PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Mill 1100 Dogs

Sydney
8th November 2007, 07:32 PM
Ruby here,
Animal rescue groups across Virginia have been mobilized this morning when more than 1,100 dogs, mostly small breeds, were discovered at a puppy mill in Hillsville, Virginia. Not sure yet if any of the breeds were Cavaliers, but you can find out more information at the Caroline County animal control web site here:

http://gov.carrollcountyva.org/animalcontrol/

Sydney and I will try to find out more information and maybe drive down to see if we can help. We'll let everyone know if any of the breeds were Cavaliers like us.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

Sydney
8th November 2007, 07:48 PM
More on this

Puppy Mill 'Emergency' in Virginia HILLSVILLE, Va. from ABC 7 News -
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1107/470394.html (http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1107/470394.html)

Carroll County officials have summoned help from state emergency officials and the Red Cross to help care for more than 1,100 puppies found at a commercial dog breeding operation targeted by the Humane Society of the United States.
The Humane Society last week released results of a five-month undercover investigation claiming to have found nearly 1,000 "puppy mills" in Virginia.
Animal control officers and a veterinarian visited Horton's Pups in Hillsville on Thursday and found 1,080 puppies - a number that swelled to 1,100 with births over the weekend. The owner, Junior Horton, surrendered most of his dogs, and county and town officials are working with a local animal advocacy group on a plan to remove them.
"The numbers are swelling," said Carroll County Administrator Gary Larrowe, who declared a local disaster, which brought in help from the state's Department of Emergency Management. Red Cross workers even showed up to feed volunteers who came to assist with the animals.
On Saturday, 43 adult dogs were removed from Horton's property, and 65 puppies were taken on Tuesday. Each was given a health check and rabies vaccination and scanned for implanted microchips, Larrowe said.
Staff veterinarians with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Carroll County Animal Control officers are overseeing the triage.
Larrowe's office issued a statement saying that Horton "has further been made aware that he will be under the close scrutiny of animal control officers to make certain that the remaining animals are kept in proper conditions and are not subjugated to unacceptable breeding practices."
Horton said he had kennel licenses for around 500 dogs but did not have one for all of them because many were very young puppies. He advertises Continental Kennel Club-registered Yorkshire terriers, poodles, Maltese, Shih-Tsu and Lhaso Apso puppies, as well as many other breeds, on the CKC Web site, offering them for $250 to $500 apiece.
Horton, 44, said he also sales many of his puppies to Pauley's Pups, an Asland pet store.
"I think it's called dognapping," Horton said of the effort to remove dogs from his farm. "They just come in on me out of the blue."
"I've raised dogs for 20 years," he added. "I've got the best kennel in southwest Virginia."
Larrowe said animal control officers were aware of the business but did not know the magnitude of the operation. He said the animals seemed to be healthy and "pretty well cared for."
Timmy Bullion, one of Horton's four employees, was upset by the way the dogs were removed.
"The way I see it, they came here and stole all our puppies," Bullion said. "My boss is losing about $450,000 worth of dogs. I don't see how they can do something like this - take his dogs away when he bought and paid for them."
While Horton doesn't think removing the dogs was fair, he admitted that caring for them isn't easy.
"We just work at it day and night," he said. "I've got too many dogs and I know I do. But I think they should give me the right to get rid of them."

Pretty disgusting human being wouldn't you agree? Sydney and I vote to jam him in a little tiny cage and keep him there until his feet bleed too!

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

lady and amber
8th November 2007, 08:58 PM
Pretty disgusting human being wouldn't you agree? Sydney and I vote to jam him in a little tiny cage and keep him there until his feet bleed too!

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw:[/quote]

I totally agree with you, should be locked up and the key thrown away

Cathy T
8th November 2007, 09:17 PM
Couldn't agree more!!! Horrible!

Cathryn
8th November 2007, 09:44 PM
OMG!!

Over 1000 dogs?? :eek: I quite simply cannot begin to imagine what that must look like! I struggle to imagine 50 let alone 100 so this is mind blowing for me!

OK he owns them but there are obviously HUGE issues here, I quite simply cannot begin to think how they managed to care for this number of dogs even on the most basic of levels!

Will watch this thread to see how things develop. :swear:

Maxwell&me
9th November 2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us, ( and your still my hero by the way)
Keep us updated- Love to you and yours. :flwr: for all you do.

ppotterfield
9th November 2007, 10:37 PM
Ruby and Sydney: Thanks for the alert. We are not that far away. I am going to pass this information on to a couple rescue groups here in my area and see if they can help with placements and/or transport. It sounds like he has four employees for 1000 dogs. How can that be!?!?

Debby with a Y
10th November 2007, 02:45 PM
The Humane Society up the street from me went up to get 100 dogs. Lucky Star contacted them and none of the 100 are Cavaliers, but LS told them to contact them if they get Cavaliers in the future. I reminded LS that I am available for transport in the South Florida area.