except in cases where many of them are housed together in a properly temperature controlled kennel. The isolation alone for this little puppy must be terrible. I am now also distressed and very concerned. It brings tears to my eys just thinking of him.

Debby with a Y
12th October 2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, that poor baby! She needs to report him. That is totally heartbreaking.

Eeva
12th October 2007, 05:36 PM
Oh no! That's so shocking! Someone has to report him, that is cruel. I'm so upset now thinking of the little baby, if only I could take him away from there! And very angry at such horrid people, they don't deserve any animals.

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 05:48 PM
My poor distraught friend says that she cannot stand the stress of the knowledge she holds any longer and has been round again to the owner and taken her husband with her for support. They advised her that although they wished her no harm or trouble, that if she didn't want to keep the puppy indoors that they would be delighted to have it, and if not she was leaving them with no option but to report her. She admitted that the puppy was a surprise gift, but an unwanted one, so guess what? She handed him over without further ado, signing her full permission on paper in case of any outcome. He is a little darling apparently and is off to the vets for a thorough check-up tonight. What a lovely ending and I have to say I am totally relieved. I felt such a strong urge to go there myself after hearing the story first and would not have let the sun go down on today without knowing the problem had been solved. My friend is bringing him to see me tomorrow. Can't wait, especially as I am already getting excited at the mere prospect of aquiring a little B&T as soon as a reputable breeder can be found.

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 05:59 PM
:oSorry about the rushed last post and the bad punctuation etc. I was so excited about the good news that I could hardly write, let alone concentrate. I have stupidly used the present tense I see, so to anyone who may be confused by this, I can assure you that all has been resolved and and the little darling girl is called Melody. Perhaps all this happened for some reason, as my friend had been feeling low since losing her last dog some months ago, so now it seems she has the answer to all her prayers.:rah:

Karlin
12th October 2007, 06:07 PM
That's great news; being left outside would not be adequate shelter for a puppy so your friend could have called the ISPCA or local SPCA and you were right to be concerned. The approach she took was much better though. Hope your friend might join us here with her new baby. :)

Barbara Nixon
12th October 2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think the RSPCA would have been able to do anything, as the dog had a kennel for shelter and was presumably fed and watered. Ther have been tv progrmmes where they have threatened to remove dogs who didn't have shelter, but providing a kennel or in one case,a plastic canopy making a shelter with three brick walls, was deemed to satisfy the rules,even though far from ideal. Pehaps the new regulations changed this ?

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you Karlin. It seems that here in the somewhat remote countryside where everyone knows everyone else, that people are quite reluctant to report for fear of repercussions, but I am sure there must be a way round it, as surely their names would not be divulged. In this case I feel she did take the right course because she knew that the owner in question did know her identy and her address, so can in a way understand her concern.
I am at a total loss as to why anyone with even the vaguest knowledge of animals would behave in such a way towards a little puppy, or why indeed did she not simply return her once she realised that she didn't want her? There was a recent incidence of an owner being reported about a similar situation. She convinced the ISPCA that she merely had the puppy out there whilst cleaning the house. I can only hope that in these situations a few more intermittant checks would be made to ensure that this was the case, although I doubt if there are enough resources to support this kind of follow up.

sallymum
12th October 2007, 07:16 PM
Well done to ur friend for keeping her cool while talking to this lady. Keep us informed of how they are getting on. at least little Melody will have a nice snug bed tonight.

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 07:17 PM
Yes I see your point, but although it may be acceptable for a grown dog(Not a Cavalier) to Be kept in a clean kennel with food and water etc available, I still think that a puppy of any breed needs to be kept in a temperature controlled environment and that the isolation alone in a cold alien environment, having just been parted from his mother and siblinlings would justify blatant neglect if not cruelty. I was told categorically by breeders and Vets alike, long before I bought my first Cavalier that they are a lone Cavalier should never be housed outside in a kennel as this does not constitute a quality of life for this breed who thrive on human company. If people cannot accept this or are not prepared to have them indoors, then I feel they should consider whether they are suitable to keeping this breed.

Lynn
12th October 2007, 07:20 PM
I am in tears (of JOY!) reading this... how truly wonderful indeed your friend is...how truly heartbreaking AND heartwarming this story is. Thank heavens that the owner admitted to not wanting the pup and handed her over! For me, this is a story of devine intervention....someone / something knew this puppy needed your friend and put her in the right place at the right time. I cannot wait to tell my dh this story over dinner...I know it will put a tear in his eye too. Please tell your friend how thankful I am that she went back to talk to the owner...I would HOPE that if I were in the same situation I would have the courage to do as she did.

Celticharmony
12th October 2007, 07:30 PM
Just had another call from said friend who says Melody is just amazing and as we print is sitting on her new Mummy's lap sleeping like a baby. I imagine she thinks she has died and gone to heaven poor little angel. My husband has nipped out to get her a lovely little bed as a gift. I think he like me is getting overly paternal at the thought that hopefully in the not too distant future a little B&T will be available for us. Still doing research on breeders so I know the wait will be worth it. In the meantime, can't wait to see little Melody tomorrow.

KingstonsMom
12th October 2007, 07:42 PM
What a heartwarming story! Please post pictures when possible!!!

Rj Mac
12th October 2007, 09:27 PM
So glad to hear this story had a happy ending for Melody:D

pinkpuppy
12th October 2007, 09:48 PM
That is so amazing and wonderful news that little Melody was turned over to your friend. She's going to be loved for sure and deserves all the cuddles coming her way. Hope you will post pics when you visit your friend. Maybe you can convince her to join the forum.

Debby with a Y
12th October 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, this is the second time today I've cried while reading this thread. The second set of tears are so full of joy!!! What a fantastic ending!!!

Cathryn
12th October 2007, 10:43 PM
What a wonderful outcome!! Maybe your friend can give you a pic of Melody for you to post for us?? All kudos to her, that took courage on her part and that of her hubby to approach the owner of the puppy :thmbsup: I hope that your B/T baby will soon be with you too, wherever he/she may be, you will find each other I am sure! :xfngr: :lotsaluv:

Caraline
13th October 2007, 01:28 AM
Oh wow, that is a great outcome! Got to wonder why the original owner had the dog in the first place. Clearly they didn't want it.

Celticharmony
13th October 2007, 02:31 AM
Her misguided Mother bought it for her as a birthday present, apparently being totally unaware that she was actually scared of dogs, having sustained a serious bite while on holiday. Wish she has just bought her a fluffy toy one instead! No, I mean this really is beginning to sound like it was meant to happen for a reason and my friend and I will sleep a lot happier in our beds tonight. Melody will no doubt sleep well in her new warm and cosy environment. They have huge bedroom with bathroom en suite, so I believe Melody is in there, so quite near them. Last call said she was being an excellent little girl and had done her business on each trip to the garden. They have covered the BR floor with paper, so I guess she will be fine until am.

*Pauline*
13th October 2007, 02:36 AM
A good lesson is being brave and speaking up and being tactful. What a lovely outcome. Your friend and he husband sound like a good new owners for Melody. What a sweet name for a dog too. Thanks for sharing with us. :razz:

Eeva
13th October 2007, 07:04 PM
I'm so relieved to hear this! I was really upset yesterday thinking of the poor little puppy, this is the most wonderful ending to the story. It would be absolutely lovely to see piccies of little Melody! :rah:

Matte
13th October 2007, 08:29 PM
What a happy ending!
And beginning!

Celticharmony
13th October 2007, 09:14 PM
Yes I agree, but as you also never know who you are dealing with or how stable they are etc, I would never advocate approaching people without male support, just in case. Just so nice to receive so many good wishes for little Melody which I have passed on to my friend. To bring everyone up-to-date, Vet said she was very healthy little dog and she had an uneventul night with absolutely no fuss, is eating well and very sociable, lively and not in the least shy of anyone. I didn't even have to wait for her to approach me before picking her up for a little cuddle as she came to me straight away! I say this, as especially with other people's puppys, I take it slowly and let the little dog come to me rather than forcing him. So sorry, but like myself, my friend does not posess a digital camera so cannot post pics, although we took lots today and soon will have them round the house. We shall keep you in touch with Melody's
progress as time goes on. Your kind thoughts and warm wishes were much appreciated, and really sorry that so many of you were worried and naturally concerned as a result of this story. I assure you this was not my intention, but I desperately needed to share it with people who love dogs as much as I do.

Elaine 2
13th October 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm so pleased little Melody's found a great home with your friend, now she can be happy and loved, instead of sitting in the cold on her own

Daisy's Mom
14th October 2007, 05:58 PM
I am so impressed with your friend and her husband! (And so happy for her and Melody.) She was very brave about it, and bless that misguided woman for seeing an opportunity to give the little puppy a better life. Giving someone a puppy without bringing them in on the decision is plain stupid. I'm so glad this little puppy escaped a hellish life with a family that didn't want her. Happy ending all around!

Celticharmony
14th October 2007, 07:05 PM
Passed on all these wonderful comments to my friend who in turn thanks you all wholeheartedly. Melody is in fine spirits today and in her element playing in her huge garden which she has all to herself, but which I hasten to add is only for play times and business! In between she has been having contented sleeps in her luxurious little bed within sight but not too near a glorious log fire. She is just sooo adorable, merry and totally adjusted in such a short time to her new surroundings. My friend says she feels as though she has been given a new lease of life herself, as she felt so low following the loss of her own dog. So, we have a very very happy family. The previous owner dropped by would you believe and asked to see the puppy as she played in the garden. She had brought her a toy and there was a note with it, telling her that she was sorry for not knowing how to treat her properly. She genuinely knew so little about dogs, never having had one, that she thought she would be quite happy in her kennel in the garden! She also said she had been trying to find the best way of telling her Mum that the gift was a mistake and that the puppy would have to go to a home where she would be wanted and loved. So as the old saying goes,'never assume anything'. But also I feel the actions of my friend and her husband has taught us all that it is by actions instead of just talking that we can make real changes and that it can make a huge difference. This behaviour is so typical of my friend and why I care so much for her as a wonderful human being who is never willing to close her eyes to anything which concerns her.

freesia
14th October 2007, 07:25 PM
What a lovely ending for the little Melody, it could of turned out so much worse for her, a lot of people would of just walked by, congratulations to your friend.:)

*Pauline*
14th October 2007, 07:36 PM
Has anyone asked you to post pics of Melody yet?! ;)

Justine
14th October 2007, 07:42 PM
That makes me cross,why have animals.I think because animals cant talk people dont think they feel cold,pain,sadness etc etc......

Lisa_T
15th October 2007, 05:47 AM
That is such a wonderful, heartwarming story. And I'm sure the poor girl who recieved the puppy as a gift is feeling guilty- it sounds like honest ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty.

Re photos- even if you don't have a digital camera, most printers now have a built in scanner. Ordinary photos can be scanned in to the computer and then posted the normal way!

Celticharmony
16th October 2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Lisa and thanks for that. Will do all we can to get pictures soon. It's just that we live very much out in the sticks and quite a way from town, but it will happen. Do you have pics of your doggies on here? I note you have a B&T and as I am patiently waiting for the same I wondered if you had to travel far for your dog? If this is considered an unethical question or breaks any of the forum regulations, then please don't answer, as I am unsure.

Celticharmony
16th October 2007, 02:46 PM
:)Been round to see little Melody today and she is doing amazingly well and totally adapted to her new home. She is really placid, but also very playful and fearless. Very bidable and always stands at the door to let my friend know she needs to go out! A real little angel in fact, so I guess all is well that ends well as the old saying goes. A beautiful photo of her in a silver frame has now taken pride of place on the mantlepiece. Just sorry that we as yet haven't got round to getting them on here. Again, thanks to all who send good wishes and nice thoughts.:)

Lisa_T
16th October 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Lisa and thanks for that. Will do all we can to get pictures soon. It's just that we live very much out in the sticks and quite a way from town, but it will happen. Do you have pics of your doggies on here? I note you have a B&T and as I am patiently waiting for the same I wondered if you had to travel far for your dog? If this is considered an unethical question or breaks any of the forum regulations, then please don't answer, as I am unsure.

I don't think it does. And no, I did not have to travel far to my breeder's. I got Holly through pure serendipity- I hadn't actually wanted a B/T! Now I wouldn't exchange her for anything, neurotic stubborn little princess that she is.

Celticharmony
17th October 2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks a lot Lisa and please keep fingers and toes crossed for me that I shall be successful in finding a reputable breeder. I don't mind the wait as long as my dog is healthy, but I guess it will be a long process as most breeders within my area breed the Blenheim or Tri.

Super Princess
17th October 2007, 04:39 PM
i just read this thread..and the first post made me wanting to go rescue this dog...hehe.
im sooooo glad it has a happy ending..waht a lucky little pup.

ill keep my fingers crossed for you too!