• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog shows in South Florida this winter

Debby with a Y

I checked the dog show calendar online and there are many shows here in South Florida, USA this winter!

If any of you will be showing or visiting any of these shows, would you let me know? Even though I cannot show Barkley in confirmation, I'd love to get started in obedience and agility and I'd like to go to a show or two. And if you will have your doggies there, I'd love to come and cheer you on!!!

Question: can I bring Barkley to a show as a spectator? He is current on shots. I'll have a stroller for him by then; are they allowed?

Debby:

Generally dogs that are not in competition are not allowed at the dog shows in South Florida. However, every time I've gone to one, there are plenty of dogs around who never go in to the ring. So I guess the rule is not enforced as long as the dog isn't disruptive in any way.

Ziggy was scheduled to compete at the Greater Miami Dog Club Shows at Tamiami Park in Maimi taking place the weekend of 12/8 and 12/9, but I have to sing Handel's Messiah and don't think I can do both. However, it should be a good show, you would probably enjoy it.

i wanted to go too

my husband and i were looking to go to a dog show too, just as spectators, but we were hoping to take lexi with us,
what a bummer that they dont let other doggies go that arent competing.
even if the rule isnt strictly enforced, what are the odds that we show up and they have a fit or something then we have to go back home? that would suck....

Debby and Lexi's Mom:

The only dog and owner I have ever seen asked to leave was a pit pull and as you probably know, pit pulls are illegal in Miami-Dade County. So I don't think you'd have to worry too much. Besides as you both have pure bred puppies you could tell anyone who asked that you were getting your puppy used to show conditions. I couldn't get away with it, but I bet you two could.

Last edited:
Julie, will you be showing at the Miami show this year?

I was thinking it would be fun if all of us South Florida cavi owners would meet there and watch the cavi judging. I have never been to a dog show and have no idea what to expect! I go to the cat show at the War Memorial in Fort Lauderdale just about every year and I love it.

The entries close on 11/21. I really haven't decided yet. It may end up depending on the rehearsal schedule for the concert I singing in on Saturday night. if nothing else we could all meet up at the show on Sunday afternoon.

There is also a Toy Dog Show on Friday. I might do that one and not the main shows on the weekend. Would you guys be free to meet up then? There would be less of a crowd and more toys dogs to cheer for!

Friday, probably not, because I'd have to take vacation...I am taking Dec. 6th off to go to court with a friend (nasty divorce case) and I don't know if I want to ask for a 4-day weekend.Julie, do you know what day/time the CKCS's will be judged on Sat/Sun?

Back