PDA

View Full Version : Satin Balls

coconut
5th November 2007, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, i am thinking of making satins balls for molly as she is very thin and small, she is 2 yrs old and is way smaller than baxter who is 10 months old!!

Just wondering were i would get total cereal and unsulfured molasses in ireland. Going to try and make them during the week and see how it goes!

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Nicki
5th November 2007, 11:49 AM
I usually make up about 1/5th of this amount, as it makes a HUGE amount.

Lidl or Aldi do a Total cereal - it's the one with the different grains in.

I really struggled to get the molasses, so had to resort to the one preserved with sulphur {lots of dried fruit is also preserved wtih sulphur eg apricots!}. Ideally you would want the unsulphured one, maybe a health food shop?

This does freeze - and is also good for doggie birthday cakes as it holds it shape!

Karlin
5th November 2007, 02:03 PM
Health food shops are good for molasses. :) You could use bran flakes or any multi grain flake cereal or even special K -- all these cereals are fortified with vitamins etc. so having the exact grain mix wouldn't really matter too much I think.

Cathryn
5th November 2007, 08:20 PM
I usually use Cheerio's in mine!!

Debby with a Y
6th November 2007, 05:14 AM
A question, do you cook this mixture or just stir it up raw and feed it that way?

Nicki
6th November 2007, 07:38 PM
the original recipe was just to stir it up raw. Obviously be careful where you source your eggs - organic free range would be best.

If the mince {hamburger} is bought frozen ie frozen in an industrial freezer, NOT a home freezer, then it's ok to use raw. otherwise bring it up to the boil in some water and boil it for a few minutes, then drain and use it.