• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help - Is there a difference?????

TillyTommy

I currently have 2 elderly Cavi's and I am hoping to add to my dog family in the spring. I have a bleniem and a tri, I was thinking of get a Ruby but I have heard rightly or wrongly they can be highly strung and little rascals! Is this true - Are different colours really so different?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks - My little blenheim is a darling but my tri is a rascal! I did look at an older Ruby boy, he was nearly 2 and was told he was good on the lead - never seen a dog jump around like he did outside, never settled or calmed down, I did think this was more to do with his upbringing then colour. For various reasons we did not have him but are still hunting for an addition!!

I thik people just use the setreotype of 'if it has red hair it must be wild and impulsive' but living in a country full of people with red hair, they will pretty much debunk that myth themselves! :lol: With cavaliers, and having had plenty come through rescue, I've always found the difference is between individuals, never between colours. My blenheim is the sassy one in this house and I have one laid back and one flibbertygibbit tri and my mother has a laid back blenheim... and I know some very low key rubies... the best way to get the personality that most suits you is work wth a club-registered show breeder of good reputation who focuses on health and temperament and conformation. A good caring breeder who already is breeding healthy and happy dogs will know exactly the personalities of each puppy in a litter and can make sure the right match is made.

Never go by those old tales of 'pick the one that comes right away to you' *unless* you want an outgoing lively and probably somewhat challenging and willful puppy and adult dog, as the most active one is going to be just that personality (great if you want an active dog to do agility with for example; not so great if you want a quiet laid back dog! :eek:). A good breeder will interview you about your family situation and lifestyle, and then match you to the right puppy options from a litter. :)

Well, we have blens, tri's and a new (to us) ruby and it was the ruby that was getting most over-excited (yappy!) about fireworks tonight.

She is a darling, but she is quite feisty. I personally think blenheims are the funniest and most intelligent, but maybe I've only been blessed with cerebrally-challenged tri-colours so far ;) ;).

Thanks all of you so much, The breeder I am hoping to purchase from knows clearly what i am looking for. I actually saw last litter but she only had 2 boys left and I have heart set on a little girl, having to older cavi's I guess i would like the most gentle and laid back and NO will not have the one that comes running up to me! Maybe I need to reconsider as my Tommy has heart mur, and about every 4 months gets terrible attacks in his hind quaters. They think its a nerve thing but are not certain. He suffers terrible for about 10 days then it passes but each attack seems worse then the one before. 3 vets still cant say exactly what it is

I have a red head ruby and although he is noisier than Merlin I would say that its just a different personality. Merlin is calm and regal whereas Oakley is just a scruffy bum and I think thats why we say he is the fiester one - However, he is the most cuddly one - he has to be next to you whereas Merlin is fine as long as he can see you with one eye open.

Back