• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccine question

Claire L

I have been looking through Cara's File and it is now just over a year since her last vaccination. Last year she received booster injection Vanguard 7 vaccine. Should I just get her the Leptosporosis shot this time? she runs in the park. I don't know her history and I assume she wouldn't have been vaccinated prior to last year. I don't just want to leave it to my Vet to decide so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cara will be 5 yrs old on her gotcha day next February.

Hmm! A tough one for me as I am not sure if the Irish vaccinations are the same as the UK one's? Over here if they have had a full vaccination the year before they get a "reduced" booster the year after, there are certain elements of the vaccine that need to be boostered annually and others that are more "long lived" such as Parvo that don't need to be "topped up" as frequently. Might be worth getting a blood titre done and seeing what exactly needs to be "topped up" so to speak??

Just my thoughts is all!

I only do lepto annually and the booster I do every three years. Anicare Vets are happy with this arrangement and have moved to recommedning three years for boosters but lepto annually. I ask them to do all injections in the leg.

I only do lepto annually and the booster I do every three years. Anicare Vets are happy with this arrangement and have moved to recommedning three years for boosters but lepto annually. I ask them to do all injections in the leg.

This is what i am now doing, lepto annually and the booster every 3 yrs. Why in the leg?

That's grand! I was just a bit unsure with Cara and Minnie being rescues.............. perhaps they might need something more.
I'll just proceed as normal then and do the Lepto (y)

yes much better to give ANY injections to Cavaliers in the loose skin in the front of the back leg - esp if you don't know their status with regard to SM.

There is so much going on in the neck area with SM, that it is safer to avoid completely. Also if they do develop a tumour at the injection site {which happens very rarely} a leg could be amputated - you can't do that with the neck...

Back