• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wyatt, three week update

toblerone

Hi....

Thought I would give everyone an update on how our rescue, Wyatt, is doing after three weeks. We're continuing to make progress, slowly, but progress nonetheless. He's doing well on house-training, or rather we are making progress. I think a lot of the training is has been on our part. Given the opportunity, I think he would not be doing so well, but we're glad for what we've learned :) We've been able to pat him...just a little. We haven't done anything on the leash training. We were waiting until our "consult" with a behaviorist, which we had today. I think we're going to adopt her suggestions for clicker training as our training aid.

In our meeting today, we realized for the first time how very, very hard he has to work to be part of our family. He was exhausted after just a very short clicker session. We are going to have to take this slowly. I try to imagine what it might be like to be transported to a place where I didn't know the rules, didn't know of the language and just wanted to be liked and do what was expected of me, but I didn't know what that was. I'd be really tired too!

The best part about all of this is how well he's getting along with our other two dogs. I can understand why so many rescue organizations won't adopt out dogs to families that don't already have dogs.

We really need to be able to get him out on walks. He is able to run around in our fenced in yard but he's got more energy than this can use up. Some of that energy has been directed at inanimate objects in the house...the random sandal, glove, folder. I'm sure if we can run off some of that energy he'll be less likely to go after things we've forgotten to put away.

Anyway, I'll keep sending in updates. I hope this encourages others to consider those hard-to-place rescues. We've still got a long-haul in front of us but I believe we'll continue to make progress as long as we continue to work at it.

Margaret

Thanks for the update Margaret. I do clicker training with my dog, and although I'm not facing the issues that you are, one thing that I've found generally helpful is this. The first clicker thing that she learned to do was lie down. Once she learned it, we played it a lot before moving on to the next thing. Since that time, whenever she gets unruly or frustrated, we do "lie down" with the clicker. She's very good at it, always does it right, always gets positive feedback (treats) and it seems to help her regain both confidence and self-control.

Clicker training has become a total favorite game--all I have to do is say "clicker?" and she runs into the kitchen and stands in front of the drawer where I keep the clicker.

Get more than one clicker so you can always have one with you, and keep the training sessions frequent and very, very short.

As far as running off his energy in the garden, it might help if he has something to do with his energy out in the garden--try hiding some of his kibble under upside down plastic flower pots in the garden so that he has something to find and work on. We also hang toys from the laundry line so that she can bat them around and play with them.

I try to imagine what it might be like to be transported to a place where I didn't know the rules, didn't know of the language and just wanted to be liked and do what was expected of me, but I didn't know what that was

I love your thinking! I really like that you've put yourself in his place and are able to imagine what he is going through. Sounds like Wyatt is coming along slowly but surely. Keep us updated...sounds like you're doing a great job!

Hi Margaret,

I don't know if you remember me... I had emailed you quite some time ago because I saw that you live in Newton (where I'm from) and also you attended the "Pawties" that Karen has up in Andover. You invited me to come by and introduce myself and Molly sometime when I was in Newton, but we never did get there. :(

How are things? That's awesome that you've got Wyatt now. Congrats and keep us posted on his progress! Have you posted pics!? (I'll take a look in the photo section after I post this message.)

Are you going to the Pawty on 12/15? Perhaps that would be too much, too soon for little Wyatt? I am hoping to go to this one - it will be my first. If you go, PM me so we can look for each other there. It would be fun to meet someone from this board!

-laura

Our goal is to adopt older rescues next year once the fence issue is resolved. I feel there are too many older dogs not getting out fast enough to a forever home of their choice.

(y)Great stuff, so glad to hear that Wyatt is doing well, giving a home to a rescue really is a wonderful thing to be a part of

Back