• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Walking in Laois

adam53

:confused: Hopefully someone from the laois (or nearby) areas can help me on this.... My girlfriend and I bought our first house in Portloaise over a year ago and it'll ready in 3 or 4 months :xfngr:. Friends of ours bought a house there aswell around 5 months ago so they're well settled. We go down to them most weekends (with our dogs)for a few drinks etc and the following day the 4 of us bring our 5 dogs for a walk. :dogwlk: We have 2 cavs and an american akita and they have a lab and a german shepard. So, after the one and only walk through the town, we decided to find some nice places out in the countryside to walk the dogs because there also doesnt seem to be a park in Portlaoise. Ideally the place would be secluded so that we could let the dogs off the leash for a few minutes to run around or go for a swim if possible (all of them love the water, even the cavs) but also a nice, scenic walk. I know I'm being fussy but I was just wondering if anyone knows of such a place. We found a fabulous place called Cathole falls,near Ballyfin, a few months ago but I'd like to go somewhere new aswell. Even if we cant let the dogs off the leash I'd just like to walk somewhere different for a change. We also went for a walk in a place called Glenbarrow (i think). Also, while I'm on the subject, is there a park or anything in Portlaoise where I could bring my dogs during the week or at the weekend when I dont want to go out for the whole day? I'm hoping someone can help me, thanks in advance and sorry for the long essay!!
:):)

Hi adam53 i live in portarlington and work in portlaois so i know so of the places around it is so weird hearing u talk about glen barrow and the catholes!! There is a park in portlaois but it is small enough! Plenty of people i work with go out to stradbally woods and there is also emo woods, they are nice big areas and really nice to bring the dogs walking!! There is also garryhinch woods and the river runs through this so ur dogs would be able to go swimming!! I hope this is off some help to u

Thanks a million for the quick reply coconut! I'm already looking forward to next weekend so I can bring the dogs somewhere new! Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Hi adam i live in Portarlington as well. About a 5 mins drive from me we have a man made lake that is absolutely brill for the dogs my would live there if they could. Also there is Corrig Wood good as well. If u need directions to the Lake give me a shout.

Deadly thanks Sallymum! Would you mind giving me a brief description of where the lake is? I have the OSI maps of the area so if you could even name the lake or the nearest town/village it would be a great help! Thanks again! :D

Hi Adam,
My sister lives in Portlaoise and we regularly bring the dogs to togher woods. Head out for the rugby club and take a right after it and there you are!! Great place! Less than 5 minutes from the town.

Brilliant thanks! That'd be perfect for when I'm having a lazy day and don't want to travel far to walk them!

Back