PDA

View Full Version : Pippin SHAVED - Luxating Patella surgery tomorrow

Charleen
15th October 2007, 02:39 AM
Pippin's back legs have gotten worse and the vet and I agree that it is time for surgery. I am having his first leg done tomorrow.

I decided to have Pippin totally shaved prior to surgery. My groomer lives less than 5 minutes from my house and she said she could do Pippin tonight. I just back back an hour ago.

Here are Before & After pics of Pippin

BEFORE - see all the hair that Pippin has!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1222/537825726_ce4e9067be_o.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/473971794_16f584fb91.jpg

AFTER being SHAVED - He looks so small now!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/1572475303_f380c8c4d0_o.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/1572475211_a4c3540c85_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/1573362602_329db67850.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/1573362966_cbded0076a_o.jpg

Caraline
15th October 2007, 07:00 AM
Awww, good luck with the surgery tomorrow. Pippin looks kind of cute with his little punky hairdo.

moonbeams
15th October 2007, 09:10 AM
I wish you all the best with the op.. :) am in the same boat there with you as mine goes in on thurs for the same thing. Let me know how you get on.

Cathy Moon
15th October 2007, 12:12 PM
Good luck Pippin and Charleen. :xfngr: We'll be thinking of you today. Let us know how the operation went and how he's doing. :flwr:

Matte
15th October 2007, 12:18 PM
He looks like a puppy.

Cathryn
15th October 2007, 02:04 PM
Will be thinking of you both today! :xfngr: all goes well, am sure it will!
Love his new "do" it will certainly make things easier for him whilst he is rehabbing later! Will watch for progress reports!!

Claire L
15th October 2007, 04:53 PM
Good luck today Pippin :lotsaluv: :xfngr::xfngr: all goes well Charleen. I'm sure Sara will be on hand to offer lots of advice. Let us know how everything goes when you get a chance.

:hug::hug:

Celticharmony
15th October 2007, 06:05 PM
Good luck Pippin! will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing the updates on your progress.:xfngr::luv:

Gem
15th October 2007, 09:18 PM
:xfngr:everything goes well. Thinking of you and good luck for tomorrow

Gem
15th October 2007, 09:20 PM
oops sorry wasnt paying attention! (am behhind) Hope it all went ok??

Justine
15th October 2007, 09:36 PM
Hope all goes well.Good luck.

ann
16th October 2007, 12:32 AM
:flwr: Wishing you good luck Pippin,I am sure you will be fine and feeling better soon :flwr:

Charleen
16th October 2007, 01:57 AM
Pippin is home. The surgery went well. He is still sleeping off the drugs. I'll let you know more tomorrow. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. :dogwlk:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2150/1582786612_5c77afbf21.jpg

Caraline
16th October 2007, 06:54 AM
I'm glad the surgery went well and that Pippin is now home safe & sound. May his recovery be swift & full.

moonbeams
16th October 2007, 08:51 AM
Get well soon Pippin! :rah:

so glad to hear it all went well! :)

PamH
16th October 2007, 10:11 AM
Get well soon Pippin. Hugs and Licks.
Pam and Maddy

Cleo's Person
16th October 2007, 12:52 PM
Hows Pippin doing today?

Claire L
16th October 2007, 03:33 PM
Welcome home Pippin:lotsaluv:

So glad the surgery went well Charleen; his scar looks very small and neat.
I hope he feels better today.

:flwr::flwr::hug::hug:

Charleen
16th October 2007, 06:33 PM
The drugs from the surgery helped him sleep all night and we shook him awake this morning at 6 AM. I took him outside and he had a good pee. Then he tried to walk around a little, but he is still pretty groggy.

He is such a trooper. When I got him on his feet this morning, he was really wobbly, but he wagged his tail.

My Mom got him to take his pills at 10 AM. He didn't want any food until then. Mom still says he hasn't had any water yet. Mom says he is laying comfortably on a big doggy pillow and she is pulling him from room to room with her.

I am hoping when I get home tonight he'll be feeliing a little better and a little more alert.

ann
16th October 2007, 07:55 PM
:flwr: :lotsaluv: Big hugs for Pippin. Knowing my Ellie will need this op one day I am really interested to hear of Pippins progress.....
The wound looks nice and neat. Does he have to wear the neck coller?
Ellie HATED it when she had her op for spaying. I was able to use a baby grow, but of course it wouldnt work for Pippins op.

Charleen
16th October 2007, 10:01 PM
Ann - the vet didn't give me an collar for Pip to wear. I meant to call and ask about that. Thanks for reminding me.

Here is the latest news in an email update that Mom sent me about 1:30 PM:

Pippin has eaten all his breakfast and drank a small saucer of water and had his white pill that was on the dog cabinet and has gone outside with MOM's help on down stairs and walked out on the lawn and had a bowel movement. Pippen, then when MOM was not looking, suddenly was on the porch waiting to be let in. I had Dad remove the plank as Pippen is scared of it and will not go on it.Pippen is now laying on the living room couch and does not want to be removed. I tried and he got up and repositioned himself and laid back down. I originally helpped him up on the couch and he likes it there. He has been sleeping and relaxing. The other dogs have been in and out the deck door and loves the freedom. Dad is home and he and Pippen are watching TV. Love Mom

moonbeams
17th October 2007, 09:18 AM
Am delighted to hear Pippin is doing so well! :) And the wound looks nice and neat too!

Charleen
25th October 2007, 12:32 AM
Pippin is doing very well in his recovery. He is hopping around on 3 legs. He didn't need the e-collar at all. He doesn't lick the wound. I take him back to the Vet's office on Tuesday morning to get the staples out. The surgery wound has no blood or infection. It is very neat and clean.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2308/1590110625_ca6cc9df33.jpg

*Pauline*
25th October 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm glad it all went well, you must be relieved the worst is over. The first time I saw staples (on a human) I nearly collapsed as I had no idea "staples" meant "STAPLES" like the ones from a staple gun. :eek:

It does look nice and clean though.:thmbsup:

Cathy Moon
29th October 2007, 12:30 PM
Wow, that is a nice clean incision. That's also nice how the vet didn't shave Pippin's hair all the way up to his back.

So glad he's doing well! :lotsaluv:

Charleen
30th October 2007, 12:40 AM
Tomorrow morning Pippin gets his staples removed. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow!

Cathy Moon
30th October 2007, 12:41 AM
:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw::paw: Best wishes little man!:hug:

Scouty girl
31st October 2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Charleen, I was just catching up with Pippens surgery post. How is he doing today? How did the staple removal go? Poor little dear. Please let us know when you get a minute. By the way I loved the email from your Mom, it was great.

Charleen
1st November 2007, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone. The vet took out the staples and Pippin didn't even know he was doing it. There was no pain or discomfort. He said that Pip is progressing at a normal recovery pace. There are no problems. I have another follow-up in 2 weeks.

My Mom has been so helpful during Pippin's recovery. She is home with him each day and for all the follow-up vet check-ups, she has been following me to the vet's office in her own car. My vet is half-way between my home and my work. So I have scheduled all the visits for first thing in the morning. After the vet visit, Mom takes Pippin home and I continue another 30 minutes to work.

I am so thankful for my Mom and for my Vet and for Pippin himself. He is doing so well and takes everything in stride. Jolly has gotten Pippin to play with him again. So Pippin is definitely feeling better. It is a gentle play and so nice to see. :luv:

Scouty girl
2nd November 2007, 12:40 AM
That is such good news Charleen. I hope Pippin continues on this mending trend. Your Mom sounds like an angel, she must love Pippin very much, oh and you too!!! :)

Cleo's Person
2nd November 2007, 01:59 PM
I am so glad to hear that thigs are progressing well with Pippin!

Charleen
13th November 2007, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to share the good news with you.

Pippin just had his 1 month follow-up after LP surgery on his right back leg. He is doing great! b*n*n* When the vet saw that he could stand on his back legs, jump on a chair and how he was walking, he said that Pippin is doing great! He doesn't need to come back until next month now! :rah:

I had Pippin shaved prior to his surgery and I noticed that Pippin could lose a little weight, so I cut back his dog food. He has gone from 26 pounds down to 24.8 pounds in the last month. I think he looks perfect at this new weight.

Next summer, I am going to have Merry & Luke shaved for the comfort during the hot weather & so I can get their weight just right. It is just impossible to tell if I have them too thin or fat with ALL that HAIR!

pinkpuppy
13th November 2007, 03:37 PM
:rah: Excellent news about Pippin's LP!:rah::paw:

Claire L
13th November 2007, 07:32 PM
:rah:Great news Charleen :jmp2: I'm delighted that Pippin is doing so well :luv: and back playing with Merry and Luke.