• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fleas

zizzi

Is anyone else having a big problem with fleas this year?

We've never had fleas and suddenly this summer my cats got them. I have been using frontline AND I treated my house. I thought I had gotten rid of them as there was no evidence of them after I treated my house but now... everyone's got them again!

It seems that the frontline isn't working. I'm most certainly going to have to treat my house again. What a pain in the backside!!

It does seem to be the season for flees. Not forgetting that Frontline doesn't stop dogs from getting flees, they just won't live long on your dog :cool:

I would recommend that you hoover, hoover and hoover again - at least 3 times a day, and try to get under the furniture and in all the cracks and crevices.

This is a good way of picking up the eggs and any of the little bu**ers that are hiding!

obviously also groom everyone at least once a day, and make sure you don't have a hedgehog living in the garden, they can bring them in too.

Also worth trying is an Amethyst crystal in the water bowl - sounds ridiculous, but it really does work. It takes a few months for the effect to build up, but we've only seen a couple of fleas this year, despite living in a rural area and having wild rabbits in the garden...]

You do need to run it under running water {preferably in a river} about once a month, then leave it out in the sun for a few hours to recharge it.

As well as the above suggestions, also only use washable bedding. Anything that your dog sleeps on that can not be washed can be a source of fleas. If you do have things that can not be washed then they need to be sprayed & aired.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just purchased an animal/allergy Dyson from ebay (got a refurbished one much, much cheaper than a new one...) and I guess I'll have to wash everything and vacuum everything again. Oh, and spray.

At least my house and all its furnishings will be super clean :)

I must admit that I keep forgetting to comb everyone. I know this should be done daily.

Hi,
We had a nightmare season with fleas the whole place was infested and frontline didn't stop them living on him, we have a flea wash and this spray for him which we had a routine for using and finally he's all clear - fingers crossed! And the house is finally flea free - it was horrible! Good luck with them - I know how you feel :)

Emma...

Did you get the wash and spray from the vet?

I am waiting for my super-duper Dyson to come and then I'm going to vacuum and spray like mad. But I think it's clear that the Frontline isn't working so we're going to have to try something else.

Yep... fleas are bad news.

Also worth trying is an Amethyst crystal in the water bowl - sounds ridiculous, but it really does work. It takes a few months for the effect to build up, but we've only seen a couple of fleas this year, despite living in a rural area and having wild rabbits in the garden...]

You do need to run it under running water {preferably in a river} about once a month, then leave it out in the sun for a few hours to recharge it.

Nikki--could you explain the use of the amethyst crystal? Where do you put the water bowl? Are the fleas attracted to it? :confused:

Hi Zizzi,

I got a flea spray from the vet for the house (but buy it now from pet shop as it's cheaper) got a flea wash from the vet for Harvey but also this ultra strength spray for him as he was suffering so bad with them. We found another couple last night so he's getting sprayed again tonight. Seriously it's been a nightmare this year - I also got eaten alive by them which was so embarrassing and uncomfortable. All his bedding was destroyed and hoovering is the best thing to clean out your furniture and then spraying to kill any remaining eggs. Good luck.. Hate not letting him jump everywhere and cuddling him so much when he has fleas :-(

Just as long as I use Advantage (not Advantix) I never have a problem. Have been using it for 10 years, I never have fleas in my home.

Back