• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diet for cavalier with MVD

Renie

Our cav, 10 years old, was diagnosticated with MVD. He is on three med and now he is stabilized. He is feeded with Acana Orijen, but I read, this dogs need more bioavailable source of proteins. Where do I find them? Could you recommend me some suitable diet for him? Is boiled chicken meat with rice and vegetable suitable? What about raw beef? Thank you for your advices, hope my question is understandable, I am still fighting with english

I'm sorry I can't help answer your question but I'm sure someone will be able to. Also your english is very understandable. :)

I'd think supplementing his dry food with a bit of fresh meat, chicken or beef, would be good just in general. I'd just lightly cook it and stir it in. Who suggested the more bioavailable proteins? Most foods would be very balanced and Orijen is a very good quality food. :) I wouldn't think your cavalier would need extra protein but might rather benefit from some supplements.

Can't help you with the food, but try supplementing with fish oil (I use sardine oil 1tsp/20lbs) and vitamin E (100IU). Also maybe look into Bio Cardio, a supplement for heart health. If you use the Bio Cardio, you won't need to add as much vitamin E. Ask your vet if you are using digoxin about any side effects with the hawthorne in Bio Cardio.

I think as long as your pup is eating high quality protein from animal sources, that should be fine. L-carnitine is good for heart health and found in red meat - though I think it's diminished in cooked meats. Good luck with the diet, I know I have trouble deciding what's the best course for my guy!

Back