• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What would you do in this situation?

Emma n Renco

Hi everyone, we are looking for advise from people who have had cavaliers for a long time. We are looking for a mate for Harvey and we have been offered one for free. She's a black and tan which is just what we are looking for, but she is 6 years old and has had lots of puppies in her time. The problem is, Harvey has not had the op yet and she hasn't been spade and we don't want any additions, but also we don't know what to look out for with an older dog. What problems could be an issue with her at an older age? I find it hard to believe that anyone could breed from a dog for so long and then when she's 'past it' just give her away! Also does anyone have a 6 year old? How energetic are they? We just want to have an idea before we get all excited and fall in love and just take her without thinking the potential health and expense issues first. We really appreciate your knowledge and advise here.... Emma n Renco

Last edited:
Jake is 5 but close enough to 6 I think to tell you what he is like. He is very active, likes to play and go for walks. He doesn't have puppy energy like he did at 2 years old but, God willing, still have a good 6-8 years ahead of him.

I would suggest you get her spayed as soon as possible though to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Hope this helps.

Costs are relative. You could have a puppy run up thousands (as have many belonging to people on this board!), and an older dog have not a single problem. Six year old dogs are great! They have the wisdom and more relaxed attitude of an older dog and are generally MUCH easier to manage as a second dog than starting all over with a puppy.

It also sounds like she is very much due her retirement. It is sad if she has had lots of puppies -- a good breeder does not breed lots and lots of litters, the average on an excellent bitch being perhaps three with retirement by six. A good breeder also would never think of rehoming before spaying. If I were there I'd be very eager to take her as she sounds so deserving of a nice retirement from being a puppy machine. :( I'd get her spayed immediately as well -- this is important healthwise for her. A pregnancy always holds FAR more risk to the dog's life than a spay. It is also very difficult and inadvisable to manage an intact male and an uspayed female -- many would feel really both should be neutered for health and welfare reasons, but if you are only going to do one, immediately do her. A spay will help reduce the risk of mammary tumours considerably, for example. Also unspayed older females are at highest risk of the womb infection pyometra which is always painfully lethal if untreated, and is often spotted too late for treatment.

If you decide you are not interested in this dog please let me know immediately, as I can put you in touch with Dutch rescue. I am sure that if you at least take her as if intending to keep her (to get her safely into rescue and beyond risk of being put back into whelping puppies for the remainder of her life), you can then pass her along to the many reputable Dutch breeders who will ensure she is spayed and placed in a loving home. :)

That's a great idea Karlin, the problem here is that he doesn't sound like a reputable breeder or a very nice man to be honest, hís attitude is you take her now or never and we don't want to miss out on an opportunity it just feels really rushed. If we did take her would we need to get her spayed before leaving her alone with Harvey ideally?

Not if she isn't in heat. Ask the breeder when she was last in heat -- they tend to come into heat only every 6-8 months. Ideally you spay mid cycle. Or about three months after her last litter if she was pregnant on her last cycle. I'd say you will take her if you can and see how she fits in. If you have any doubts I can link you with rescue. I know it will be helpful even if you can hold her a few days and keep her safe. Just act like you definitely, enthusiastically want her. I have a feeling you might not let her go though once you have her. :)

Harvey will only be interested in her if she is in heat or coming into heat. However even then you just need to keep them fully separated while you decide what to do next. You can spay during a heat but this is not generally recommended if it can be avoided as it is very disruptive hormonally to the female. There's a slight extra risk to a spay while in heat -- but it is still far lower than the risk a dog runs during pregnancy and while whelping! I have had no choice but to spay during heat a couple of times, with no ill effects.

I hope you take this little girl, I got my first cavalier as a retired breeder at the age 6. She is the most sweet loving dog. Moosie is the one who started my addition to the breed. I have since added 2 more.
We have been very lucky, she's been healthy and happy for the last 7 years.
My daughter now has 2 of her own.
Cavalier are just the potatoes chips you can have just one.

Connie
Moosie 11, Koby 4, Gina 2

Great news - we are going to get her on Friday at 7pm!! Whatever happens I feel that she will be better off out of there. Very excited and no idea what to expect - just had a thought though - I hope she's house trained if she isn't I imagine that would be a nightmare, not even sure where she lives normally. It'll all become more clear on Friday anyway... Thanks for all of your advice - this forum is brilliant!

That is very exciting! I'm so glad you're taking her... we'll all know that she is now safe. :)

Please keep us updated! And pics as soon as possible. :snap:

-laura

I haven't found that older dogs are any more difficult to housetrain than a very smart older puppy. Many dogs regress when they change homes anyway, so just reinforce that she goes outside and give her many chances to go outside at first (reward! reward all the good behavior you want repeated). If you already have a house trained dog-- they usually learn the best from a good example.

:xctly:Agree -- always view a rescue or any unknown dog as potentially starting from puppy point but usually it is a lot easier to housetrain an adult even if they are not trained -- simply because they can already hold themselves. And as Sandy says, when they have an example of a housetrained dog in the house already, they learn extra fast most of the time as they follow that dog's example. Most dogs definitely can be expected to have a few accidents when changing environment.

What great news!!!!!!! Can't wait to see pictures. Please keep us posted. Judy and Dixie

Great news - we are going to get her on Friday at 7pm!! Whatever happens I feel that she will be better off out of there. Very excited and no idea what to expect - just had a thought though - I hope she's house trained if she isn't I imagine that would be a nightmare, not even sure where she lives normally. It'll all become more clear on Friday anyway... Thanks for all of your advice - this forum is brilliant!
:jump: That's great news! Two Cavs are DEFINITELY better than one - enjoy!!

What fantastic news!! :rah:

Can only back up what Sandy and Karlin have already said re housetraining, I find adults far easier than puppies as they can already hold themselves and will follow the lead of another adult dog.

Can't wait to see pics of your new girl, what's her name by the way?

So pleased you are having her - this sort of thing breaks my heart. When I was on the hunt for Cavi number three a breeder cut from the same cloth also offered me a Ruby bitch no questions asked! His exact words were " as soon as her puppies have been sold you can collect her" I questioned him further...he offered to get rid of her the SAME day her last puppy went. As it was we decided the time was not right for a third Cavi but had I known about this site and rescues I would have taken her even if it meant she went to a rescue and a new loving home. I could kick myself now. How can people be so cruel:(

You would be amazed I can tell you!

A few years back I made the acquantance of a perfectly respectable sounding lady, she adores her Cavaliers and although she does not show she breeds them. Dogs are always perfectly well kept, no expense spared, wonderful house etc, etc. Reading the latest copy of the UK Kennel Club Breed Record Supplement I spotted she had registered a litter, reading further it was that bitches SIXTH litter! The bitch herself was born in 2000! :eek: I was horrified!

The UK Kennel Club will register up to 6 litters from 1 bitch and will register litters born to bitches up the age of eight years by the way, they will also consider registering from older bitches too if you apply beforehand under "special circumstances"! :eek: Personnally I think 3 litters is more than enough for any bitch to raise in her lifetime!

How many litters should a bitch have? And from what age to what age (if you know what I mean)

If a bitch is over 2.5 and passed all her health tests-- and her sire and dam are over 5 and passed, I'd breed her once (to the best match for the bitch)-- if she doesn't produce better than she is -- try to a different sire. If she still doesn't produce better than she is - she gets spay.

The maximum number of litters for a female IMO-- I'd say 3 or 4. The oldest female I've bred was 6.

How many litters should a bitch have? And from what age to what age (if you know what I mean)

Depends on the bitch herself, personnally my girls are 2 and a half as per the Club guidelines and with clear heart and eye certs etc before I breed from them.
Some bitches are fantastic Mums and others are not so maternal, some give birth easily whilst others have a tough time of it.
Club guidelines also recommend no bitch to be allowed more than 2 Cesarian Sections in her lifetime.

So based on the above my girls have their first litter at 2 and a half, then if they give birth easily and are good attentive Mum's they will have a second litter 12-18 months later, followed by a third and final litter another 12- 18 months after that.
Other things that can affect my decision on when/if to breed from them is size of previous litters, a bitch who has had say 2-3 pups in a litter will not have had as much taken out of her as a bitch who has reared 5-7 pups. Giving birth puts a huge strain on their hearts too, this should also be taken into consideration. Some bitches will do what I call "Feeding off their backs" whereby they give EVERYTHING to their pups and lose a lot of condition themselves, these are the bitches who need a longer rest period between litters.

I have had a bitch who had a litter of 7, she was rested for 2 years before being mated again, low and behold another litter of 7! She was duly retired as I felt she had given me enough, on the other end of the scale a Tri girl of mine has also had 2 litters, 3 pups in the first litter sadly one was still born, then just 1 puppy in her second litter, BOTH litters were C-Sections, so she is now retired now and doing a fine job of looking beautiful on the sofa! :lotsaluv:

Basically they are all individual and should be judged on their own merits, my own girls start at 2 and half and I prefer for them to retire at aged 5, 6 at the latest. There are exceptions too, such as a successful show bitch who has her first litter later in life, but as I said, each should be judged on their own merits, ease of dellivery, good mothering skills, litter size etc, etc are all factors that should be taken in account!

Hope this helps??

It all makes a lot of sense thanks. Just something I will bear in mind if I complete my set and get a Ruby, but I dont think so! My 3 are wonderful

Back