• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sam

sallymum

Just had Sam this morning at vet. His opinion Sam hasnt much time left. The new meds he is on doesnt seem to be working. We are going to try him on Ved? starting from tomorrow for 2 weeks to see if that improves things, my vet doesnt really think it will. Didnt say this to me by i could tell by him.

I hope Sam's like Izzy. I was told that and he had about 18 months, after that.

If you mean vetmedin, it worked wonders for Izzy, twice and the results are more immediate ( a couple of days) than Fortekor, which takes time to act.

I hope Sam's like Izzy. I was told that and he had about 18 months, after that.

If you mean vetmedin, it worked wonders for Izzy, twice and the results are more immediate ( a couple of days) than Fortekor, which takes time to act.

yeah that the meds i meant. They are going to combine Vetmedin and Fortekor.

Sorry to hear about your concerns for Sam - it can be very hard getting the balance of drugs right with MVD - Vetmedin is almost miraculous!! Unfortunately it doesn't help every dog, but for those it does, the improvement is generally very fast - within a couple of days - and very noticeable.

I really hope this will help Sam and you will have many more weeks and months with him yet.

Which dose of Vetmedin an be taken in twodose levels. Izzy had the 1.25mg, for a few months, then went up to 2.50mg when the warm weather got too much for him.

NB. Be sure to leave at least an hour, after taking, before giving food. (preferably an hour before, too), though it's ok to give inside a small treat such as pate, cheese or sausage. The drug works best on an empty stomach.

Sorry to hear about Sam, all fingers and paws crossed in our house for him, l hope his new medicine makes a big difference :xfngr:

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about Sam :( I really hope the Vetmedin will give him a better quality of life and please God a lot more time with you.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

So sorry to hear Sam is poorly. Vetmedin by all accounts (including research papers) can definitely add quite a bit of time for dogs and bring a fast improvement for some dogs so fingers crossed he benefits in this way. He is such a nice, loveable dog.

Sallymum, so very very sorry about little Sam and sending positive thoughts your way that this medication will help, and at the very least keep him comfortable. So many of us have been in this situation at some time or another and can so empathise with you right now.It's unfortunate that in their efforts not to raise our hopes that some Vets choice of words at times leave a little to be desired in the bedside manner scheme of things. I had a Vet who confidently predictied a very short time for my Labrador, but on a second opinion I was given a medication which gave her a good quality of life for a two further years! I know it was probably rare, but nevertheless it just shows that it doesn't do to give in until every avenue has been tried. Take good care of yourself and little Sam and you will both be in my thoughts until we hear from you again.

I am so sorry to hear that Sam may be running out of options. I hope the medication works & gives him some more quality time.
:(

Had Sam at vets Tuesday eve, the vet decided not to put him on Vetmedin yet said he would be better on Enpril 10mg does this seem right. Noticed his breathing is not great this morning. Told me to try this out for a month.

I suppose you have to take your vets advice as we are not experts and there are various causes of heart distress. My vets swear by Vetmedin, which was given to Izzy when his breathing became laboured (not panting but sides heaving).

I'd try a different vet or insist you want him on Vetmedin. Some wait to put them on but if he is really having problems I'd just say you really want to try him on this and pirnt out the research info. If he says he won't do it I'd simply take him to a different vet. You often need to be very firm about what YOU want. I see several different vets myself because some are better on certain issues than others. I rotate through three different surgeries and about 6 different individual vets.

Back