• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 Cavs Found in Southern California

Holly

This was on another Cavalier list, I told Vikki (the writer) I would post it on here as well, just in case......hope these two find their way home!

Hi folks,

I just signed up here because my brother, who lives in SoCal, found a
CKCS near his home yesterday. It had no collar or other identifying
marks. He took it to his vet to make sure it was ok to have near his
dogs while he looked for it's people. On his way home, he stopped by
the animal shelter and there was another one there, and it was
obvious that the two knew each other. The other one had been found
near my brother's home as well. My brother has told the shelter that
if the owner does not come forward, he will take the other and find a
home for the both of them as he feels they should stay together based
on their reaction to each other.

I hesitate to give much information about them, as I'm sure you can
all understand. We would love to get them both reunited with their
people as soon as possible.

If anyone knows of somebody who has lost or had stolen a couple of
CKCS, please contact me via e-mail at dougvikkiwilcox@ ameritech. net

Thanks,
Vikki Wilcox

Oh how sad! I'm sure someone is missing them terribly right now. It's sad that the two have to be apart for now. Your brother is an angel!

The brother should contact breed rescue as they may know of someone who has lost these dogs, and if not, they will have carefully homechecked homes waiting. Cathy T is involved with So Cal breed rescue and would have connections in this regard -- could you PM her the info about what list this is from? She can then get the right people linked up. (y)

That's great! :) It will be much easier for an organisation to help out than an individual if they need to be fostered then homed.

Thanks for alerting me Holly! I passed the info on and hope someone in that area is able to get involved. The info is on several lists so if anyone knows anything the right people have the details.

Hi there,

I'm Vikki, the original poster of the message that started this thread. As of right now, there is no update. I have posted on several cavalier sites and lost dog sites. I've had a few people e-mail me that were unfortunately not a match. I've had even more e-mail me with offers to take the animal off our hands, as long as it hasn't been spayed or neutered. Some have even offered a reward or finders fee. Amazing, simply amazing. This I will promise, these cavaliers will not end up in anything other than a loving and responsible home.

Thank you to all who have sent advice and good wishes. We really do appreciate it!
Vikki Wilcox

Hi Vikki! So this is one of the ways byb and pm ppl get their supply of pups? It is amazing and horrible. I hope the original owners are found.

I've had even more e-mail me with offers to take the animal off our hands, as long as it hasn't been spayed or neutered. Some have even offered a reward or finders fee. Amazing, simply amazing.

I'm speechlesss.... Are you for real... That is absolutely horrible. It was very smart of you guys to not post the pictures or descriptions of the dogs. Very well thought. I will pray for their safe return home... Hopefully very soon..

I found a Maine Coon girl kitten a few years back and tried to find her owner...never did, but I also heard from people who wanted to take her off my hands. Wasn't happening!!! She is now a happy and beautiful adult cat. People are amazing. :mad:

Excellent to hear that you are doing such a great job Vicki! I'm going to e-mail you in a minute to see if there's anything I can do to assist you.

Thanks for the update, Vikki!

I've had even more e-mail me with offers to take the animal off our hands, as long as it hasn't been spayed or neutered.

I routinely email people advertising free cavaliers on the Irish ads sites to suggest they be sure to neuter their dog for just this reason. And having spoken to some of them, they tell me they will get lots of calls where this is the first question asked. One of the SPCAs in Ireland had a black and tan boy for weeks that no one was interested in as soon as they found out he was neutered (I homed him for them but couldn't believe they had no other interest).

The main reason cavaliers and other purebreds are targets of thieves is they can be sold to breeders. Often thieves will dump the dog once they find out it is neutered. Yet another reason I strongly advocate neutering, and not just neutering but getting a dog tag that clearly says 'neutered (or spayed) and microchipped; reward if found' in addition to the usual details. At least with the boys they can see they are snipped (though I have had men tell me they 'don't know' when I've asked if their male cavalier is neutered! :shock:) but females, they cannot tell so I make sure that I tell them!

Puppy farmers and BYBs are also VERY adept at presenting themselves as a nice family in search of a family dog. I've had several puppy farm cavaliers in rescue who were definitely not born to that life -- they were clearly someone's much loved dog at some point, Megan being just one example. The only value they had to puppy farmers is that they could be bred. Remove that possibility and it does radically change who remains interested in a dog -- generally, a much better choice of homes, that's for sure.

If I'm right in my thinking (and it's very possible I am confused!!) these two have been taken into Cavalier Rescue. You'll have to pardon my confusion. With all of the chaos down here from the fires I am a muddled up mess. I had passed this info on to rescue. I had also received a call from a woman I worked with earlier this year up in the Rancho Cucamonga area about 2 Cavaliers in the shelter. I believe these are the same two dogs. Like I said.....complete confusion down here right now.

If I'm right in my thinking (and it's very possible I am confused!!) these two have been taken into Cavalier Rescue. You'll have to pardon my confusion. With all of the chaos down here from the fires I am a muddled up mess. I had passed this info on to rescue. I had also received a call from a woman I worked with earlier this year up in the Rancho Cucamonga area about 2 Cavaliers in the shelter. I believe these are the same two dogs. Like I said.....complete confusion down here right now.
Hope you are safe
-----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Update and correction (no worries about the confusion, it is totally understandable under the extreme circumstances of late :eek:)

My brother still has the girl with him and his family. He has paid the fee to spring the little boy from the shelter, and is waiting for them to release him. We have not recieved any credible claims on these two babies. My brother wants to hang onto them for a little while longer in hopes that their people will be found. If that does not happen, he will be contacting breed rescue for assistance in placing them together as he is convinced that they are bonded to one another.

As far as I know these two have no connection to the pair from Rancho Cucamonga. These two are currently in the high desert between Yucca Valley and 29 Palms.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are effected by the fires out west.

Vikki Wilcox

Back