• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is she too small?

Furry_Monster

Hello everyone. Haven't been on here in a while. In my last year of school so been a little busy.
Just have some updated pictures of Sasha.
(sorry to post pictures in here)

She is noe just over 5 month old and i was wondering, is she too small?
At the withers she is 11" and she is 15 and 1/2" round the girth. Is this the right size? (let me know if you need any other measurments)
When going on walks we have met lots of other Cavaliers (presumably fully grown) and they are more than double the size of her.

Anyway here are the pictures.

DSC04685.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04092.jpg

DSC04692.jpg

DSC04694.jpg

Enjoy!

Hi Becca!!

OK first and foremost this is a Toy breed! I get so annoyed when I see some of these massive Cavaliers that are around these days! Most of my girls are between 15-17lbs as adults, a couple of exceptions but on the whole mine are to the breed standard size and weight size!

Next thing, have looked closely at her front legs and she still has some "knuckle" there, this is where the shin bone meets the pastern (ankle bone?) if there is still a "knobbly" bit there that is NOT in proportion to the rest of her then she still has some growing left! Personnally I like bitches to have 1 season before being spayed as there are hormones released at this time that I feel help to "finish" a young girl off, also my own vet prefers to wait until almost a year old as the heart and lungs are better developed and better prepared to withstand a general anaesthetic.

You state her height and girth but not her weight, height to the withers is a part of the U.S standard but NOT the U.K standard, dogs, like children, develop at different rates, certain bloodlines are notoriously slow developers, Molly Coakers very famous Homerbrent dogs were/are typical of this, other lines are faster maturing, personnally I feel that Sheila Smith of the equally famous Salador Kennel's saying of "slow to come, slow to go" hits the nail on the head, I have seen many a younger dog who I thought incredible at that time, then see the same dog 12 months later to see it has gone "over the top" (I.E to look too much or to appear older than it actually is) !!

Hope this makes sense? Basically my message is that this is a toy breed with a weight range of 11-18 pounds, too many dogs are above this so be happy that your little one is within the recommended range!!

Hope this helps??

Awww, she's a cutie! At five months that is about right -- she is not even her full size yet. She'll keep growing til she's about age one. The final height for a cavalier should be about 12" at the shoulder so she's pretty close to that. She will still have some weight to put on yet too but should end up between 13-18 lbs. but sometimes they're a bit smaller or larger.

First of all, Sasha is beautiful!

I think Ginger @ 5 months about that size. Sasha has much growing up to do, so you don't need to worry about the size.

By the way I noticed that your birthday is coming up soon! I want to go ahead and congratulate you on your upcoming b-day in case I forget to drop by on the 13th!

Thank you all for your comments.
I did know that Cavaliers are meant to be around 12" at the shoulder but i don't think i've seen one in my area that is the standard size!
I will try and get her weight for you.

My pup weighs the same and about an inch shorter than Sasha, but he does have a wide girth though.

Males are generally heavier and stockier than females so he sounds fine too, I like to see a well sprung ribcage on a dog, very correct, we are getting many "slabsided" dogs these days, so sad........:(

What a cutie pie. In my limited experience with Cavaliers, there seems to be a wide variety of sizes that seem to fall well outside of the standard. My guys are on the largish side, though they are both quite lean. They each weigh almost 9 kilograms. They are also both considerably longer in the body that the standard. There are a number of Cavaliers in our local dog club and some of them look tiny, but because their weight is correct for their size, they are healthy happy little things. I think that if you are not showing or breeding, correct weight for size is more important than actual size.

She is very beautiful, I LOVE her freckles... she looks to be a good size to me...

Back