• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Beware of Grass

Karen S.

It has been a rough weekend for us. Lucky, Willow, and Grace were all outside eating stems of new grass. It's something they have done many times. Suddenly, I heard this awful gasping sound and saw that Lucky was choking. He could not breathe. We rushed to him and had to do the heimlich maneuver on him and out came a wad of grass. He still was breathing hard and had blood coming out of his nose. We were in a panic. This happened on a Friday evening late and we have no emergency vets. Just 1 vet for our county and he will not respond after hours. I stayed up all night with Lucky watching him and wiping blood as it seeped from his nose and as soon as daylight came we rushed him to a vet hospital 30 miles away. He was sedated and checked out. The vet found 2 long blades of grass 5 to 6 inches stuck in his throat going up into his right nostril. He say he was a very lucky dog indeed. He is resting today and wheezing a little bit due to inflamation and the vet put him on antibiotics.
The dogs go in and out all the time through a doggie door. What if we hadn't been home or if we hadn't been outside. My sweet little baby would have choked to death on grass.
Hug all your littles ones for me and please keep an eye on them when they are eating stems of grass!!! Hugs to all of you!!!

Wow!! What a terrible ordeal for you and your baby. I am so glad he is ok....that is so scary!

I am so glad that Lucky is ok! Lou eats grass all the time so i'll have to keep a very close eye on her from now on.

Wow, very lucky boy indeed! I'm really sorry this happened, how scary!

Let this also be a lesson about the potential dangers of doggie doors, too. If they have acccess to use them when you're not home, it's scary to think of what could happen to them or worse yet, someone taking them. :(

Jeez.....sounds like you are very luck indeed! That's not something I would have thought of....a blade of grass coming back up through the nose. Thank goodness he's going to be okay.

OMG what an awful thing to have happen!! Thank God he came through it OK. Our dogs eat grass every now and then; now I know this is not necessarily a harmless thing.

A little off subject, but this reminded me of something else related to grass. If you put down weed control or fertilizer, keep the dogs off it for a few days. I know the containers say a day (or something like that), but I would wait a LOT longer. And then not til after it rains or you water the grass heavily. In fact, we don't put anything at all in our back yard; we are concerned that, while the dogs may not show any ill affects, we never know if it may cause birth defects.

Our Ruby cav got a blade of grass stuck up her nose , she was coughing & sneezing for days until she sneezed & it flew out

A while back, Joly started frequent cavalier sneezes, after eating coarse grass. Then , an hour or so later, after running downstairs, he began normal, but quite violent sneezing and didn't seem able to stop. Just when I thought we'd have to contact the vet, I noticed what I thought was a speck of grass, on his nostril. This turned out to be a blade of some 2-3cm but removing it solved his problem.

Eating coarse grass has always bothered me, but it's hard to prevent, if you don't know when they are going to do it.

Thanks to all of you for your concern and kind words. I would like to address the comment on the doggie door. Since we have such well behaved dogs they are very seldom crated.
We just never thought of the potential for choking on grass. This is something we are going to have to reconsider and will probably close that door when we have to be gone. As for being stolen we live in a very rural area. Our small town has 1700 people. Everyone knows everyone and we have wonderful neighbors. We have locked gates on our chain link fences and if the thief got past that he would be met by a Belgian Tervuren who would not hesitate to protect his flock of Cavaliers. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but just not likely too.
Lucky will be 5 years old on November 18th. We will have a large birthday celebration and I wish you all could be here to share in the fun. Thanks again!

Lucky has truly lived up to his name I think:)

Thank god it's all turned out ok, things like this make us realise how precious the time we have with our special friends is

Back