• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Out of sight but not out of mind!!

Cathryn

Hi All!!

Just thought I would post a quick apology to you all for not being around quite so much!

Basically I am being kept very busy with the kids and their tummy bugs (Various) and even more distressingly am helping the owners of a very sweet young Cavalier puppy called "Angel" :lotsaluv:

Basically this young pup belongs to one of Josie's classmates, sadly her parents didn't think too much about where they got her from and just bought the first puppy they found listed in a freebie paper!:mad: This pretty young girl has OBVIOUSLY come from a famer, I am mad at them for their ignorance yet feel so incredibly sorry for them too, this young pup has been diagnosed with an enlarged heart and has also been swabbed and tested for Kennel Cough, results due back on Friday, she is small and slight, sleeps a lot and IMHO opinion looks incredibly weak and poorly :xfngr: that she can pull through this.

Her breeder? Yeah OK!! Mobile phone number now not being answered of course, this just makes me so mad :swear: I will do my best to help these folks, I just wish they'd come to me first for advice on where to find a healthy puppy!

Please spare a thought for little Angel, right now she needs all the Good Luck she can find!

Sorry to hear about poor Angel. They're lucky to have you on their side.
Hopefullly she will pull through but an enlarged heart so young is very sad.

Can you report the people she bought the puppy from?

Cathryn, Angel's owners are lucky to have you on their side. Updates would be great when you get a minute. I will pray for this little girl. Pray for recovery and as normal a life as possible.

Hi!!

This just gets me madder and madder! :swear:

I have, today, driven out to the address that this puppy came from, guess what? It's a holiday cottage!!:eek: These people basically got hold of a PAYG (Pay As You Go) SIM card for their mobile, all ads were placed giving this number, as soon as the last puppy (Angel ironically) was sold the card was removed (of course!!) they rented the cottage for 2 weeks and sold the pups from this address, most people wanted a cheap puppy (Angel is NOT registered) the cottage is VERY upmarket looking giving the look of people/breeders who aren't that bothered by how much they make from their litter.

Angel is still very lethargic although she does still have her "mad half hour" like most pups her age do, I was so happy to come home to my 3 baby boys (now 1 month old!) and after a change of clothes and much spraying of disinfectant, be able to snuggle their fat, chunky, healthy little bodies up close to me!! Angel's owners have now seen my own dogs and these 3 babies, comments have been made about the HUGE difference between them and Angel, which I find incredibly sad:( :(
I am in touch with the letting agency for the cottage to find out the true identity of the pups seller/breeder (may have even been a broker!) but have a feeling I am chasing ghosts in the night here folks!

I guess the moral of the story here is to avoid ads that have mobile phone numbers as the main contact, in the UK mobile numbers all start 07, this is a "well heeled" family and I feel they saw them coming, most distressing of all on my part is their receipt which states "This puppy is unregistered as we do not support the Kennel Clubs policies" ??? Folks, in the UK it costs a mere £12 to register a puppy, why on earth would a "responsible" breeder choose to NOT register a litter??

OK, off to give Angel's family the :blabla: I promised them, will keep you all posted on this babies progress :xfngr:

Sandy? I have personnally wormed this little girl myself, her coat just looked so "stary" that I felt she had never been wormed in her short little life...........

OMG!!! Cathryn this is terrible. You are so good to support these people. It is amazing the stunts that these 'breeders' pull. Poor Angel and her family - please keep us updated.

What a nightmare. I'd contact the police and RSPCA or Dog's Trust as well -- they might have a bit more pull in getting contact details. I'd not want to confront these people directly myself -- I think I'd be looking for legal tools. If they put this much thought into the process they must have been selling a lot of puppies and sound a pretty shady lot. I know from some running these kinds of operations here that they can be ruthess and dangerous.

Cathryn thank goodness this little Angel has you looking out for her. Well done:flwr:
I just get upset wondering how many more little "Angels" are out there:( who don't get the start in life they all deserve.

Cathryn thank goodness this little Angel has you looking out for her. Well done:flwr:
I just get upset wondering how many more little "Angels" are out there:( who don't get the start in life they all deserve.

I agree, Sandra.

Someone once told me to help any 'angels' I can, but that to worry about all the others would drive me crazy. I think she might be right. :(

The only way around this is educating the general public not to buy from the free ads, because, whilst there is money in it, the byb's/pf's aren't going to stop. It's simple economics of supply and demand. :( :( :(

Cathryn, you're doing a great job helping this baby.

Cathryn, this is just wonderful of you to try to help out this poor little puppy. I hope you can get her back on track and healthy.

Yet another story that shows that the cheapest puppy is not necessarily the cheapest puppy. Every now and then we get a call from someone with a dog they bought from a "breeder" that has issues and they can't get a response. So they call us for some kind of direction and advice about what to do. Our response is there is not usually much recourse; these "breeders" are very good at selling and then disappearing or writing their contracts so it's nearly impossible for the puppy buyer to get any help if there's a problem.

I just wish some of the people who call us and tell us we charge too much could read some of these stories.

I totally agree -- I cannot count how many times I have given lots of advice on finding a good breeder and then -- due to lack of patience and wanting the cheaper dog -- people get that puppy from a BYB or a questionable breeder anyway. And then, before long, there's this health problem and that -- sometimes very serious problems and even tragic deaths. And needless to say, no one is there at the breeder end to offer any help, support, advice.

But no matter how many times you try to explain that buying a living puppy is not like bargain shopping for a vacuum, some simply won't listen -- though many do realise their mistake after the fact and their next dog is chosen far more carefully.

It's the breeders of these dogs who are to blame though -- many buyers don't know what to look for and think a puppy is a puppy, as long as it isn't from a known puppy mill/puppy farm. But there are people who are experts at appearing like nice people and really just want to take your money and run. :mad: (that's the other thing that drives me mad -- people deciding to buy from someone simply because they sound 'nice'. I'd rather get my puppy from a crabby breeder who actually breeds for health and conformation nd can prove their bona fides with the right certificates, show history and recommendations!).

I agree with everything said. I contacted my vet and the CKCS breed club secretary when I first decided to get a cav and luckily apart from a little bowel problem with Pippin that seems to have settled down,they are both very healthy.
I have a friend that didn't follow my advice and has now got a very nervous timid and thin little dog who doesn't eat takes fits and is afraid of people.

I hope little Angel will be ok..

Strange but true, our pup Marlon is the opposite situation!

He was released to a reputable rescue by a puppy farmer because he thought Marlon would be returned, because he was too unhealthy.

Marlon's 'asthma' turned out to be a sawdust allergy at the 'breeders' - now that he doesn't sleep on sawdust, he doesn't cough anymore!

Which I suppose goes to show that even amongst the bad 'breeders', there are less bad ones. :)

Hopefully this little one will improve with the worm burden gone and some quality food. Be careful of the KC , Cathryn, as it's very contagious, but having said that, Sally , my second springer had it at 10 weeks and got over it, though she was a well fed chunky puppy.

People like this make me so mad!!!!
Thank godness for people like you Cathryn your doing a great job:)

:xfngr:Angel gets much better real soon

Hi All!

Just a quick update on Angel for you! She seemed a LOT livelier today although is still rather snuffly, they get her swab results back tomorrow so we will know what we are dealing with at least.

Meantime she has passed a LOT of worms since I wormed her, shall do her again in 2 weeks time (I use Drontal Puppy Liquid). Her owners are good people at heart, I have had a LONG talk to them about where they went wrong in buying from these "breeders" and they have certainly admitted this has been a expensive lesson.

I am still tracking down the owner of the cottage and have been in touch with the letting agency who tell me their clients are now in Spain for the winter :mad: Wonder if they are in on this at all? And if not what they would think if they knew how their property was being used during one of the lettings?

Will keep you all updated on Angel, and try to get a pic of the sweet little dot for you all too!!

Last of all, Thank You for all your good wishes for this little sweetie :lotsaluv:

Back