• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We've adopted Charlie

Cathy Moon

For those of you who remember little Charlie, the rescue cav from California who has SM -

Colin and I adopted him earlier this week. I flew to California to meet him this past Saturday, and for the next few days Charlie got to know me and I learned how to care for him; then we flew home to Ohio on Tuesday. Charlie was in rescue for just over a year.

We have a veterinary neurologist nearby who is experienced with SM, and we have our first appointment with him this coming Tuesday afternoon. Even though Charlie's medication has been increased over time it isn't controlling his pain adequately and we are hoping his new neuro can help him.

Tomorrow afternoon we're taking him to our regular vet because he needs attention for his sensitive ears, itchy skin, and one paw has two swollen pads. I will post photos as soon as he's feeling better, after he sees the vet.

In the meantime, I'm happy to report that he loves soft toys and his favorite is the colorful PetStages ball that has lots of knots to chew on. :luv: He also loves to sleep with his little head resting on Geordie's stuffed piggy toy for a pillow. Even though he is severely handicapped, he still acts like a puppy sometimes!

Here is a thread about him:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=18767

Cathy - you have done such an oustanding thing!! I look forward to hearing more about Charlie's development. I'm just tickled pink for him that he has you to love him and care for him. Can't wait to see pictures of the sweet boy!

Wow-- bless you guys for opening your heart to this boy. Outstanding is exactly the word that pops into mind.

You made me cry. I have been watching Charlie and hoping that someone could rescue him, make sure that he had some quality of life and love him forever. Thank you, Cathy and Colin, for opening your home to him. You are indeed special people.

You made me cry. I have been watching Charlie and hoping that someone could rescue him, make sure that he had some quality of life and love him forever. Thank you, Cathy and Colin, for opening your home to him. You are indeed special people.
Phyllis, it was your last post about him that alerted us to the fact that he was still waiting for a family. That's when we started discussing adopting him. So I want to say Thank You!:)

OMG...what an amazing and wonderful thing you have done!!!!!!! I am at a loss for words because your kindness has put tears in my eyes. Sweet Charlie is so blessed!!!!! Cathy, you are an angel...

:rah: You are awesome!!!! :rah:

CavalierTalk and all the members who post here have made it possible for us to even consider adopting a special needs cavalier like Charlie. I never would have had enough knowledge or courage to consider adopting Charlie. But I have learned so much about SM from the people here.

When I first brought Charlie home, we had some worry and anxiety. Both Karlin and Nicki gave me lots of advice and helped us to make Charlie more comfortable. Karlin even called me on the phone all the way from Dublin! The trip really stressed Charlie (and me) but now each day is getting easier.

:w*w:

Cathy you and Colin are people with hearts the size of a bucket!! :lotsaluv: What in incredible story! I have been watching for news of Charlie too, I look forwards to seing :snap: of him soon and am glad to hear that he is settling in well with you, Colin and the other dogs :lotsaluv: :xfngr: That your neuro vet can help him to be more comfortable and that you can enjoy many happy years with each other! Aw, now I'm filling up too!! icon_blshing

Oh Cathy, that is an amazing thing to do :).

I'm so pleased for Charlie to find such a wonderful home. He deserves it.

xxxx

You are so good I cannot say how much please keep us informed how he goes on
:jump::jump:

photos please
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Cathy, I can't stop thinking about what a wonderful thing you have done! I woke up at 4:00am and my mind won't stop...and I haven't been back to sleep! It is just THE BEST news!! You are the answer to so many prayers for sweet Charlie.

I keep wondering if I would ever have the courage you did in adopting a special needs dog....certainly not now, but I hope one day I would. You have inspired me to do better. :flwr:

Thank you Cathy for doing what so many of of wish we could have done. God Bless you!!!

Well done Cathy & Colin ! I cannot wait to see pictures of Charlie at your house. He sounds like a wonderful dog.:paw:

How incredibly wonderful of you to bring Charlie and his special needs into your home! I just know he will fit right in and love you forever. Charlie is finally home!!!

I simply can't think of any words to add to the sentiments above mine. I am in awe of your giant heart. You are Charlie's angel. I cannot tell you how much respect I have for what you are doing for him. :luv:

Cathy and Colin, you are both amazing to have given Charlie his forever home. I'm so glad to hear that this guy has finally come home. And what a good home it is! I'm sure he'll be so very happy with you. You are both angels and having followed Charlie's story and wished I could do something to help him, I thank you both from the bottom of my heart. :)

Thank you Cathy and Colin for taking this little man on. Bless you both, I'm sure he'll love you both forever:rah::rah::rah::dogwlk::luv::luv::paw:

Back