• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cocker Spaniel.

sallymum

I have been minding my mates black female spayed cocker since Wednesday evening till some time Tuesday as they had to get to Scotland as a family member is very sick. Milly is a lovely dog but boy is she hyper, she has boundless energy runs around the house and garden like a hurrician, never stopping also wont do a thing she is told. Has anyone any experience of this breed. I really cant wait for Tuesday. What is really funny about her is that all the dogs i have had here when they come first they are very quiet and well behaved, this dog from the moment she came she has been very different. I have never meet this dog before so its not as if she knows me.
Open to all suggestions.

Perhaps its like kids - when the parents are away, the mice will play - perhaps she is seeing what she can get away with.......

Sorry Sallymum I have no other advice than go back to bed and hide in your bedroom for a few days!;)

Perhaps its like kids - when the parents are away, the mice will play - perhaps she is seeing what she can get away with.......

Sorry Sallymum I have no other advice than go back to bed and hide in your bedroom for a few days!;)

What agreat idea i wish i could. I think this dog is hyper with the owner as well.

I have had cocker spaniels they are loverly dogs but they do like a long walk and playing with sorry no more advice
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

I had a cocker/springer spaniel cross about 3 years ago and he was the exact same. He was just hyper all day and no amount of walking or playing seemed to tire him out. Unfortuneatly his hyperactivity was his undoing, he scarpered out the back door one day and wouldnt come back, 5 mins later as we were trying to find him he got hit by a van and was killed. All I can say is be very patient, very, very firm and careful she doesnt do what Max did! Sorry I couldn't be any more help

This girl is the same have brought her for long walks, wont let her off lead as her recall is bad, played ball in the garden with her, have had her of lead up the lake where she is used to, swimming and running for over an hr but no good she comes home as is still the same. Which is horrible on my 2 as yes they like to play but they also like their sleep and quiet time very much. ah well Tuesday not 2 far away.

do you know it's a show-type cocker or working cocker (wocker)? :)

If it's a "wocker", it will be as mad as a springer spaniel! :) :). It's the same with springers actually - the show-type strain are less lively.

Good luck ;)

do you know it's a show-type cocker or working cocker (wocker)? :)

If it's a "wocker", it will be as mad as a springer spaniel! :) :). It's the same with springers actually - the show-type strain are less lively.

Good luck ;)
Dont know. All i know is that she is black and mental. But super cute.

Now you know what I go through every time I look after my brothers black cocker. ;)

He swears blind that at home she sleeps most of the time but as soon as she gets to my home she is hyper! I think with Cassie its because she gets more attention at my home (my mum had a black cocker as a child) and she is forever trying to get SiânE to play with her but SiânE just takes no notice.

It’s like she has the terrible twos at times. She will leave my birds alone till I walk into the room and then straight away she starts jumping up at their cage because she knows she gets my attention, ie a telling off.

They really need a good run off lead, they like to run zigzag style (cockers don’t do straight lines) problem is they get their energy back very soon.

Problem with cockers is they have the playfulness of a cavalier but being bigger and stronger they can be a handful at times. They really don’t know their strength. Every thing is a big game to them, they like being naughty as its much more fun (well Cassie is) and it gets more attention

Best of luck you’re going to need it.

misty said:
If it's a "wocker", it will be as mad as a springer spaniel! . It's the same with springers actually - the show-type strain are less lively.

Believe me the ‘show types’ can be just as lively and exhibit the working strains in them. Cassie is a nightmare around fireworks night, as soon as she hears a bang her heads up and she wants to be outside to find out where the noise is coming from.

Over my park there is an area that has been left to go wild and over grown and Cassie loves it. It’s a real joy to watch her bound through the undergrowth like its not there.

Speaking of Wockers, every year I like to see all the new puppies that start appearing over the park and this year I have counted 4 puppy wockers. They seem to have been the new fashion this year.

The is what a cocker looks like, the wockers hair is much more straigther and silky
cassie.jpg

Back