PDA

View Full Version : I got the bestest pressie ever.......

Claire L
20th November 2007, 08:04 PM
and all you budding Cross-Stitchers are gonna LOVE IT!!!

This arrived for me in the post this morning:

http://www.janndesigns.co.uk/JDdesignDetails.asp?ID=240

A wonderful lady sent this to me and my jaw dropped to the floor when I opened the package and saw this INCREDIBLE cross stitch kit inside.
I am going to practice really hard (it's harder than you think to cross- stitch) and I just can't wait to start on this :w**h**:

Have a look at the site; there are some fabulous Cav kits on there.

Gem
20th November 2007, 09:17 PM
That will be beautiful when you've finished it, I think cross stitch is really hard im terrible at anything like that as I dont have much patience.
Good luck:)

Cavfan
20th November 2007, 09:20 PM
Oh thats fab! I was really into cross stitch a few years ago and managed a blenheim! Now we have a tri might just take it up again!

merlinsmum
20th November 2007, 09:21 PM
Thats great - might even start myself ( if they have a b&T)

BELLE'S MUMMY
20th November 2007, 10:44 PM
That is fab - bet it's fantastic when its finished
xx

Cathy T
21st November 2007, 01:21 AM
:D:D That's the same one I have!! But I haven't quite worked up the nerve to attempt it yet....so many colors...but so pretty!!

Claire L
21st November 2007, 01:24 AM
:D:D That's the same one I have!! But I haven't quite worked up the nerve to attempt it yet....so many colors...but so pretty!!

:eek: Cathy, you have me scared now :shock:

Cathy T
21st November 2007, 02:47 AM
:DI'm a bit of a scaredy cat though when it comes to these things. I've just started to tackle one I thought may have been too tough and found out I am loving it and the little bit more of a challenge it is giving. Give it a go Claire!

casshon
21st November 2007, 09:51 AM
Thats a lovely design. I also love the tri thats lying on the ground with her ears spread out (cause it looks like Bella :luv:). I'll be doing that one next (I have the blen one at the moment) but I must warn you Claire they are difficult enough. You have to be very organised with your colours and keep your concentration. I don't want to put you off, there's no reason you couldn't do it as there are no difficult stitches but a lot of concentration is needed ;). You will be so proud of yourself when you are finished :)

Sue.k
21st November 2007, 10:41 AM
Oh that is gorgeous, I wonder if they have and B&T patterns, I must have a look :) You should take photos of it as you are working on it, it would be great to see the progress as you go along

Sue.k
21st November 2007, 10:42 AM
What is the website, when I click on the link I cant search for others :confused:

Claire L
21st November 2007, 11:56 AM
What is the website, when I click on the link I cant search for others :confused:

http://www.janndesigns.co.uk/JDindex.asp :)

Sue.k
21st November 2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you, I have seen a few there that I want, I have to finish my Tiger first though :)

BarbMazz
21st November 2007, 01:55 PM
I've never done cross stitch; is it difficult to do? Do you think a person with no experience could tackle one of the Cavalier designs and have it turn out decently?

:rolleyes: I hope so, because I ordered the one with the Ruby with his head on the ground; it looks just like my Clancy!

Claire L
21st November 2007, 02:00 PM
I've never done cross stitch; is it difficult to do? Do you think a person with no experience could tackle one of the Cavalier designs and have it turn out decently?

:rolleyes: I hope so, because I ordered the one with the Ruby with his head on the ground; it looks just like my Clancy!

I have no experience either. I just bought a very small card kit to begin with. It requires a lot of concentration bit it is SO worth the effort and does it really matter if it's not perfect?? I bet once you get started, you'll enjoy it :)

BarbMazz
21st November 2007, 09:22 PM
I have no experience either. I just bought a very small card kit to begin with. It requires a lot of concentration bit it is SO worth the effort and does it really matter if it's not perfect?? I bet once you get started, you'll enjoy it :)

Okay, Claire... we're in this together then! Let's try to keep tabs on how each of our projects are going.

You're right; it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.. the effort and the subject matter are what matters most!

Claire L
21st November 2007, 09:38 PM
Okay, Claire... we're in this together then! Let's try to keep tabs on how each of our projects are going.

You're right; it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.. the effort and the subject matter are what matters most!

:thmbsup:You'll have to wait 'til I work up the courage to start mine :badgrin:

BarbMazz
21st November 2007, 11:34 PM
:thmbsup:You'll have to wait 'til I work up the courage to start mine :badgrin:

And I still have to actually HAVE mine! I'm in the US and it is shipping from over there by you. I'll let you know when mine arrives and I've looked over the instructions.... and then work up the courage as well! :rolleyes:

Cathy T
22nd November 2007, 01:06 AM
Okay, you guys tell me when you're ready to start and then I'll put aside whatever one I'm working on and start this one. Hoping I'm not the first to give up!! :cool:

casshon
22nd November 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I did a bit of work on my blen cav last night which hasn't been touched in about 2 months ;)

BarbMazz
22nd November 2007, 03:15 PM
Okay, you guys tell me when you're ready to start and then I'll put aside whatever one I'm working on and start this one. Hoping I'm not the first to give up!! :cool:

Okay, Cathy, we'll let you know! So, you're an experienced cross-stitcher, eh? Is it difficult to learn?

Back in the dark ages of my youth I did crewel work.. do you know if one is more difficult than the other?

Davy
22nd November 2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I did a bit of work on my blen cav last night which hasn't been touched in about 2 months

You're as bad as me, evey one I've done as presents I finish, the ones I do for myself never get the last finishing touches done as I get bored and start something else, always thinking I finish that one tomorrow. I still got my first one waiting to be finished somewhere :eek:

Is it difficult to learn?

This is only a little video on youtube but it gives you the basics you need to know
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_LfGr1v0E

Lisa_T
30th November 2007, 08:26 PM
Cross stitch (as in the stitch itself) is very easy.
You usually use two strands of silk, and work a half row at once before doubling back. Much faster that way too. If you've painted, you also 'block' with colour so you aim to do the bits that are all the same colour at once.

Eg, if you have to do a row of five ##whatever the colour is:

/////

And then you'd double back in the opposite direction

\\\\\

so you get

xxxxx

Of course, the order may vary according to whether you're right or left handed, but that's the general principle.

Main problems
-counting *sigh*
-Being able to see the blimming squares if you're working on fine fabric!

another tip:
You could probably try photocopying a colour bleached photograph onto graph paper and use that as a basis for your own design. That could be quite fun...

Cathy T
1st December 2007, 02:18 AM
So, you're an experienced cross-stitcher, eh?

Might be an overstatement ;)I've been stitching for years but don't go outside my comfort zone. Straight plain old cross stitching for me...no fancy stitches.

Being able to see the blimming squares if you're working on fine fabric!

Reading glasses!!

I had never thought of that until the shop I used to shop at had a pajama party stitching night. It was so much fun! Debbie closed the store to the public at about 6:00 and we all came in to stitch. You had to wear pajamas, we had snacks and drinks and stitched and laughed until 10:00. I picked up so many great tips from experienced stitchers....one of which was reading glasses. Makes it soooo much easier to see those little teeny tiny squares.

Bummer....Debbie had to close the store because the rent increase was just too much. I learned so much from her.

Kristien
25th May 2008, 03:06 PM
We are 5 months later: how are your projects doing? Has someone already finished her cross stitch?

I've just ordered a B/T puppy kit from this shop and I can't wait for it to arrive!