• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rio the clever Cavi :D

msunter

Hello All

Sorry for posting so late but thought I should let you know about our little alarm bell!

Early tonight my Dad collapsed in between the kitchen and hallway. As the living room door was shut I didn't hear it happen and usually with our building you here loud bangs. My sisters were both in their rooms and I was watching TV. Mum was across at our Grans.

All of a sudden I heard this almighty yelping and barking going on and my Dad was lying flat face on the carpet and Rio running around him and yelping wildly. His bark was almost screech like we had to grab him and get him out the room, as my Dad's breathing was laboured and his whole body was starting to twitch. We ran next door to my neighbour who is a care assistant and she managed to put him in the recovery position. I called for an ambulance. It has been a bit hysterical tonight. Charlie the Parson/Aussie JRT was going mad as was Rio while people milled in and out the house. The ambulance arrived and got him up there to look at him while my Mum went with him, as he began to have chest pains.

He is now back from hospital and they think it's been through him having a fainting spell and his blood pressure was also very high so he will need to take it easy over the next few days.

Honestly if it wasn't for Rio warning us with his barking and yelping, we wouldn't have heard him fall. Our Cav is one in a million :) While my Dad and Mum were at the hospital Rio lay next to my Dad's space on the bed and would not leave it even for a treat. He also wouldn't go back into his crate in the kitchen later on, as it was there he seen my Dad fall as it was just at the door to the kitchen.

Now that my Dad is home he has been all over him like a rash and hasn't left his side.
Can this emotionally affect Rio in anyway?

Thanks for listening

Thank heavens he was there to help your Dad so happy for all of you please keep us informed how your Dad gets on
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Wow, tears in my eyes. You are one lucky family to have such a devoted little cav!

My gut reaction, without knowing anything more about dog psychology than what I've read in a book or two, is that Rio won't end up with emotional problems at all. The way that I see it, you have a dog who is a total member of the pack and who responded totally naturally--something bad happened to a pack member, Rio yelped and barked to warn the rest of the pack (you and your sisters), the warning worked, your father got taken care of, and since your father needed taking care of before, Rio needs to be by your father now so that he can let you know if there's another problem--it's Rio's job now. Everything happened exactly the way it is supposed to in his little doggy world--all of that is only good. And that he sat and worried while your parents were at the hospital, that also is totally natural--something bad happened and the pack got separated, and he was worried until everyone was where they were supposed to be again. I think that he probably wouldn't go back to his crate later because he is separated from the pack when he is in his crate, and his being part of the pack was very reinforced and particularly strong just then.

Hope that your father is feeling better soon, and :mexwav: for Rio.

Back