• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi, it's been a long time!!/Advice needed please

estelle

Hello everyone,
Some of you may remember me? I have Charlie he's 1 1/2 now and doing just fine, he had loads of problems at first but has got over most of them now and is just as soppy as a wet blanket!!

We have a new addition arriving on Saturday he's called Bailey he's a 10 week old ruby cav!!
can't wait he's absolutely gorgeous but I was wondering/hoping if anyone could give me any advice on introducing them for the first time but also the feeding/sleeping arrangements (well any advice on anything really)! Bailey will have his crate to sleep/rest in, should I feed him in there too? should they be fed seperately or together? do I let Bailey onto Charlie's bed or not?? Do i let Bailey play with Charlies toys?? You can tell I need advice!!!!

Obvioulsy we want things to go as smooth as possible, what's the best way to achieve this?

I have this image in my head of them both snuggled up together!

Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks

Hi Estelle

I have also just got a Ruby pup (Rudi, 13 weeks) as a friend for my 15 month old Blenhiem (Harvey).

Harvey was a little bewildered at first and he also snarled at Rudi a few times when Rudi wanted to play and he didn't, but 3 weeks later they are best of friends and inseperable.

I fed my 2 seperately and always Harvey first. Rudi also had his own bed, they both eat side by side now and also share a bed. I did buy a new larger bed for them to share.

I did have Rudi a few of his own toys but he now shares with Harvey.

As for the image of them snuggling up together, is this what you mean?

2056582413_ca0a22b649.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Last edited:
Awwww, that's so sweet! yes that's definately the image!! Your Harvey looks identical to my Charlie!
So how did you introduce them for the 1st time? did you take Harvey out, bring Rudi in then bring Harvey back in or was it neutral terriotry (sp)?

I've read so much contradictory information! just wanna get it right (hopefully)

Thanks for the piccie, it's so beautifull!

Its Saturday, I bet you are sooo excited, I have goosebumps for you.

My mind was boggling with how to do this, like yourself I read all different approaches, so we just decided to bring him in the home and introduce him to Harvey there. I just brought Rudi into the house and let Harvey have a good sniff of him. Then I put them in the garden and let them have a play together, I stayed with them all the time just so Harvey didn't get too rough. It went very well really, Harvey only ever snapped when he had had enough of playing.

Harvey just followed him around the house for a few days, they are just brilliant together. I have only had Rudi 4 weeks and they do everything together. Its better than I imagined.

The one thing I tend to forget is that Harvey is still very young himself, he looks so old compared to Rudi.

The whole idea of getting another cavvy was to let my husband have a dog on his lap on a night, unfortunately Rudi just wants to be with Harvey, it is soooo sweet to see them curled up in bed together and also on my lap.

I look forward to seeing pictures of Charlie and Bailey. Soooo excited for you.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Morning Anna!!

Well it's 7.27 and it's Saturday i'm not usually up this early it feels like christmas morning!!!
I've got butterflies in my tummy, I just hope it all goes well?

The house is all puppy proofed and i've told Charlie to be on his best behaviour!!

I showed my hubby the photo of Harvey & rudy and straight away he said that's Charlie! hopefully i'll be able to post a lovely photo like that soon.

We're collecting Bailey at 10.30 so i'll let you know how we get on?????

Bye for now

Bet you have a busy house! :lol:

There's a post with ;inks to lots of advice on introducing a second dog in the Caring for your Cavalier section of the Library.

I know we will see pictures of them snuggling soon! Most books tell you to introduce in a neutral area, but we didn't really have a place. We introduced Riley (55lb lab) and Libby in the yard. For weeks, I watched them play together. At first Libby would really try to lay with Riley. Every time Riley would get up and move! Eventually, Libby got her way!

I feed them in separate areas, both at the same time. Really because Libby's kibble is smaller than Riley's. Libby sometimes sneaks water from Riley's bowl, but other than that they play great together.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

Well things went really well, although Bailey has a cough and is on antibiotics (bless him) but he's settled in nicely. Charlie's not sure at all and keeps running away as fast as he can!! Bailey is intent (sp) on sniffing Charlie's bits and he doesn't like it one bit he's growled at him a couple of times but all in all things have been better than I imagined.

We had a brilliant night not one peep from Bailey it was Charlie that cried a little when we went to bed! I told him "Charlie on your bed" and that was it untill 6.30 this morning, again it was Charlie whining at the bottom of the stairs, Bailey was in his crate just looking around!!

Ever since we got Bailey home he's been doing his toilets on his pads it's amazing! and he's tucking into his food nicely too!

The only problem is that Bailey has taken to Charlie's bed and now Charlie sleeps on the sofa!!

I'll try to get some piccies up soon!

Bye for now

Please to hear it went so well Estelle. Sorry to hear Bailey has a cough hope its better soon.

Rudi also stole Harvey's bed when he first arrived, Harvey eventually moved him out again, but now they share a bed cuddled up together.

Look forward to seeing those pictures soon.

Anna (Mum of Harvey& Rudi)

I'm glad to hear hear Bailey's settled in, sounds like he's already made himself at home he'll make your Christmas a special one this year

Back