• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

WARNING: dog flea treatments can be lethal to cats

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this in this morning's Guardian but found the same article online in the Times. heGuardian articles noted that even sharing *bedding* can trigger a fatal reaction! :eek:

From The Times
November 9, 2007
Dog flea treatment causes cat deaths
Valerie Elliott
Hundreds of cats are dying because owners are giving them powerful flea treatments designed for dogs.

Vets have warned the country’s six million cat owners about the dangers of using dog flea treatments that contain permethrin.Exposure to permethrin results in death for one in 10 cats, said the Veterinary Poisons Information Service Exposure, part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. Cats can suffer by coming into contact with a dog that has been treated with permethrin. Vets have urged pet-owners to keep flea-treated dogs away from cats for at least 72 hours and to use separate brushes and other accessories.

Permethrin triggers a violent reaction in cats. Within three hours of exposure they can suffer from nervous tics, convulsions, breathing difficulties and fits. In serious cases cats require intensive care for three or four days and without pet insurance cover, owners may face bills from £300 up to £1,500.

thanks for the warning Karlin. Knew that the treatment for dogs was dangerous for cats but never knew it could be dangerous for the cat to be in contact with the dog that was just treated. I am doing my lads later today so glad of the warning.

I was about to treat Belle the other day - with a product I got from P&H - Luckily I saw the warning on the packaging before I applied it!! I never knew a product could be so fatal. Belle is with Bambi (my cat) 24hrs a day-I dread to think what would have happened!

I'm sure this is what killed my cat years ago because they used to sleep together, and l hadn't long treated them both for fleas when the cat suddenly took ill and died, cant prove it but it was all very sudden so it could have been

Back