• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Paws + Salt

Melissa

So since I live in Wisconsin we get snow and that leads to salt of course. I'm wondering what I can do to keep my Maverick's feet safe. I'm not too sure about shoes since he hates his feet being touched. Is paw wax a good idea?

Thanks!!

I would like to know this too. I didn't know salt isn't good on their paws. I've been rubbing my pups paws everyday since he's been here. As a daily routine all of which he use to dislike and now have gotten use to such as grooming, tooth/gum brushing, and paw massages.

He's ok with his toes being cliped and brushed but I'm not sure how he'd feel about shoes.

DH & I never laughed so hard as when we put booties on Molly & Max. We had them on our laps to put the booties on, then put the dogs on the floor....and when they started walking around...lol...it looked like doggie ballet! soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny. I can't say they loved the booties. When they got outside they walked for a bit, then we put them in their crate in the car & drove them to the woods where we walk....and in a 3 minute drive they managed to get off all the boots except one. We were hoping to have them wear the boots in the snow so the snow wouldn't ball up into the pads of their feet.

We paid like $60 for the two sets of booties...perhaps they were a little big last year and I am sure that we will try again this year...but it was just a lot to spend on something they wore only for a couple minutes.

We do have a neighbor that has a big poodle that they walk every day and the poodle wears booties because the salt does bother his feet. I talked with the owner and he said that the booties never come off and work great....and so that is the brand we bought for Molly & Max....but like I said...maybe the dogs were too small last winter.

We did buy paw wax, and I can't remember why we stopped using it...maybe because it was making the dog's feet sticky and they were getting that on the furniture.

I think what we ended up doing was taking a towel to their feet after each walk and play outside to get the salt & dirt off the pads of their feet. I wish my memory was sharper...sorry.

I know what you mean about the salt, our dogs have always had a problem with it hurting their feet. About the only thing I know of that really works are the boots. The trick is keeping them on, we never had much luck with that. I have heard others say that you have to get the type with clips that attach to a sweater that the dogs wear.

With the fenced back yard we just don't walk them anywhere there is salt in the winter. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Here in Ohio we don't have quite as much snow as Wisconsin, but we definitely are icy and snowy in winter.

I discovered this product after Bentley had a bad salt experience :( The salt on his paws really made him yelp!

http://www.safepaw.com/ I found Safe Paw, which is safe for kids and pets. I still don't like the idea of them walking in a chemical and then licking it off, so I rinse their feet if they've walked in an area where I've used the ice melter.

Here in Ohio we don't have quite as much snow as Wisconsin, but we definitely are icy and snowy in winter.

I discovered this product after Bentley had a bad salt experience :( The salt on his paws really made him yelp!

http://www.safepaw.com/ I found Safe Paw, which is safe for kids and pets. I still don't like the idea of them walking in a chemical and then licking it off, so I rinse their feet if they've walked in an area where I've used the ice melter.

I live in an apt so I really can't chose they kind of ice melter they pick :( Maybe I'll just have to resort to the boots... man is my dh gonna kill me.;)

We live in Minnesota and are very active in the winter with Abbey and Gus. As a result, we've been through various boots and jackets until we've found those that work really, really well.

For boots, we use Muttluks...and they actually stay on! http://www.muttluks.com/

For winter wear, this snowsuit is amazing. It's shown with a harness worn over it. The company is great too, they send me a swatch of the fabric so I could see just how wind resistant and water repelent it is:
http://barkandstuff.com/shop/index...._id=23&zenid=3a30e72a55f3eab377903f1e53137f60

Actually, I'm ordering the jogger for each this week, as it's perfect for the cooler temps of fall and spring--the arms are what sold us, it just keeps their legs and whole body so much warmer.

I think I'll cross-post these in the shopping section, as it's just that time of year again!

Last edited:
I'll second Jen on the muttlucks !! They might look funny at first but they get used to them. :) Their feet stay dry and safe and it's wonderful! :)

That will be a third for the Muttlucks, be sure to get the ones for Winter Weather.

They are wonderful, at first it is hilarious to see them walking in them.
Make sure to have your camera handy, but they soon get used to them, they come in all different colours too.

Both my boys wear the xxsmall.:D:D:D:D
If you get them too big they will fall off, so be sure to measure his feet.

Back