• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"the King's Law" and Cavaliers...

hollyandmel

Hi all,

I was chatting to a fellow cav owner in the park who was talking about the 'king's law' passed by King Charles where cavaliers were given the freedom of the land...

" The royal name, 'King Charles Spaniel' was bestowed during the reign of King Charles II, who was so fond of his spaniels he could not be parted from them. He made a decree that King Charles Spaniels must be allowed in any public place, including the House of Parliament. This decree is still in the law books"

I know dogs arn't allowed in alot of places (annoting as it is) and was wondering if this law is still viable and still stands for our little darlings?!

xx

This one comes up a lot!! Sadly there is no actual record of the law and it would NOT stand up in a court of law, but still worth a try now and again, you never know you might get lucky!! ;) :xfngr:

Apparantly the law is still viable, according to most sites I have looked at and read about it.

However, I did visit the House of Commons website a while ago and THAT said that there was no record of any such law being passed.

Having said that, a friend of mine went to visit the House of Commons and had her dog with her and was told that had it been a King Charles Spaniel, she would have been allowed in.

So, I'm really not too sure on this law and guess the only way to find out would be to actually write to the House of Commons or find a Solicitor who would find the subject interesting enough to look into it, or anyone in the law society who might be curious.

I'd certainly like to find something conclusive as to whether or not the law was ever passed, if it was, wouldn't it be great going into places with your dog and them not being able to chuck you out! lol!

Alison

Back