PDA

View Full Version : What size bag of food?

shippers
8th November 2007, 07:11 PM
Sally feeds on James Wellbeloved and Naturediet. She is still on the junior feed and I have one more 2kg bag then I will swap her to adult. I am thinking about maybe buying the bigger 7.5kg or 15kg bag when she is on the adult because it might be better value. The problem is how to store it and will it stay fresh? Also do people think the 15kg bag is too big for one dog and that it will have gone soft by the time it is used? My friend has two collies and she buys a 15kg bag and empties it into a plastic bin and stores it under the stairs and just scoops it out but then they are much bigger dogs and there are two! What do other people do? :confused:

Gingers Mommy
8th November 2007, 07:59 PM
Well this is what I do
I buy the smaller bags, put them in a plastic bin and scoop out the servings when needed.
It works for the amount of space I have to take it out of the bag and I think it keeps it fresher.
I also tend to switch up her food every 6 months or so, so buying the smaller bag doesnt limit me to being stuck should I want to change.
There are a number of products on the market for storing dog food.
Hope that helps! Im sure others will have better advice!

Karlin
8th November 2007, 10:54 PM
The larger bags offer significant savings so get the largest you can. I use a large plastic Royal Canin food container which holds a 10 or 15kg bag. You can often get them at dog shows or at special promotions. A plastic garbage bin with a tight fighting (airtight) lid would work as well.

Karlin
8th November 2007, 10:58 PM
Here you go:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=156

shippers
9th November 2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. We're going to crufts in march so I will look there. I'm still thinking maybe 15kg bags is too much for 1 cav it would probably take her a year to get through it. Maybe the 7.5 kg bag would be better. Will definitely have to get a container to put it in.