PDA

View Full Version : purse carriers

we luv lexi
12th November 2007, 10:15 AM
does anyone use a doggy purse carrier to take your cavy with you when you go out? Ive been using a regular big purse i have but i would like to get an official carrier, and i want it to look discreet. Like a purse not so much a dog carrier.
Havent found one i like....
any suggestions on good sites?

mishmosh
12th November 2007, 04:09 PM
why would you put a dog in a bag?

Debby with a Y
12th November 2007, 04:30 PM
Same reason I put my dog in a stroller, to keep it safe in crowds is just one for instance. To be able to take it into a place of business discreetly rather than leaving him or her in the car. To be able to take it onboard an airliner as carryon and place the dog under the seat in front of you. Many such carriers can be safely buckled to a car seat as a car carrier.

Barbara Nixon
12th November 2007, 04:42 PM
I don't think you'd carry one of my boys for long, even if they let you. They prefer to be on the ground and you'd have aching arms.

WoodHaven
12th November 2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think you'd carry one of my boys for long, even if they let you. They prefer to be on the ground and you'd have aching arms.

I had one puppy owner do this with one of our boys. She did it until he was 10 pounds. He went a lot of places with her-- work, sometime shopping, etc... and the specially made "purse" allowed him to be comfortable and safe.

Debby with a Y
12th November 2007, 04:54 PM
Barbara, I hear you!!!

But Lexi is still a wee baby doggie.

I got a stroller for Barkley last week and it is wonderful. I had to do a lot of volunteer work this weekend (non-dog related) and needed to have him with me as I couldn't get home mid-day to care for him. It was great because he was with me, he could not escape, and he was safely off the ground but could see everything happening around him.

I actually purchased it for an upcoming long weekend in Key West. We will be walking for HOURS each day and I can't expect Barkley to do that. And, we are not allowed to...but wouldn't anyway...leave him in the room. This way when he gets tired or if the sidewalks are very crowded, he can be popped into the stroller. And we can discreetly take him into businesses.

I would have simply purchased a carrier for him for the trip, but he is growing like a WEED and my back would break if I had to carry him around in a bag all weekend!!

Lexi's mom, here is a long thread (http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=20732)that you may find helpful.

Cathy T
12th November 2007, 05:24 PM
My big old kids won't fit in a bag!! :rolleyes: But I do have a stroller and it really comes in handy. If I feel like taking a really long walk they will walk alongside the stroller until they are done and then they get to ride the rest of the way home. On vacation we always take the stroller. I can go into the stores in the villages with the dogs. It also really comes in handy in crowded areas so they don't get stepped on. Wouldn't do without my stroller!!

Matte
12th November 2007, 05:29 PM
I got an Outward Hound over-the-shoulder carrier because our bedroom is up a very steep flight of steps and I figured it would be easier to carry her up and down. She absolutely hates the thing and is only interested in chewing on it. Fortunately, she understands the command "no squirming" when she's in my arms but we'll see if she still gets to sleep upstairs when she weighs 8 kilos (she's 3.5 now).

Cupcake Love
12th November 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm one of those crazy people who carries their dog in a purse! I have a Brighton bag for Cuppy that works beautifully. She's over the 13 lbs the bag is recommended for, but she fits just fine. Her little head pokes out the top, which she prefers. It's a beautiful bag that is easily carried on the shoulder. Here is a link:

http://www.brightonretail.com/store/wishlist.php?m=product_detail&p=LG400

Good luck in your search!

*Pauline*
12th November 2007, 11:03 PM
This thread reminded me of a picture I took when I was visiting Dylan at his breeders but she was in America. I joked I was going to sneak him away in my bag and this was the picture I sent her! :lol:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/294377781_3e7a520c20_o.jpg

Cathy T
13th November 2007, 12:31 AM
Dang....Dylan always makes me smile!!! :)

WoodHaven
13th November 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm one of those crazy people who carries their dog in a purse! I have a Brighton bag for Cuppy that works beautifully. She's over the 13 lbs the bag is recommended for, but she fits just fine. Her little head pokes out the top, which she prefers. It's a beautiful bag that is easily carried on the shoulder. Here is a link:

http://www.brightonretail.com/store/wishlist.php?m=product_detail&p=LG400

Good luck in your search!

That looks like the one they used for our pup (chevy)-- he was neutered on Thursday and I haven't heard any news, which I assume is good news. They would have called if anything bad had happened.

fun1uk
13th November 2007, 02:04 PM
I dont mean this to sound horrible as i dont mean it this way but i do think its more a usa thing,its more popular in the usa and were i live in the uk you would just get laughed at walking down the street with a dog in a pushchair lol or handbag lol

xxx

Debby with a Y
13th November 2007, 02:18 PM
Sandy, you should have heard about your Chevy puppy by now, did you call the vet to see how he is doing?

Vicky, I hear you! It really is pretty funny, but...practical. ;)

pinkpuppy
13th November 2007, 02:46 PM
Since I've never had kids would feel self-consious pushing a stroller with a pup in it. JMO On the other hand I am used to having small fur companions tucked into all my pockets as a child attending middle school. It's not uncommom for me to carry my pup in a large tote bag used for shopping.

Debby with a Y
13th November 2007, 04:46 PM
I never had kids either and I am well old enough to be a grandma (LOL!!!) and I love pushing Barkley in his stroller. People make a double take when they see that I have a doggy in there and he gets lots of attention! It is handy because I can put all of his things (towel, water dish, treats, poopy bags) in the storage area.

I also purchased the cheap Target bag for an upcoming car trip, but it is horrid for carrying him. He tips from one end to the other and he doesn't like it, despite the fact that I put a fleece crate bed inside it.

Ginger's Mom
13th November 2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with everyone here - a bag may seem suitable right now because Lexi is tiny, but she will grow up very fast. It's not so much about the size though, it's that it will be hard on your shoulders to carry a bag with a big chunk inside it. I have not bought a stroller, although I would very much like to, because my husband says that he will not go out in public with me if I get a dog stroller.
http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002006A.gif

WoodHaven
13th November 2007, 10:24 PM
Sandy, you should have heard about your Chevy puppy by now, did you call the vet to see how he is doing?

Vicky, I hear you! It really is pretty funny, but...practical. ;)

I just heard about Chevy-- they postponed the surgery until today so my daughter would be available to assist. He had a testes remain undropped, so it was a bit more like a spay in difficulty. He had no other problems and he is just a bit sleepy right now.
Chevy is a pup that didn't thrive at birth and had to be tube fed every two hours for a week, then every three hours for a week, and every four hours for a week. So- my vet figured he'd never survive all those tubings- he told my daughter today that I "did really well".

Debby with a Y
13th November 2007, 11:56 PM
Wow, Sandy, that Chevy is definitely a little survivor!!!

I'm happy to hear he is doing well after his surgery. Barkley is monorchid and will need the same surgery. I'm waiting until he is at least a year old before we get it done.

pinkpuppy
13th November 2007, 11:59 PM
:paw::xfngr:For Chevy to pull through his surgery. He's come this far.:flwr:

WoodHaven
14th November 2007, 12:27 AM
Chevy turns 1 on November 19th. He hasn't had a health issue since he was placed. His mom told my daughter that they LOVE him-- he is the mom's dog, but the dad has matching outfits (yes, this is true- I've seen pictures).
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=374728890&size=m

Here he is at 12 weeks

Debby with a Y
14th November 2007, 05:31 AM
OK Sandy, the 12-weeks picture is totally adorable and all that...but how about a picture of Chevy and his dad in matching outfits? :snap::D:eek:

WoodHaven
14th November 2007, 01:15 PM
Chevy's dad is a doctor-- so I think I was one of the very few to see the pictures-lol.