• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Christmas week meetup in South Florida!

Debby with a Y

Hi everybody, I live near Fort Lauderdale International Airport and I've discovered that Ginger's mom will be visiting near here over Christmas! I know that Julie is here in Miami and I wonder...who else lives around here...or who is visiting here around Christmas...and would like to have a doggy holiday get-together? There is a GREAT dog park, Bark Park (clicky), that is very convenient to I-95, I-595, the Turnpike, and U.S. 1 and it has a separate gated small dog area.

My partner and I do not celebrate Christmas so we are free that day...we may have an out of town visitor but he could come along or find something else to do.

By "who will be around here" in the event that you don't know our geography, some towns within two hours of here include Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Stuart, Naples, Key Largo, and maybe more I haven't thought of.

How about we start this just by anyone who lives near, or will be visiting near, to just post where you live or visit and what days are good for you? I would love to meet your doggies (and you of course!) :dogwlk:

Last edited:
DebbY!
Im glad you posted this as I just read that Lexi's mom lives in Miami too and maybe she'd be interested.
We will be heading down there from NYC on 12/23. We do not celebrate Christmas either, but we are free from then till the 30th day. Each day as equally open as the other!!
We will be in Sunny Isles Beach. (North Miami Beach)
This will be so much fun!!

Estee, great, we will have two Gingers!! You are really close to the Bark Park where you are staying. I'd like to wait until we see who else will be here before we pick a day. :blabla:

I just pm'd Julie and I'm going to pm Lexi's mom now.

Oh my goodness! This is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!

I told my hubby about this too and he's so excited. Ginger looks really excited too (okay I know I'm crazy).

I am really excited to meet you Estee and your Ginger! I say we call your Ginger "The Athletic Ginger" and my Ginger "The Lazy Ginger" :)

Our dates are pretty much all open including Christmas afternoon. This will be a wonderful Christmas gift for our sweet Cavaliers.

Crittercall I know you live up in Central Florida but do you think you can come down?!!!

Woud love to meet you and your beauties too!!! :mexwav:

YIPPEE! A Cavalier Meet Up in South Florida! Count me and the Z'sters in!

Ziggy and Zena can't wait! I will be free on 12/26, 12/28, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1 and 1/2. The Z's and I are SO excited! See you then!

The park's website is very helpful. It says that there is even a place for our puppers to swim. This is gonna be a blast.

Thanks Debby with a Y for putting this all together!

I was reading through the Bark Park website and they indicate that they will be closed on Christams Day! So I guess the 25th is a no go.

Thanks to Debby for putting all this together!!!

OOPS well we have several weeks to come up with a day that is good for most of us! After all, it is nice for the park employees to get that day off!

sounds good

hey everyone!
that sounds awesome! my hubby is also very excited about the meet up.
we'll actually be out of state until 12/28
anytime after that sounds ok. why is it again that we're waiting til christmas week to meet up? i know at least for me, i will have many more available days to choose from if we did it a couple weeks earlier.
thats just me though.
so how old are everyones cavys?
mine is only 10weeks old right now.
shes a doll.
anyone care to show me how to post pics? is there a code i have to learn?
hope to hear from everyone soon!
-vanessa (lexi's mom) lol

Vanessa, I'd love to meet you and your husband and Lexi anytime, the park is great...but Lexi will have to have her final rabies shots before then and she is too young yet. You have to show your dog's rabies tag to get in there. Please PM me when she has had them so that Barkley can meet her! He is very gregarious and loves other doggies!

We are "waiting" for this get-together because some people from other states will be in town for Christmas and it will be fun! But I'm happy to meet other South Floridians at the Bark Park any weekend afternoon that I'm free.

Barkley will be FOUR MONTHS OLD TOMORROW!!! And he is growing like a weed!!!

Note to everyone...make sure you have your dog's rabies tag with you for the park, they won't let you drive through the gate without it! I simply take it off him when I stuff him in his carry crate and loop it through the handle so that I can show it to them easier.

rabies

hey debby,
how old do they have to be for the rabies shots?
16weeks right? i figured she'd be old enough by like the 2nd week of december.
how do the dog parks work? are there all kinds of dogs that get to run around at free will? hmmm......is that safe with some of those bigger dogs out there?

Yes, 16 weeks is the very earliest.

I only know Snyder Park (linked above) but it has a separate entrance for a small dog area and that is great!!! The dogs can be off leash and they have a BLAST. I've taken Barkley into the big dog area but only when Barkley is on leash so I can snatch him up if need be...haven't needed to, though.

I took him there Sunday afternoon and there were many adorable small dogs of many breeds and he wore himself out wrestling with all of them. It is fantastic socialization for them. Also they have a few agility items there and I was able to get him to jump over an obstacle!!!

They also have a place to wash your dog and many people do just that. And they have poopy bags available. They do request you bring no food or treats into the park to prevent dog fights.

There is a separate yard gated off from the big dog area near the small dog area...we used that Sunday to try to introduce Barkley to my partner's Giant Schnauzer. It didn't go well (we've since gotten tips from trainers on what we did wrong) but it was nice to have a "private" area.

There may be parks near you as well, I only know this one, but it is VERY convenient to anywhere in South Florida and it is only $1 to get in!

look what i found!

Hey everyone, I found a whole list of dog parks all over florida. This is convenient for anyone more north of us that might wanna do the same thing!
maybe we could even find a few that we like and rotate every so often. :jmp2:
the one in plantation sounds nice too.

Florida Dog Parks

St. Johns County Paw Park Park
City:
Augustine, FL

Hours: Sunrise - Sunset
Location: Within Treaty Park; from I-95, exit 94 North to Wildwood Drive, located between SR 207 and Federal Hwy 1
Features: Fenced, tables, trees, parking, restrooms, poopbags, trashcans, water source, picnic tables, agility equipment, separate small dog area.

Dog Beach
City:
Bonita Springs, FL
Hours: Dawn - dusk
Features: Basically a sandbar surrounded by shallow water where dogs can swim and run off-leash safely; sanctioned by the city. NOTE- we have had a report that leash laws are now enforced and that fines will be given for off-leash dogs.

Happy Tails Canine Park
City:
Bradenton, FL
Hours: Dawn - Dusk
Features: One of the county’s largest public properties, this 140-acre sporting complex features jogging and bike paths, a tennis complex, various athletic fields and a swimming pool. There’s also a gymnasium complete with programs for all ages, two full-size golf courses and two gulf-side beaches staffed with lifeguards.

Dr. Paul’s Pet Care Center Dog Park
City:
Coral Springs, FL 33065
Hours: Dawn - 9:30 pm
Features: Dr. Paul's Pet Care Center Dog Park provides a unique recreation area for dogs and their families. Equipped with agility equipment, an open field, and water stations, the park provides a place for dogs to frolic off leash with their owners.

Pooch Pines Dog Park at Okeeheelee Park
City:
Delray, FL

http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/parks/specfac/dog_park/index.htm
Features: Fenced, 5 acres, paved pathways, shaded sitting areas, disposal bag dispensers and receptacles, trash cans, restrooms and parking nearby, separate areas for large and small dogs, canine drinking stations, dog washing area.

The Dog Park in Lake Ida Park
City:
Delray, FL
Phone:
Website: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/parks/specfac/dog_park/index.htm
Hours: Sunrise - sunset
Features: 2.5 acres, (2) fenced-in areas: one for small dogs and one for large dogs, (2) canine drinking stations, (1) dog washing area, (8) shaded sitting areas, paved pathway, dispensers and receptacles for dog waste bags, restrooms and parking areas located nearby, information kiosk.

Bark Park at Snyder Park
City:
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Phone:
Website: http://ci.fort-lauderdale.fl.us/cityparks/snyder/barkpark
Hours: 7 an - 7:30 pm
Features: Fenced, two open-air pavilions, benches, disposal bags, trash cans, parking, restrooms, water, separate area for small dogs, two hose stations, drinking fountains, agility equipment, small nature area with more than 20 labeled native trees. Freshwater dog swim Sat.-Sun. and holidays 10-5, first weekend in Mar.-first Sun. in Dec.; fee $1.

Dog Beach
City:
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hours: 3pm - 6pm Sat & Sun only
Location: A stretch of ocean beach, beginning at Sunrise and A1A
Features: A stretch of ocean beach, beginning at Sunrise and A1A, has been designated the 'dog beach' in Fort Lauderdale. A permit is required to use this beach and you must have it with you (fee is $5.30 per visit or $15 + tax for a year). I do not believe any provisions have been made to provide special permits for tourists . It is best to check with the city before you bring your dog here.

Hugh Taylor Birch Park
City:
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Features:

Dog Wood Off-Leash Park
City:
Gainesville, FL
Phone: 352-335-1919
Hours: Sat.-Sun. noon-5
Features: Six-foot fence, 15 acres, double-gated entry and exit, jogging trail, hammocks, gazebo, picnic tables, lounge chairs, swinging and regular benches, multiple clean-up stations with disposal bags, indoor restrooms, free bottled water, soft drinks for sale, two large swimming ponds for dogs, wading pools, dog shower, agility course, sunny and shady areas for small dogs, park-provided tennis balls. Park also offers a do-it-yourself dog wash, a doggie boutique, dog day care, a dog photography studio and agility and obedience training.

Gainesville DogWood Park
City:
Gainesville, FL
Hours: Open to visitors on Saturday and Sunday from 10am until 5pm
Features: 15 acres, completely fenced with 6-foot high chain link fence, all entrances and exits are double-gated. The park has a jogging trail, hammocks, picnic tables, lounge chairs, swinging benches, regular benches, two huge dog swimming ponds, kiddie pools, a fountain, a gazebo, an agility course, a sunny small dog area, a shady small dog area, a dog shower, indoor restrooms, soft drinks for sale, free bottled water, agility-type obstacles in the main park, park-provided tennis balls, multiple poop clean-up stations with bags and scoopers provided. DogWood Park is park of Dog Central Station which includes a do-it-yourself dog wash (The Dog Wash), a doggie boutique (The Spot Shop), dog day care, agility training, and obedience training.

Fees:
$5 for the first dog, $2 for each additional dog, and $1.50 for each person.

Jupiter Beach
City:
Jupiter, FL
Features: Benches, handicap access, poopbags,parking, restrooms, trash, shelter.
comments = a nice area to meet and play with other dogs.

Higgs Beach Dog Park
City:
Key West, FL 33040
Phone:
Hours: 6am to 11pm daily
Features: social spot for dogs in Key West -- actually, two spots: We've got one for dogs weighing 25lbs or less, and another, larger area (where you'll usually find me) for dogs of all sizes. Bring along your owner and let's have fun!"

Palatlakaha Environmental and Agricultural Reserve (or PEAR Park)
City:
Leesburg, FL
Phone:
Website: http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departments/public_works/parks/
Hours:
Features:

Dog Chow Dog Park at Kennedy Park
City:
Miami, FL
Features: Fenced, benches, handicap access, trees, parking, restrooms, water, trashcans.
Comments = lots of trees and places for pooches to sniff and explore; a separate fenced area for small dogs to run.

Rover Run
City:
Naples, FL
Features: Fenced, benches, handicap access, poopbags, trees, parking, water, trashcans.
Comments = lots of trees and places for pooches to sniff and explore; a separate fenced area for small dogs to run.

look what i found part2...

MORE PARKS...continued (it didnt all fit in one post)

Paw Park of Historic Sanford
City:
Orlando, FL
Hours: 7:30am to 7:30pm daily
Features: Fenced, Double Gated Entrance, Benches, Tables, Self Watering Bowls, Dog Showers, Small Dog Area, Poopbag Dispensers, Parking, Handicap Access, Community Bulletin Board, Nicely Shaded with Mature Oak Trees, Located 20 Min North of Downtown Orlando, Easy Access from I-4.

HAPPY TAILS DOG PARK AT SEMINOLE PARK
City:
Plantation, FL 33317
Phone: 954-452-2510
Website: http://www.plantation.org/parks/City-Parks/happy-tails-dog-park.html
Hours: 7 am - Dusk
Features: Happy Tails Park is a great new place to walk your dog and meet friends. Located at Seminole Park in the City of Plantation, the park provides five acres dedicated to man's best friend.

The park is home to the Plantation Canine Unit and features three distinct activity areas: a leash free run and fun area for large dogs, an exercise area ideal for agility training and an area for smaller dogs (twenty-five pounds or less).

The park features ample parking, restroom facilities and pavilions and is open to the public from 7:00 a.m. until dusk, seven days a week. Holiday hours will vary.

Paw Park of Historic Sanford
City:
Sanford, FL
Phone: 407-330-5688
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
Features: Fenced, double-gated entry, shaded with mature oak trees, historic lighting, paved walkway, benches, tables, disposal bag dispensers, parking, self-watering bowls, water misting station, dog showers, separate area for small dogs, community bulletin board. Access for the disabled.

Bark Park Inc.
City:
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Phone: 850-267-3936
Hours:
Features: 2 acre off leash dog park in Walton County.

Fees:
Memberships $20.00 per year. Bark Park Training Academy. Sponsored by Pet Butler, America's Pet Waste Cleanup Service.

17th Street Park & Paw Park
City:
Sarasota, FL
Hours: Daily dawn-dusk
Features: Six-foot fence, 6 acres, lighted, double-gated entry, trees, benches, tables, disposal bags, trash cans, parking, restrooms, water, dog shower, separate area for small dogs, community bulletin board.

Lakeview Park
City:
Sarasota, FL
Hours: Dawn - Midnight
Features: Six-foot fence, double-gated entry, many trees, benches, tables, disposal bags, trash cans, parking, restrooms, water, dog shower, separate area for small dogs, community bulletin board. Access for the disabled.

Satellite Beach Dog Park
City:
Satellite Beach, FL
Phone: 321-777-8004
Hours: 8am - 8pm
Recreation Park (west of the Satellite Beach Library)
Features: 6' perimeter fence (1.5 acres), Double-gated security entrance area, Separate fenced small-dog area, Tables and benches under shade trees, Memorial brick path, Dog-wash and drinking water areas, Dog toys, playground equipment, fire hydrants! Waste disposal stations throughout, Next to natural habitat area, Located at Satellite Beach Sports & Recreation Park next to public library, Parking and restrooms nearby.

Fees:
$2 for up to 2 people with 3 dogs

$3 for more than 2 people or more than 3 dogs

Annual Memberships

Individual (human) $150
($100 if all dogs are spayed/neutered)

Family (human) $200
($150 if all dogs are spayed/neutered)

Ft. DeSoto County Park
City:
St. Petersburg, FL
Features: Benches, tables, trees,parking, phones, restrooms, water, trash
comments = A portion of the beach is designated for dogs. A very scenic park with lots of things to do.

Tom Brown Park
City:
Tallahassee, FL
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Features: Fenced, benches, poopbags, trees, parking, water, trash.

Al Lopez Park
City:
Tampa, FL
Features: Fenced, benches, tables, handicap access, poopbags, trees, parking, restrooms, water, trash cans, separate large dog and small dog areas.

Lake Idamere Park
City:
Tavares, FL
Website: http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departments/public_works/parks/
Features: The dog park features three separate areas; one for larger dogs, another for smaller canines and a third for future expansion of a doggie obstacle course. The fenced-in dog park also offers multiple entry gates, dog-waste stations, water stations and plenty of shade trees. The fishing pier, which overlooks the 96-acre Lake Idamere, features a 30-by-12-foot platform at the end of the pier and is constructed of low-maintenance and durable composite decking.

Brohard Beach & Paw Park
City:
Venice, FL
Phone:
Hours: Dawn - midnight
Features: Six-foot fence, trees, benches, tables, shelter, disposal bags, trash cans, parking, water, dog shower, separate area for small dogs, community bulletin board. Dog Beach is accessed by boardwalk from Paw Park. Dogs are permitted in a restricted area along Brohard Beach as indicated by beach signs.

Woodmere Park & Woodmere Paw Park
City:
Venice, FL
Hours: Dawn - Dusk
Features: Fenced, double-gated entry, trees, benches, tables, disposal bags, trash cans, parking, restrooms, water, double-gated section for small dogs near the front gate, dog shower, community bulletin boa

WOW, great list!!! Thanks!!! I'm going to save that to a Word document and take it with me when I do car travel with Barkley!

Just bringing this to the top to remind people...I see no reason why there couldn't be one meetup near Christmas and another one after the New Year to accomodate everyone; I live just minutes from the Bark Park and we go there frequently. We can set a date/time for this in mid-December once everyone's travel plans are firmer!

Back