• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A little amusement for people with multiple dogs

Barbara Nixon

A game played at some dog club parties is ' Spot your dog', where people are blindfolded and have to recognise their dog from others of same breed or similar shape, by touch only. The dog is handled by someone who doesn't allow it to give the owner behavioural clues.

You could try this at home, with your cavaliers and , much to their amazement, was found to be quite difficult by people on another forum, who had several dogs.

Make it more difficult: What if you were only allowed two places to touch the dogs and were not allowed to swap them about to compare ?

I could do mine on being offered just an ear leather: Joly's are very small, Teddy's are large and heavy and Monty's are super large. Tummy would be a backup choice, as Teddy's is bare, Monty's has lots of hair and Joly's tummy hair is very soft.

It's funny that you should post this, because I was awake during the night and feeling around for who was where in the bed! :rolleyes:

The difference I felt was that Bentley's eyes bulge more than Clancy's do. :rolleyes: They're both about the same hairiness-wise, and their ears are very similar, too. So, it's the bulgey eyes for me!

On a side note, we do occasionally say to Bentley when he's very excited;
"Bentley, keep your eyes in your head!!" because sometimes they look as though they could pop! :eek:

Hee, that's funny!

All of my cats have differently shaped tags on their collars and I've used that to identify them in the dark. Could work with dogs too!

Sounds like a fun game! BUT I would be SHOCKED if I was not able to feel which dogs were mine....if I got it wrong, I'd probably cry all the way home! (It seems like I SHOULD also be able to sense their energy.)

Ah what fun! :)

I reckon I could do it in a blink. Even when we had 8 dogs I could tell all of them apart by the texture of their coats, the shape of their littlle faces, the size of their feet, body shape. Even if a dog sneaks into the bedroom when I am sleeping, I can tell who it is before they get to the bed by their footsteps and the sound of their breathing. Sam the Boxer is snort, snort, thump thump. Beau has to run everywhere, even when he is sleep walking, and Sonny is so polite & gentle & stealthy when it suits him.

Another fun thing to do is to have photos of your dogs (the bigger the better) & then crop the pictures into just a nose, just an eye, a foot, whatever, and see if you can pick when one it is by the tiny portion of them.

I think I could do it by smell alone. Colin has a very sweet smell to the top of his head. Teddy has his own unique smell, but very unlike Colin. Oh, and Colin has a small patch on his belly with only baby fine fur.

Our two have a different smell also, but all we'd need to do is touch the head. Elvis' cowlick is a dead giveaway. :D

Back