PDA

View Full Version : Charlie is doing well after surgery

Cathy Moon
8th November 2007, 10:31 PM
Charlie is doing well after his surgery. :) He is sleeping, and too sedated to eat anything yet, but they feel he is doing fine so far. He will be on a combination of pain meds for awhile.

He may come home on Saturday, depending on how well he is doing.

Sorry it took so long for me to post, but this is the first time all day that I've been near my computer.

*Pauline*
8th November 2007, 10:40 PM
Oh Cathy, I've been waiting for your post all day! You must be so relieved. I said a special prayer for you this morning, I'm sure that and everyone else's prayers made sure you were blessed today. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Cleo's Person
8th November 2007, 10:44 PM
Cathy, I am so glad to hear he has come through the surgery well. :hug: :hug:

Cathryn
8th November 2007, 10:44 PM
I am so glad to hear he has come through the surgery OK :p :xfngr: That he can come home to you and the rest of the "Moonie's" on Saturday, have been thinking of you all day, having them MRI'd is hard enough I know, so this must be off the scale I guess........

Give this incredibly brave little chap a HUGE kiss and very gentle but long cuddle from me and the Ttenneb Cuddle when you visit him won't you??

Will be watching for updates......:hug: :lotsaluv:

Cathy Moon
8th November 2007, 10:45 PM
Thank you all! :hug:
His neurologist said that his brain and spinal cord were very compressed, and that everything looks much better after the surgery. I'm just so relieved he is doing well. I'm sure all the positive thoughts and prayers made a difference!

Karlin
8th November 2007, 10:47 PM
:w**h**::w**h**:

That is just great news; I've been watching for your first post! What did the neurologist say about the operation? Charlie must just be feeling a huge pain has vanished right now, the sweet boy. :)

Cathryn
8th November 2007, 10:49 PM
Thank you Pauline! :hug:
His neurologist said that his brain and spinal cord were very compressed, and that everything looks much better after the surgery. I'm just so relieved he is doing well. I'm sure all the positive thoughts and prayers made a difference!

Sounds like he got his surgery at just the right time then? If the neorologist is happy with how the op went then that should be very promising I reckon?

Dottie
8th November 2007, 10:50 PM
It sounds like your Charlie had some major surgery. So glad to hear that he came through it well and it was a success for him!

Karlin
8th November 2007, 10:50 PM
Oops I posted just as you answered! Oh I really bet he is feeling so much better already then. :xfngr: How long was the surgery?

*Pauline*
8th November 2007, 10:51 PM
The neurologist sounds very positive then, that's what you want to hear. I hope you sleep ok tonight, get as much sleep as you can Cathy, you're going to need to be on top form. :hug:

Cathy Moon
8th November 2007, 10:54 PM
Now he will be watching Charlie closely for signs that the surgery has had the desired effects.

I am hoping for the best news, but it may take a few days. Actually I'm not sure how long it will take until we know.

I'm sorry but I have to sign off for an hour or two right now.

WoodHaven
8th November 2007, 10:55 PM
Been thinking of Charlie all day... Thanks for the update. I wish I lived closer -- here is a big {{{{{{hug}}}}}} to your whole family.

Cathy Moon
8th November 2007, 10:57 PM
Oops I posted just as you answered! Oh I really bet he is feeling so much better already then. :xfngr: How long was the surgery?

I think the surgery was about an hour and 20 minutes. Because I called at 9:20am and they were just putting him under. Then his neuro called me at 10:40am. Charlie was still asleep and intubated when he called.

Cathy T
8th November 2007, 10:59 PM
Excellent fantastic news!! I thought about you all day long. Thanks for the update. Now get some rest yourself! Big hugs coming to you!

BarbMazz
8th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Ah, the wait is over, and I'm so happy to read the good news, Cathy.

Poor little man. Hopefully, he feels a release of pressure already.

Hang in there, lady... I'm sure you must be on pins and needles. Today make a little time to take a deep breath and relax yourself. :hug:

Elaine 2
8th November 2007, 11:04 PM
Great news I'm glad Charlie's ok

Karlin
8th November 2007, 11:06 PM
That sounds like it was pretty straightforward then.

Here's what Clare Rusbridge says of the surgery:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/treating/treating/surgery.html

Hope you can relax a bit; I'm sure the night before was difficult for sleeping!

Lynn
8th November 2007, 11:16 PM
:flwr: I am so happy that it went well...and he is ok!!!!!

Let's hope this good news continues!!!

:hug:

Jen
8th November 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks so much for posting Cathy. I'm glad to hear things went well, and now we'll all be waiting and watching with you to see how much relief he's been given. I hope you, Colin and the kids can get some rest, I'm sure you're all exhausted.

jld
8th November 2007, 11:45 PM
So glad the surgery is over.... bless you all and sending prayers that it was very successful. Judy and Dixie

pippa
9th November 2007, 12:36 AM
So pleased to hear he is over the surgery and all went well.

Charleen
9th November 2007, 12:45 AM
I am so glad to hear that things went smoothly. I really hope :xfngr: this helps little Charlie!

Cathy Moon
9th November 2007, 02:52 AM
The animal hospital will call tomorrow morning around 9:30am to give me a report on Charlie. I'll post if I can at lunch time. The nurse said they would see if he'd like to eat some chicken.

I had about one hour of sleep last night. I wasn't worrying about the decision to get surgery for Charlie; we truly believe we made the right choice for him, given the severity of his symptoms. It was more a matter of hoping that it wasn't too late for the surgery to give him relief - he has had severe symptoms for a long time.

Our main goal for Charlie is pain relief. I hope his mobility will improve, but the pain relief is most important.

If he gets pain relief, we can work on physical therapy, etc. I have a feeling he may need orthopedic surgery, as his hocks appear to be loose and slipping. Does anyone know anything about hock problems?

At this point we don't know what is caused by SM and what is caused by injury or just structural problems he was born with. We still think he may have been a 'swimmer' as a puppy.

frecklesmom
9th November 2007, 03:20 AM
Oh, such good news for today-have been thinking about him all day. You must feel so good about your decision for him and what a surprise he'll have as he recovers and feels less pain. A stellar performance all around :rah:

natalieandmike
9th November 2007, 03:32 AM
Hip, hip, hooray, Charlie! So glad to hear everything is well...we're thinking of you over here, and gentle hugs your way!!:paw::paw:

rory
9th November 2007, 03:41 AM
i'm so glad the surgery went well! I hope he continues to make an excellent recovery and improves post-op.

What is "swimmers" as a puppy?

Cathy Moon
9th November 2007, 04:06 AM
It's when a puppy cannot stand up; the pup's legs slide out to the sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LxIz_AO8hk
Chocolate's breeder thinks Charlie might have been a swimmer because his front legs slide out to the sides and he doesn't use them like a normal dog does.

Caraline
9th November 2007, 04:07 AM
It does sound like the surgeon is confident & hopeful for a great result for Charlie. So glad the surgery is over now. I bet you can't wait to get him home so you can cuddle him up.

Hugs for you all.

pinkpuppy
9th November 2007, 04:10 AM
It's good to hear that Charlie's surgery went well.

Cupcake Love
9th November 2007, 04:58 AM
I'm so happy the surgery went well; I've been thinking about you and Charlie today. :flwr: My fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! :xfngr:

Aileen
9th November 2007, 07:25 AM
I'm so happy the surgery went well; I've been thinking about you and Charlie today. :flwr: My fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! :xfngr:
Me Too ----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie--Sam)

Cathryn
9th November 2007, 08:23 AM
Just checking in quickly before the school run, I am glad to hear the op went well and was short, agree it does look like he may have been a swimmer as pup too, for now the main thing is that he recovers well and is free from pain the rest will sort itself out later.

Get some rest Cathy, easier said than done I know, we are all rooting for you and Charlie here! :xfngr: Will check back later for any updates!

:hug::hug:

casshon
9th November 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm so glad the Charlies surgery went well and :xfngr: he will be pain free. He looks like such a sweet boy :luv:

Claire L
9th November 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm so pleased Charlie's surgery went well :rah::rah::rah:
I pray that he will go from strength to strength as each day passes :lotsaluv:

Karlin
9th November 2007, 10:45 AM
Swimmer pups:

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/swimpup.htm

Cathy I'll be waiting to hear what is said on that morning call! :xfngr:

amanda L
9th November 2007, 12:04 PM
I am so glad to hear that surgery went well, wishing Charlie a speedy recovery :flwr:

BELLE'S MUMMY
9th November 2007, 12:49 PM
I am so glad to hear that surgery went well, wishing Charlie a speedy recovery :flwr:

me too!!!!! :flwr:
xxx

merlinsmum
9th November 2007, 12:57 PM
Me too!

The boys send healing licks over the pond to little Charlie:paw:

anniespeeps
9th November 2007, 02:30 PM
We're relieved to hear that Charlie's doing well after his surgery. You Hoosier neighbors send lots of wishes for a speedy recovery. :razz:

Spencer'sMom
9th November 2007, 03:06 PM
Cathy, I'm so relieved everything went well yesterday.

Scouty girl
9th November 2007, 03:18 PM
Cathy, sounds like everything is moving in the right direction. So happy to hear that Charlie came through with flying colors.

jcj528
9th November 2007, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear that Charlie is on his new to wellness. Whatever the results, he will always owe much to and your family Cathy. Well done!

Gem
9th November 2007, 05:50 PM
:xfngr:for a quick recovery, think he deserves extra:hug:

Denise G.
9th November 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm so glad Charlie's surgery went well. He sounds like a fighter. Here's to excellent results and a quick recovery! :)

Nicki
9th November 2007, 08:59 PM
Cathy I'm so thrilled for you that Charlie has come through the surgery ok and is doing well - have been thinking of you all x