• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Older dogs.

tgrover

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any experience buying older dogs. I am looking at a 3 year old blenheim male dog at the weekend. He looks and sounds perfect.

But my question is how well do dogs that have been in one enviroment all their life do when moved to another. I am just a little worred the dog will not bond with us after we take him as he is used to another family. Or will they just settle in over time??

Well I got Lucy (who is 6) in June just gone and she has settled in beautifully, I think it only took her two days to settle and she is such a joy :luv:

We got Mungo, who is a rescue dog, at the age of about 4, and he settled in just fine. In fact, within a day he was ruling the roost, and settled into his own routine. :p

Most cavaliers will settle with new owners withought a second thought . I've never known one pine for its previous home.

I've known a few of my own cavs lose sight of us on walks & just tag onto a new family rather than look for us,lol

I adopted 2 4-year olds last year and they settled in fine. Going to training or agility class really helps the bond strengthen.

Thanks for your replies. My old labrador hated being with other poeple and pinned for us, just a little worried this type of dog may do the same. Glad its not.

Most cavaliers will settle with new owners withought a second thought . I've never known one pine for its previous home.

I've known a few of my own cavs lose sight of us on walks & just tag onto a new family rather than look for us,lol

AT, that is so funny, and so true :lol::lol:. Talk about cupboard love!

Adopted Pebbles just ten days ago and she settled as soon as we got in the car and she had cuddles. I already had two older Cavis and home and they were fine from the every first moment they meet. She is a gem and would not part with her and cant understand her previous owners letting her go - but Im soooo pleased they did cause she is beautiful and a real angel
P.s Pebbles is 3.5 years old

When I was a young lad my family adopted a 2.5 year old cav and he made himself at home instantly and never looked back!!! He wasnt a rescue dog, he came from a loving home that unfortuneatly couldnt take care of him anymore. Well, it was unfortuneate for them! I was delighted, but he didn't miss his old owners at all! That's also one of the reasons I suspect that thieves :)mad:) go for cavs, they're just too friendly!!!

I loved reading your responses. Really says a lot about the breed....and people's willingness to home an older dog. You guys did good!

It's really rare that a dog won't make a transition to a new family though for an initial period it can be upsetting to them. Sometimes owners don't like to hear that or consider it -- but I see it over and over with the rescue cavaliers I home.

Nonetheless that isn't to say they won't always adore their first owners. It's just that they will bond to a new home fairly easily almost all the time, if that home is a kind and loving one too. :)

Or to put it another way -- my friend Tara is boarding my dogs at the moment while I am out in the US. I know they are perfectly happy there and I know if I never came back, they'd be very happy living with her. They always have fun at Tara's and have a nice garden to run around in too! But when I arrive in there's going to be mayhem for 10 minutes or so as soon as they realise it's me. I'm the person they are most strongly bonded to and they will respond accordingly but when I am not there you'd think Tara was the most important. :lol: Jaspar adores Tara as well so she gets his special whole body wiggle all the time which he only does for select people. But he will shriek for several minutes when I come walk into the room after having been away. :rolleyes::p

This made me laugh out loud. It is sooo Daisy. I swear, if she saw Jack the Ripper walking down the street with a knife, she'd bolt away from me and follow him home! It hurts my feelings sometimes. But to be honest, she loses interest in visitors a little bit once their "newness" wears off. Then she's back to laying on me.

My oldest and dearest friend recently came for an overnight visit. She is most definitely not a dog person in the slightest (I know, I can't imagine, but that's the way it is). Daisy of course went nuts when she came in the house, and was up on her like a shot when she sat down, but Daisy had very good manners and only snuck in one ear lick and then pretty much left her alone the rest of the visit.

Luke came to live with me when he was 4 months shy of his 4th birthday. He is a retired stud dog that the breeder was looking for a home with other cavaliers. He bonded to me the day I took him home. It took him longer to find his place with the other cavaliers. Luke is very loving and also makes me laugh with his idiosyncrasies.

Both my girlies were four yrs old (at least that's what I'm saying icon_whistling) when they rescued me and I wouldn't trade them for the world and all its gold. They are both bonded to me but will happily leave me if hubby is having a snack icon_devil They sleep together and eat together without any problems. They have just enriched our lives so much...

Like Karlin said, although my dogs adore us all, I know that they'd be happy in any good home.

One of my oldies moved in with us at the age of 9 and his owner had died. :(:(. When he moved in with us, he hadn't wagged for 3 weeks :(. He is now the happiest, barkiest, funniest oldie you could imagine - mind you, he is soooooooooooo spoilt ;).

Cavi's are naturally happy dogs and much as we'd like them to miss us when we're away, I don't think it works like that ;).

Both of my cavs do that regularly, very embarrassing :D, in fact Cody will attempt to go off after other people even when she's on lead:dogwlk:

My Cody came to us in June when she was 8, she ran around my sitting room jumping on every chair tail wagging ten to the dozen then settled on my knee for a cuddle so I'd say she made herself at home straight away,

Back