• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you think

Super Princess

I was on a message board that is local to our town..(its for parents and caregivers in our city)
and came across this post.

It kinda made my stomach tie in knots.

"Hi. I've been thinking about getting a dog. However, i have never been a dog person, and have a strong aversion to certain dog traits, so maybe you guys would have some insight. I know a lot of this is training, but some dogs do have certain tendencies...

Some specifications:

I do NOT want a Yappy dog
No crotch-level nose (I HATE that!)
Not too needy
Not long haired - can't shed too much
Must be good with kids
Can't run away a lot
Not one to chew everything
Not as big as a lab or german shepherd, not as small as a !@#$%-zu
Low maintenance
Soft pettable hair
I'm thinking about the size of a beagle - would that be considered medium?

Any suggestions?

Thanks."

There was a wide range of responces to her topic.
some saying pleading with her not to get a dog, some suggesting maybe an adult dog woult suit her best, others jokeing saying a stuffed dog.

What are your thoughts?

I was one that 'thrid'ed ("i second that" "i third that") my opinion that she should not bring a dog into her family.
as all i can see is a very sad dog sitting outside stariing in..and then eventually ending up in the pound . :( :(

I really can't think of one -- not one breed of dog that could meet all her requirements. I'd hate to think of her dating-- must earn 6 figures, clean, affectionate , but not jealous. Yikes

I'd ask if she has a child. What she is saying comes from ignorance -- I sincerely hope that she'd take the time to a bookstore and read a book on raising a dog.

I'd post that she should go volunteer at an animal shelter for six months before she brings one home. That would be a real eye opener for her!

i think one of them that responsed on the board, i think she should get a stuffed dog!!! Really don't think a dog should go into her house!!!

No way should she have a dog! :eek: It would end up in a shelter within days if not weeks, agree with Debby on this, she should volunteer at a local shelter for a while and find out what is really involved in dog ownership! :bang:

They need an Aibo (robotic dog). We had one for a while and they are very doglike in behaviour. Ours was defiant, just like Teddy, and actually cocked its leg (no wee though ). It also outraged Izzy because it stole his orange ball (they are programmed to go after certain orange/red shades). They teach good dog ownership, because, if you ignore them or leave them alone too long, they either sulk or play up. With the right software, they are also guard dogs, as they have a mini camera in their heads.

They need an Aibo (robotic dog). We had one for a while and they are very doglike in behaviour. Ours was defiant, just like Teddy, and actually cocked its leg (no wee though ). It also outraged Izzy because it stole his orange ball (they are programmed to go after certain orange/red shades). They teach good dog ownership, because, if you ignore them or leave them alone too long, they either sulk or play up. With the right software, they are also guard dogs, as they have a mini camera in their heads.

What a great idea.

I'm wondering why this person even thinks they want a dog! With the list of dislikes why would the idea even occur to them?!? Kind of odd.

A perfect choice for a person like this would be a plushy stuffed toy (a cavalier of course!). :)

yeah thats my thoughts are the kids are bugging her for one. I really hope she dosn't cave and that the responces shes gotten off this otehr board will open her eyes a bit.

That person needs a slap on the side of the head and then perhaps a stuffed toy or a robo-dog. I certainly wouldn't trust them to care for a live animal of any sort.

I second that..Brilliant idea. Is this individual for real, as she comes across as not quite living in the real world, never heard of a dog manual piled with advise, a vet, a breeder, or the idea we just agreed on; familiarising herself with dogs in general??

Some specifications:

I do NOT want a Yappy dog
No crotch-level nose (I HATE that!)
Not too needy
Not long haired - can't shed too much
Must be good with kids
Can't run away a lot
Not one to chew everything
Not as big as a lab or german shepherd, not as small as a !@#$%-zu
Low maintenance
Soft pettable hair
I'm thinking about the size of a beagle - would that be considered medium?

Any suggestions?

Thanks."

A computer with electric pet:eek:

Oh for crying out loud! Tell her to buy a gold fish. No wait.... that would be too cruel on the gold fish. Tell her to buy a plush toy. :rolleyes:

Back