• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Formal Dog Names

cy1266

I need to register Miles with the AKC, and we have to come up with his "formal" name. It has to start with "Zards", his kennel, but then I'm not sure what to put for the rest of his name - and do I include "Miles"??? I looked up the name "Miles", which apparently means "soldier" in Latin, according to some baby name website...

For those of you that have come up with your own name, how did you do it? Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Ziggy's name is Tomney Masked Avenger. The "Tomney" the kennel/line name and the Masked Avenger part I made up. I love his face mask and wanted to make sure that everybody knew it! I also liked the Super Hero connotation that goes along with. He's called Ziggy and if you ever get to meet him, you'd know why - he just is ziggy: the cavalier is perpetual motion!

My corgis did not come with Kennel names, so just made them up
Zack is Bluegrass Beachcomber Zack as he was born in Kentucky and now lives in Florida. Also the Beachcomber is an homage if you will to my beloved horse who went to the Bridge in 1992, Sandcastle. In addition he is specifically named for Miami Dolphins Denfensive lineman, Zach Thomas (yeah - I know I spelled my Zack's name wrong. Zack (and Zach for that matter) don't care)

Zoey was not ever registered because she was always destined to be spayed. If she had been her name would have been Morning Time Alonza for Miami Heat Center Alonzo (Zo) Mourning.

I didn't name Zena - except for her call name. She came with Tomney Crystal Show which I don't really like. However, if I get a Black & Tan sometime I will give her/him the Crystal name as an homage to Zena and name her/him Kennel Name Dark Crystal.

So that's my take on how its done. Hope this didn't just make matters more confusing for you.

Last edited:
Dylan's formal name is "Muffity My Baby Dylan". His breeder let me choose the last name, her kennel name is Muffity and all dogs from Dylan's sire are called My Baby.

If she lets you, I'd have Miles at the end. How about Zards Captain Miles? ;)

Thanks Julie and Pauline! Great ideas, and I like "Zards Captain Miles"...It seems like such a big decision, but now at least I have a few ideas. Thanks so much!

Carrie

Not that I get to vote on this, but I like the name "Zards Captain Miles, too!"

One other thing - with the AKC you'll need the Kennells permission to use the kennells name, but the other part of the name is solely at your discretion, though I always run it by the breeder anyway. But you have to stay under 25 spaces (I think - something like that) The AKC will tell you if you can have the name you want.

I think things are different in Ireland and the UK.

Thanks Julie! My breeder filled in "Zards" for the first part of his name (and left the other boxes blank), but once I have his final name picked out I'll run it by her to make sure she's okay with it...I'll have to see if my boyfriend has any ideas too : )

One other thing - with the AKC you'll need the Kennells permission to use the kennells name, but the other part of the name is solely at your discretion, though I always run it by the breeder anyway. But you have to stay under 25 spaces (I think - something like that) The AKC will tell you if you can have the name you want.

I think things are different in Ireland and the UK.

ONLY if the kennel name is actually registered in the AKC. Someone actually used a famous English Kennel name not realizing that people would be upset (the AKC didn't care because it wasn't a registered kennel in the US)

Barkley is from Blue Tide Kennel and his breeder already filled out the first part of his AKC form with "Bluetide". I wanted to keep the nautical theme and I thought it would be fun for Barkley to be a pirate so he is named after the pirate Henry Morgan. So his AKC name is Bluetide Captain Morgan and I tell everyone it is for the pirate, not the rum! :D

You can see I like "Captain" in a dog's name! ;)

Dixie's is Roycroft Dixie Belle. Roycroft is her kennel name, and Laura, her breeder, let me choose the other two names. Judy and Dixie PS I chose Dixie Belle because we are from Texas and Dixie is a southern name as is Belle. I love it and it suits her perfectly as she is a little Belle.....

Hi

I didn't get to pick Harvey's but i have Rudi's, our name came from our street name so he will be Mayakee Rudi of Ryedale. Mayakee being the breeders name.

Anna (Mum of Harvey and nearly Rudi)

Maddy's name is Clarisbrooke Miss Madeleine. Clarisbrooke being the kennel.

Zards Captain Miles sounds good.
I also like Zards Magnificent Miles

Thanks for the name suggestions, everyone! I think we finally have it (I hope 26 characters is the max - that's what we have!):

"Zards Miles Brohe of Ridge"

Zards = kennel name
Miles = call name
Brohe = a combination of my last name and my boyfriend's last name - pronounced "bro-hee"
Ridge = the street we live on - his first home after the breeder : )

Thanks again everyone!!!

Great choice! I love the name :)

I wish I worked with the AKC and could read what everyone named their pups - this thread was quite a bit of fun to read through :)

Back