PDA

View Full Version : Nature Diet...is it freezable?

hollyandmel
23rd October 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

I bought some nature diet foils to try yesterday....Holly loves it! but there pretty big and as im only wanting to use a small amount with her complete to add variety.
Once opened can it be frozen? I was thinking of making a few meals up (veg and chicken added) and freezing them?

thanks xx

*Pauline*
24th October 2007, 01:55 AM
If you freeze chicken, it has to be heated for a while once thawed. I think this would make the Nature Diet, if mixed with chicken, quite mushy. I keep a tray of nature Diet 3 days once open. I heat about 2 tablespoons mixed with kibble in the microwave for 15 seconds, any longer and it goes mushy.

I have wondered the same as some products say either way on the packaging. Maybe we should call them.

hollyandmel
24th October 2007, 10:40 PM
If you freeze chicken, it has to be heated for a while once thawed. I think this would make the Nature Diet, if mixed with chicken, quite mushy. I keep a tray of nature Diet last 3 days once open. I heat about 2 tablespoons mixed with kibble in the microwave for 15 seconds, any longer and it goes mushy.

I have wondered the same as some products say either way on the packaging. Maybe we should call them.

I've emailed them x

shippers
24th October 2007, 11:09 PM
Yes I've thought the same. They are really big cartons. It says on the packaging they keep for 48 hours in the fridge once open. I open one give Sally a third with small amount of kibble and then use the rest over 2 days. I find it's really good food, though would be better packaged in smaller portions. I find the packaging difficult to open too.

*Pauline*
25th October 2007, 12:53 AM
I find the packaging difficult to open too.

Impossible to peel back the lid isn't it. I just stick a knife in the film lid and cut along the edges.

Thanks for emailing them. ;)

hollyandmel
26th October 2007, 11:10 AM
Reply from Nature Diet:

Thank you for your enquiry. Naturediet is a fresh meat diet and it may
therefore be split into portions and frozen for short periods of time, it is
essential that it be fully defrosted before feeding.

As with any meat, the consistency of the pate may change through the
freezing process, the faster it is frozen the less damage is done to its
structure.

It may be heated through to improve the consistency as this evaporates any
additional water that has entered during freezing: allow to cool before
feeding.

I hope this helps but please do not hesitate to get back in contact if I can
be of further assistance.

Good news! I will buy more now and freeze some meal for her! :)

*Pauline*
26th October 2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mel for finding this out for us. Lots of us use Nature Diet so I'm sure this will be of interest. :D