PDA

View Full Version : Sam

sallymum
14th October 2007, 01:51 PM
Just had Sam this morning at vet. His opinion Sam hasnt much time left. The new meds he is on doesnt seem to be working. We are going to try him on Ved? starting from tomorrow for 2 weeks to see if that improves things, my vet doesnt really think it will. Didnt say this to me by i could tell by him.

coconut
14th October 2007, 02:36 PM
poor sam that is terrible!!!

Barbara Nixon
14th October 2007, 02:53 PM
I hope Sam's like Izzy. I was told that and he had about 18 months, after that.

If you mean vetmedin, it worked wonders for Izzy, twice and the results are more immediate ( a couple of days) than Fortekor, which takes time to act.

sallymum
14th October 2007, 03:09 PM
I hope Sam's like Izzy. I was told that and he had about 18 months, after that.

If you mean vetmedin, it worked wonders for Izzy, twice and the results are more immediate ( a couple of days) than Fortekor, which takes time to act.

yeah that the meds i meant. They are going to combine Vetmedin and Fortekor.

Mary
14th October 2007, 03:29 PM
Hoping for some good comfortable quality time for Sam.

Nicki
14th October 2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your concerns for Sam - it can be very hard getting the balance of drugs right with MVD - Vetmedin is almost miraculous!! Unfortunately it doesn't help every dog, but for those it does, the improvement is generally very fast - within a couple of days - and very noticeable.

I really hope this will help Sam and you will have many more weeks and months with him yet.

Cathy T
14th October 2007, 05:15 PM
So sorry to hear about Sam but praying these new meds will help.

Barbara Nixon
14th October 2007, 05:45 PM
Which dose of Vetmedin an be taken in twodose levels. Izzy had the 1.25mg, for a few months, then went up to 2.50mg when the warm weather got too much for him.

NB. Be sure to leave at least an hour, after taking, before giving food. (preferably an hour before, too), though it's ok to give inside a small treat such as pate, cheese or sausage. The drug works best on an empty stomach.

Elaine 2
14th October 2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry to hear about Sam, all fingers and paws crossed in our house for him, l hope his new medicine makes a big difference :xfngr:

Claire L
14th October 2007, 11:45 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about Sam :( I really hope the Vetmedin will give him a better quality of life and please God a lot more time with you.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Karlin
15th October 2007, 12:28 AM
So sorry to hear Sam is poorly. Vetmedin by all accounts (including research papers) can definitely add quite a bit of time for dogs and bring a fast improvement for some dogs so fingers crossed he benefits in this way. He is such a nice, loveable dog.

Celticharmony
15th October 2007, 01:15 AM
Sallymum, so very very sorry about little Sam and sending positive thoughts your way that this medication will help, and at the very least keep him comfortable. So many of us have been in this situation at some time or another and can so empathise with you right now.It's unfortunate that in their efforts not to raise our hopes that some Vets choice of words at times leave a little to be desired in the bedside manner scheme of things. I had a Vet who confidently predictied a very short time for my Labrador, but on a second opinion I was given a medication which gave her a good quality of life for a two further years! I know it was probably rare, but nevertheless it just shows that it doesn't do to give in until every avenue has been tried. Take good care of yourself and little Sam and you will both be in my thoughts until we hear from you again.

Caraline
15th October 2007, 07:02 AM
I am so sorry to hear that Sam may be running out of options. I hope the medication works & gives him some more quality time.
:(

Cathy Moon
15th October 2007, 12:30 PM
So sorry Sam isn't well. I'm hoping the new medication helps him. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

Matte
15th October 2007, 02:35 PM
Good luck.

scrumpyjack
15th October 2007, 02:50 PM
:luv::(:xfngr:cavtiny from scrumpy :paw: too

sallymum
18th October 2007, 11:19 AM
Had Sam at vets Tuesday eve, the vet decided not to put him on Vetmedin yet said he would be better on Enpril 10mg does this seem right. Noticed his breathing is not great this morning. Told me to try this out for a month.

casshon
18th October 2007, 11:36 AM
Poor Sam. I hope the new meds will help. :xfngr: :flwr:

Barbara Nixon
18th October 2007, 04:13 PM
I suppose you have to take your vets advice as we are not experts and there are various causes of heart distress. My vets swear by Vetmedin, which was given to Izzy when his breathing became laboured (not panting but sides heaving).

Karlin
18th October 2007, 04:54 PM
I'd try a different vet or insist you want him on Vetmedin. Some wait to put them on but if he is really having problems I'd just say you really want to try him on this and pirnt out the research info. If he says he won't do it I'd simply take him to a different vet. You often need to be very firm about what YOU want. I see several different vets myself because some are better on certain issues than others. I rotate through three different surgeries and about 6 different individual vets.

sallymum
18th October 2007, 08:14 PM
I suppose you have to take your vets advice as we are not experts and there are various causes of heart distress. My vets swear by Vetmedin, which was given to Izzy when his breathing became laboured (not panting but sides heaving).

This is what sam is doing, he is both panting and hes sides are also heaving.

frecklesmom
18th October 2007, 10:36 PM
Don't wait it out. Call your Vet and inform him that Sam is having too much physical stress and you do not want to wait to try the other med. If you don't get the needed response go elsewhere.

toblerone
18th October 2007, 10:54 PM
Hi....

We went through this with our Gizmo. He took vetmedin for the last five months of his life. We had to push to get it since it was not licensed for use in the US at that time. It did help initially, and I think continued to make a difference for several months. But then the MVD really advanced and there wasn't much to do.

However, I do have one other suggestion. When Gizmo's breathing got quite bad and he seemed to be struggling, a major contributor to this was that he had an excess build up of fluid in his abdomen. I know (or I think I know) that different types of heart failure cause fluid buildups in different parts of the body - abdomen vs. chest.

Draining fluid helped a great deal and did not seem to cause him a lot of distress. It can/does build up again but draining can take place repeatedly, I think, if other signs are relatively stable.

Hoping for best for Sam.

Margaret

Celticharmony
18th October 2007, 11:14 PM
So sorry and hope and pray that you have since found help for little Sam. Thinking of you and how much worry and distress you must be having right now. Hang in there and know that we are all behind little Sam in our thoughts.

Claire L
18th October 2007, 11:29 PM
I would be inclined to ask the Vet why he has prescribed Enpril 10mg instead of Vetmedin and take it from there. I've only ever used Vetmedin and it worked for my Rudee for many years. I've never heard of Enpril.
I do hope you can get this sorted because you most definitely do not need all this stress and worry. I hope and pray that Sam will soon find relief from whatever meds he is on.

Love and hugs from me and my girlies

sallymum
19th October 2007, 04:39 PM
Sam has taken a turn for the worst. In vets at moment.

coconut
19th October 2007, 04:52 PM
Oh mary i am so sorry, sam has a special place in my heart always!! if you need anything to me let me know!! Fingers crossed all goes well, let us know straight away!!!!

Karlin
19th October 2007, 06:05 PM
Oh, fingers crossed for you both, Mary. :flwr: He is a special one of the rescues that have come in.

Claire L
19th October 2007, 10:00 PM
Please God Sam will turn the corner and get through this . Sending prayers and hugs :hug::hug:

Lynn
19th October 2007, 10:49 PM
Keeping Sam in my prayers. :xfngr:

Cathy T
20th October 2007, 12:10 AM
Continuing to send positive thoughts your way!

Cathy Moon
20th October 2007, 12:47 AM
:xfngr: Hoping the vet can help little Sam. :hug: Sending hugs across the ocean.

Ruth
20th October 2007, 01:21 AM
I am so sorry to read this.
I also am a great fan of Vetmedin. Pepys the little dog in my avatar couldn't lie down his breathing was so bad. He slept sitting upright with very laboured breathing. I took him down to my vet expecting to have him pts. My vet said to have one last try with Vetmedin which we did and he lived for another 12 months. He was almost puppy like and so full of fun again on the Vetmedin.

Claire L
20th October 2007, 10:24 AM
Mary, how are things this morning? a little better I hope. You and Sam are in my thoughts constantly :hug:

Cathryn
20th October 2007, 10:30 AM
:xfngr:For Sam, hoping that he gets on the right medication and is more comfortable. Will watch for news......:hug: :flwr:

sallymum
20th October 2007, 10:20 PM
good news all though not out of woods yet, :xfngr: sam will be ok.

Nicki
20th October 2007, 10:40 PM
Glad he is doing a bit better - sending lots of positive thoughts. Try to get some rest yourself now too.

sallymum
20th October 2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Nicki but its hard to rest i was a wake all last night waiting for my phone to ring. As well i was suppose to be getting the Tortie cat and her kittens tomorrow but i dont think i will have the time as i will be at the vets alot of the time, mind u have been helping them out today while there with Sam i would love to do that type of work, and when he comes home i really want to spend time with him. I feel guilty letting Karlin down.

Karlin
21st October 2007, 12:42 AM
Sent you a PM.

Karlin
21st October 2007, 08:09 PM
Delighted to say I delivered this mum and babies to Sallymum this afternoon. The mum is just the sweetest natured calico cat -- really beautiful and what a lovely personality. Her two kittens are DARLING -- they just opened their little blue eyes this morning so I got to see them looking back at me! They are just two weeks old. The boy is a very handsome marmalade, and the girl is a very unusual dark treacle tortie with white belly and feet.

Sam is doing well though he is probably in his retirement home care stage now. :flwr: I know he will get excellent loving nursing care from Sallymum and family.

sallymum
21st October 2007, 08:36 PM
Sam is home with me know lying up on the sofa been pampered. Dont know how long Sam will be with us but if one thing is certain Sam will enjoy what time he has left. Hopefully he will be around for a long while yet.

coconut
21st October 2007, 09:17 PM
i hope so too mary!! if u need anything let me know

Cathryn
21st October 2007, 10:04 PM
Glad to hear Sam is back home with you and am sure he will have nothing but the very best of care for the rest of his life with you, am sure it will be a very long time yet! :lotsaluv: Hope the Momma cat and her kittens are settling in well too!!

Celticharmony
21st October 2007, 11:17 PM
So delighted for you and Sam and now just continue to enjoy your special time back together again. Can imagine how content he must be being back with you. You have been through a lot in the last couple of days, so be good to yourself too ok?

Vickie
22nd October 2007, 01:32 PM
Pleased to hear that Sam is back home and being spoilt as he should be :) hoping that he has many more of those evenings to come too :flwr:

Sue.k
22nd October 2007, 02:50 PM
Glad to hear Sam is doing better, I am sure he is delighted to be home with you, spoil him rotten :)