• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often should i wash Charlie?

Barba

He's only 9 weeks but a friend told me he's should only be washed every other month? Is this right?:confused:

Good question, i'd like to know this myself. Our 2 cavs are washed and groomed on average every 4-5 weeks. Obviously they're brushed and kept clean in the mean time. Have you washed Charlie yet? Eddie and Lola love it, they just sit in the bath/shower falling asleep under the water. Loki just tries to drink the water. He's also too big for the bath now! Luckily enough they only recommend you wash an akita 2 or 3 times a year at most because of the type of coat they have.:p

Good question, i'd like to know this myself. Our 2 cavs are washed and groomed on average every 4-5 weeks. Obviously they're brushed and kept clean in the mean time. Have you washed Charlie yet? Eddie and Lola love it, they just sit in the bath/shower falling asleep under the water. Loki just tries to drink the water. He's also too big for the bath now! Luckily enough they only recommend you wash an akita 2 or 3 times a year at most because of the type of coat they have.:p

Thanks adam53. Yeah, we’ve washed him once but he hated it and I felt so guilty. My friend had said that washing him too often would take away the natural oils from his coat?

I just don’t want to do him any damage. I wish Charlie was as good as Eddie and Lola to just sit there. He just cried and cried! :(

I think there are already some answers from your previous post:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21546

Thanks, but not really. In the previous post I had asked if it was ok to wash him at 8 weeks and was given advise but I just wanted to see now what the general consensus was and if washing him will take away natural oils. Probably should of stated that.

Thanks Pauline. I don't need to worry about it then. Might do exactly as you do! Thanks

I only bath my dogs if they are really grubby (and would if they were smelly or had some kind of staining). They sometimes get summer baths , to cool them down and a warm bath can help if the anal glands are playing up. Also, Teddy did have regular baths, to see if Malaseb eased his skin problem, but as it didn't, he's back to the same routine as the others.

A good grooming usually cleans them up and a spray of grooming solution adds freshness. The two little ones tend to get messier so need more baths than Monty, who only has three or four a year.

This photo was taken in between baths and not just after one.

003montyp.jpg

I only bath my dogs if they are really grubby (and would if they were smelly or had some kind of staining). They sometimes get summer baths , to cool them down and a warm bath can help if the anal glands are playing up. Also, Teddy did have regular baths, to see if Malaseb eased his skin problem, but as it didn't, he's back to the same routine as the others.

A good grooming usually cleans them up and a spray of grooming solution adds freshness. The two little ones tend to get messier so need more baths than Monty, who only has three or four a year.

This photo was taken in between baths and not just after one.

003montyp.jpg

What a beauty!! Thanks for your reply Barbara
wave.gif

General rule no more than once a week, however some dogs (MARLEY) are so gross and filthy they have to have belly and feet washes in between ;)
There is no rule when it comes to washing a dog you don't have to do it every 2 weeks, monthly etc its totally up to you. However cavs like some other breeds will need to be washed more reguarly then say a staffy as they don't have the kind of coat that repells dirt... Puppies are terrible when it comes to be filthy ... My old cav had to be bathed weekly as he had skin problems, Marley has to be bathed weekly because he has an amazing ability to get himself so smelly and dirty!!!!!!!!

General rule no more than once a week, however some dogs (MARLEY) are so gross and filthy they have to have belly and feet washes in between ;)
There is no rule when it comes to washing a dog you don't have to do it every 2 weeks, monthly etc its totally up to you. However cavs like some other breeds will need to be washed more reguarly then say a staffy as they don't have the kind of coat that repells dirt... Puppies are terrible when it comes to be filthy ... My old cav had to be bathed weekly as he had skin problems, Marley has to be bathed weekly because he has an amazing ability to get himself so smelly and dirty!!!!!!!!

I think Oakley must be related to Marley! He has the same amazing ability. Yesterday he had more leaves and twigs in his undies than there were in the woods:D:paw:

Back