PDA

View Full Version : Barking to get attention!

shippers
29th October 2007, 12:36 PM
The last few days Sally seems to have found her voice. She has only ever barked whilst playing in the past but recently she's started barking for attention. I was just on the phone to the groomer and she started barking because I wasn't giving her attention and when I sit at the computer if she's not on my knee she barks at the side of the chair. I'd ignore her but we have neighbours so I can't let her make that noise. I want to stop her now before it's a problem.

ann
30th October 2007, 10:53 AM
Try this it worked on Ellie.....Put some stones or marbles into a container with a lid ( I use a plastic beaker).....Dont let Sally see it.
As soon as she barks......shake the beaker and tell her a firm no....
It is better if they dont see you shake it.....
When she goes to bark again, she may think she is going to hear the nasty noise :confused: Persist a few times and hopefully she will stop barking..
I know that it is said to just ignore bad behaviour, but somtimes its not possible.....
I could be totally wrong ....but this tip has worked for me and Ellie....

Cathy Moon
30th October 2007, 11:30 AM
I've been having the same problem with Charlie. He tends to bark when we're having a meal, or when he's in the car in his crate. When he barks (and I know he has been outside to potty recently) I ignore him. As soon as he's quiet, I reward him with my attention. It's working, and he's much calmer about everything.

AT
30th October 2007, 12:55 PM
Turning your back to them until they are quiet works , it may take 10 minutes but they will eventually go silent ( its very odd to have 4 screaming monsters suddenly go dead quiet )
Once they get the idea they are quicker to be quiet.

I did this when I was minding my sisters dogs before we went for a walk, They screamed for about 20 minutes before they got the idea & I did hear the neighbours muttering about the noise . But once the dogs knew the new rules they where much quieter than usual.

So a few minutes of hell was worth it in the long run.

shippers
30th October 2007, 01:12 PM
I shall give the stones and ignoring her a go. It's happening mostly when I'm on the phone and it's very annoying. I was trying to make a dentist appointment the other day and she started. I'm sure the woman thought this was a mad house!:o