PDA

View Full Version : We've adopted Charlie

Cathy Moon
27th October 2007, 02:02 AM
For those of you who remember little Charlie, the rescue cav from California who has SM -

Colin and I adopted him earlier this week. I flew to California to meet him this past Saturday, and for the next few days Charlie got to know me and I learned how to care for him; then we flew home to Ohio on Tuesday. Charlie was in rescue for just over a year.

We have a veterinary neurologist nearby who is experienced with SM, and we have our first appointment with him this coming Tuesday afternoon. Even though Charlie's medication has been increased over time it isn't controlling his pain adequately and we are hoping his new neuro can help him.

Tomorrow afternoon we're taking him to our regular vet because he needs attention for his sensitive ears, itchy skin, and one paw has two swollen pads. I will post photos as soon as he's feeling better, after he sees the vet.

In the meantime, I'm happy to report that he loves soft toys and his favorite is the colorful PetStages ball that has lots of knots to chew on. :luv: He also loves to sleep with his little head resting on Geordie's stuffed piggy toy for a pillow. Even though he is severely handicapped, he still acts like a puppy sometimes!

Here is a thread about him:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=18767

Cathy T
27th October 2007, 02:13 AM
Cathy - you have done such an oustanding thing!! I look forward to hearing more about Charlie's development. I'm just tickled pink for him that he has you to love him and care for him. Can't wait to see pictures of the sweet boy!

WoodHaven
27th October 2007, 02:23 AM
Wow-- bless you guys for opening your heart to this boy. Outstanding is exactly the word that pops into mind.

jld
27th October 2007, 02:34 AM
Wow, Cathy thank goodness for angels like you...... Judy and Dixie

ppotterfield
27th October 2007, 02:36 AM
You made me cry. I have been watching Charlie and hoping that someone could rescue him, make sure that he had some quality of life and love him forever. Thank you, Cathy and Colin, for opening your home to him. You are indeed special people.

Cathy Moon
27th October 2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks! He is one sweet, brave little boy. :wggle:

Cathy Moon
27th October 2007, 02:40 AM
You made me cry. I have been watching Charlie and hoping that someone could rescue him, make sure that he had some quality of life and love him forever. Thank you, Cathy and Colin, for opening your home to him. You are indeed special people.
Phyllis, it was your last post about him that alerted us to the fact that he was still waiting for a family. That's when we started discussing adopting him. So I want to say Thank You!:)

Lynn
27th October 2007, 03:03 AM
OMG...what an amazing and wonderful thing you have done!!!!!!! I am at a loss for words because your kindness has put tears in my eyes. Sweet Charlie is so blessed!!!!! Cathy, you are an angel...

:rah: You are awesome!!!! :rah:

Cathy Moon
27th October 2007, 03:27 AM
CavalierTalk and all the members who post here have made it possible for us to even consider adopting a special needs cavalier like Charlie. I never would have had enough knowledge or courage to consider adopting Charlie. But I have learned so much about SM from the people here.

When I first brought Charlie home, we had some worry and anxiety. Both Karlin and Nicki gave me lots of advice and helped us to make Charlie more comfortable. Karlin even called me on the phone all the way from Dublin! The trip really stressed Charlie (and me) but now each day is getting easier.

pinkpuppy
27th October 2007, 04:11 AM
You are an angel for giving Charlie a forever home...:flwr:

Cathryn
27th October 2007, 11:01 AM
:w*w:

Cathy you and Colin are people with hearts the size of a bucket!! :lotsaluv: What in incredible story! I have been watching for news of Charlie too, I look forwards to seing :snap: of him soon and am glad to hear that he is settling in well with you, Colin and the other dogs :lotsaluv: :xfngr: That your neuro vet can help him to be more comfortable and that you can enjoy many happy years with each other! Aw, now I'm filling up too!! icon_blshing

misty
27th October 2007, 11:03 AM
Oh Cathy, that is an amazing thing to do :).

I'm so pleased for Charlie to find such a wonderful home. He deserves it.

xxxx

Aileen
27th October 2007, 11:14 AM
You are so good I cannot say how much please keep us informed how he goes on
:jump::jump:

photos please
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Lynn
27th October 2007, 11:29 AM
Cathy, I can't stop thinking about what a wonderful thing you have done! I woke up at 4:00am and my mind won't stop...and I haven't been back to sleep! It is just THE BEST news!! You are the answer to so many prayers for sweet Charlie.

I keep wondering if I would ever have the courage you did in adopting a special needs dog....certainly not now, but I hope one day I would. You have inspired me to do better. :flwr:

Thank you Cathy for doing what so many of of wish we could have done. God Bless you!!!

Charleen
27th October 2007, 12:32 PM
Well done Cathy & Colin ! I cannot wait to see pictures of Charlie at your house. He sounds like a wonderful dog.:paw:

Bruce H
27th October 2007, 12:58 PM
How incredibly wonderful of you to bring Charlie and his special needs into your home! I just know he will fit right in and love you forever. Charlie is finally home!!!

Debby with a Y
27th October 2007, 01:06 PM
I simply can't think of any words to add to the sentiments above mine. I am in awe of your giant heart. You are Charlie's angel. I cannot tell you how much respect I have for what you are doing for him. :luv:

Cleo's Person
27th October 2007, 01:07 PM
Cathy and Colin, you are both amazing to have given Charlie his forever home. I'm so glad to hear that this guy has finally come home. And what a good home it is! I'm sure he'll be so very happy with you. You are both angels and having followed Charlie's story and wished I could do something to help him, I thank you both from the bottom of my heart. :)

merlinsmum
27th October 2007, 02:02 PM
Thank you Cathy and Colin for taking this little man on. Bless you both, I'm sure he'll love you both forever:rah::rah::rah::dogwlk::luv::luv::paw:

Mary
27th October 2007, 02:22 PM
Wonderful job Cathy and Colin. May Charlie have some wonderful days ahead.

cavlover
27th October 2007, 02:37 PM
:cry*ing:You made me cry reading this, Cathy you and your husband are truly angels and Charly is just one lucky dog.:rah::luv:
judy

Celticharmony
27th October 2007, 03:54 PM
Cathy, you and Colin are so obviously very special people, just the kind this sweet little dog so needed in his life. Bless you for doing what so many of us would like to be able to do.

Spencer'sMom
27th October 2007, 06:44 PM
Cathy, you and Colin are such amazing people. Thank you so much for opening your heart and home to such a wonderful little guy.

Jen
27th October 2007, 08:01 PM
This is just the best thing I've heard of in a long, long time; your act of kindness reminds all of us what unconditional love really is. You have the support of so many, take advantage of it all! I am so looking forward to hearing all about Charlie's new life.

Caraline
28th October 2007, 10:30 AM
You have a big, wonderful, warm heart Cathy. I know this is no easy task you have taken on. :luv:

Karlin
28th October 2007, 12:03 PM
I know Cathy and Colin will give Charlie an excellent home and level of care, whatever treatment approach seems to be best for him. :) I'm just so delighted at this result and that Cathy was ready to consider bringing this little guy into her household of cavaliers. I know she intends to keep us informed of how he does, too. :flwr:

I also hope Charlie's story might provide some positive food for thought for others -- that some who might be considering adopting will not forget the special needs dogs, whatever their health, age or behaviour issues might be. Many people find that even though initially they seem a bit daunting or worrying, that these are the the most rewarding of dogs to bring into their homes. There are circles of support and knowledge that may always be drawn upon, too, through the various boards and lists.

Such choices are not for everybody, but for anyone who is comfortable and fairly confident with dogs, and feels they can maybe give a bit extra (in some cases) or simply be open to making a space for the most vulnerable and needy -- who often do not need any different regime than we'd give to our current dogs -- please do not pass over consideration of that older cavalier or the one with a health issue. You may find that's the dog who nestles into a very special place in your heart and your memory.

Claire L
28th October 2007, 12:08 PM
Wow! I'm just reading about Charlie for the first time :(
Cathy and Colin, bless you both for for giving Charlie a forever home :hug::hug:

*Pauline*
28th October 2007, 03:25 PM
What wonderful news. You and Colin are going to make great parents for little Charlie. Good on you ;)

Nicki
28th October 2007, 04:16 PM
Congratulations Cathy and Colin on your very special boy - I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of Charlie - he is so lucky to have found such a wonderful home.

I know this has been a difficult time for you but I'm so pleased that you are building a relationship with Charlie and already finding him rewarding.

Dogs with special needs are so very rewarding - I can only echo Karlin's words, if you are able to open your heart and your home to a special needs dog, you will find it an amazing experience. Yes there is often heartache and emotional stress, but the bond you develop is incredible.

Vickie
28th October 2007, 09:02 PM
Oh Cathy you've got me in tears here over both yours and Colin's kindness and love. You both are truely wonderful people :flwr:

Holly
28th October 2007, 11:27 PM
Wow---how amazing!!! Charlie is one lucky little boy.... :)

Cathy--- did he start life in a puppy mill??

Cathy Moon
28th October 2007, 11:54 PM
Cathy--- did he start life in a puppy mill??
I'm fairly certain I was told that he was bought at a pet store, and usually brokers buy from puppy mills and sell to pet stores.

Even though Charlie is cute in his special 'Charlie' way:luv:, he doesn't meet the breed standard in many ways! He does have lovely color in his coat, though.

Cathy Moon
29th October 2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all your kind words, everyone.

We are just so lucky that we have a veterinary neurologist who is experienced with SM and a full service veterinary hospital nearby, only a 30 minute drive. Once I realized Dr. Axlund is in Ohio, everything fell into place for us and for Charlie! :flwr:

OhMarley
5th November 2007, 12:50 PM
reading this made me all teary, What you've done is just wonderful. He just looks like such a lovely little boy, goodluck and keep us posted.