PDA

View Full Version : Gulping food--special bowl

Jen
24th October 2007, 11:46 PM
Have any of you tried a bowl like this http://www.brake-fast.net/index.htm to help slow down an over-zealous eater?? Abbey is a gulper, and we need to figure something out to slow her down. She literally doesn't even chew, it's awful. Curious as to what others have done for this issue.

Claire L
25th October 2007, 12:12 AM
Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.

Jen
25th October 2007, 12:28 AM
Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.

Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.

Elude
25th October 2007, 01:00 AM
We used a tennis ball for Zoey with success. After a couple weeks she didn't even need it anymore. It may be different with having another dog though. Zoey will still gulp if there are other dogs around.

Claire L
25th October 2007, 01:15 AM
Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.

I tried using a small tennis ball and a stone and a treat ball and a kong but she got too frustrated.
I think Elude hit the nail on the head re: having another dog around.
When Minnie first arrived she would not eat from a bowl at all but I persevered with her using the 15 minute rule and she did eat eventually.
When Cara arrived, Minnie suddenly decided to eat straight away when I put her bowl down. I think because they are rescues (technically speaking) they just decide (well Cara decides) to wolf down her food in case Minnie takes it.